Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collings fdtn B17 crash at Bradley ITNL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2019 at 12:19pm
This B17 was in Rapid City and I and two friends went to see it along with a B24.  Side by side. My father in law, a pilot,  flew B24's and bombed Iwo Gima (SP?). His leather flight jacket is covered with red bombs for each mission. We still have it. He never talked about his experience. Later he flew SA16 sea planes and did air/sea rescue. Later, B36's and served with SAC. He retired a Lt. Colonel.   

While at the airport I ran into a fellow wearing a WW2 flight jacket . Turns out he was a flight engineer on B17's.  I had quite a conversation with him about the generator that was in the rear of the plane there on display. He flew with the 8th out of England. He said the generator was never in the plane. It sat out under the wing before a mission , charging the batteries. If it was running, they were going. If not, they weren't. Funny how a thing like that sticks forever in their memories. It was a terrible experience since over 70 % did not return. No wonder they vomited and climbed in. Most will never talk about it. Some, never would get in another plane. Tells you much about the bad experience. The technology of these old war birds was great for the time and still they were dangerous. When they were shot up and hit with flak, the cable controls and hydraulics were vulnerable. Once they were damaged they had no time to repair them and down they went. Engine fires with all that high octane gasoline, stuck bombs, a dangerous situation.

It sounds like something caused engine failure, low power and they didn't make the runway. It hit some runway lights or items that damaged the running gear and caused it to veer off into de-icing buildings and equipment at the airport. Then burned and killed 7 out of 14 in the plane. The pilot and co pilot were fatalities. A fellow on board with broken legs and ribs managed to get a hatch open and helped save 7. He was carrying fire resistant gloves and was a experienced emergency person. This all is very sad and I'm sorry for the loss of life.    
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 6:02pm
Looks like an end of a era...

Associated Press-

WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. — The Federal Aviation Administration revoked a foundation’s permission to carry passengers aboard its World War II-era planes after a deadly crash in October.

The agency cited safety concerns in its decision to prohibit the Collings Foundation from chartering its historic B-17 bomber, the Hartford Courant reported Wednesday.

FAA officials found that there were problems with two of the aircraft’s four engines and that the Collings Foundation did not follow the requirements to operate the aircraft and carry passengers and “lacked a safety culture when operating the B-17G,” according to the decision released Wednesday.

The aircraft with 13 people aboard crashed at Bradley International Airport on Oct. 3 after encountering mechanical trouble on takeoff.

The four-engine, propeller-driven B-17 bomber struggled to get into the air and slammed into a maintenance building at the Hartford airport as the pilots circled back for a landing, officials and witnesses said at the time of the crash.

Collings spokesman Hunter Chaney did not respond to an emailed request for comment Wednesday evening.

Edited by mbullism - 26 Mar. 2020 at 6:04pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 6:52pm
1940s bomber grounded; 1940s jeeps roll on!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 8:39pm
Sad to see another 17 gone. I have some great pictures of her. I was going to take a ride about ten years ago but got there too late.

Longer article I saw talked about improperly gapped spark plugs and a jerry rigged magneto. FAA really went after the maintenance work and procedures.

FAA grounded everything that they use for rides. Really sad that people cant go up in a piece of history. On my bucket list to do.

On a side note, I hear they found another P-38 in Greenland under 300+ feet of ice. The 17s were crushed. https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a22575917/wwii-p-38-discovered-under-300-feet-of-ice-in-greenland/

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 26 Mar. 2020 at 8:41pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 9:03pm
The Collins foundation is not the only operator of WWII aircraft.There are quite a number of them in airworthy condition as well as a few more heading that direction. Including the Lacey Lady 44-85790being restored to flight condition here in Salem Oregon. I have wandered around her a few times at the air port.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 10:04pm
I may be mistaken, but I thought a large chunk of the Littlefield Armor collection went to the Collins Foundation. I wonder how much of it will get broken up to pay for settlements.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I may be mistaken, but I thought a large chunk of the Littlefield Armor collection went to the Collins Foundation. I wonder how much of it will get broken up to pay for settlements.

I have to believe if you're flying the general public on 70yo platforms you carry some pretty hefty insurance... I hope.  It wasn't $450 a 20 minute trip to pay for gas... I hope

unless, of course you're found neglectful... then ,,,

Edited by mbullism - 26 Mar. 2020 at 11:58pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 12:08am
This past summer as a retirement present from my kids I had the opportunity to fly in the collins foundation TP-40n Warhawk . It was a dream come true for me. We flew for 1.1 hours and I got to be at the controls and fly the plane for awhile. We did rolls and barrel rolls and lots of fun aerobatics. I will never forget that experience. It was so primitive inside just wonderful. It reminded me of my old jeep in a lot of ways even the way it smelled. The B17 was there too and we toured it. It was sad to then hear of it crashing a short time later. Those are incredible machines.
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 1:21am
Frank,
That's pretty cool. I would love to do that.

I got to sit in a P51. Primitive and cramped is what I thought. I used to live in Hollister, CA and there was about five of them kept at the airport. Sometimes three of them would come right over my house as they lined up to land. I could hear those Merlins miles away. If I was working on the car, I always had to stop and look up.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 5:24am
Ya P51 is awesome . I got to sit in the Gunfighter once.
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12