Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado CJ3A Ranch Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado CJ3A Ranch Jeep
    Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:26pm
Hello everyone. Fisrt off, I apologize for the sideways pictures. I cant for the life of me get them to flip the right way! I'm new here with my new to me Jeep. My name is Luke and I live in Southern Colorado. My new truck is a 1950 CJ3A used on some land here in Southern Colorado since at least 1965. The previous owner passed away 20 years ago and it was put into storage. 

It has almost no rust but is dinged up and has a couple pretty good cracks in the tub. It was definitely a work truck. It is equipped with a Harrison heater which is a nice bonus. It has an L134 from 1945. At one point it had a Studebaker 6 in it, so the hood was cut, then patched with a piece of galvanized when the Go Devil was put back in. The engine spins by hand, and I have pulled the plugs and put some oil in the cylinders to soak while I get everything else ready to try to start it. The wiring harness is a crispy critter, so I am replacing the engine compartment wiring. I've got carb and fuel pump rebuild kits on the way, as well as tune up parts.  

I pulled the gas tank and found that the poor thing would work better as a pasta strainer than a fuel tank. I soaked it in oxalic acid to clean out the insides, then cut out all the thin metal and welded a patch in.

The goal is to get it running and driving by the end of fall. I've got new tires on the way, so I should have it sitting higher off the ground in the next week. The tires are Deestone D503's, which I realize are low end import rubber, but they will get me going on my limited budget. Unfortunately it's sitting on 15" rims, which look original, but I'm told it should be on 16" rims. Ill track down the correct rims at some point. I'm sure its going to need all new brake hydraulics from sitting, but we will see if the cylinders can be honed. Let me know what you guys think! I know she's beat, but I got it cheap!

1950 CJ3A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:39pm
Looks like a project...welcome to the Forum. We like pictures...keep us posted on your progress.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:46pm
Looks great!! I'll be following along for sure!
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:47pm
Welcome!  That looks like a very nice jeep you’ve got there. Lots of potential. We are very fortunate here in Colorado in that what we consider a very rough, rusted jeep (not saying yours is, I can’t see that part) is highly sought after in other parts of the country. 
  I like the way you talk, about returning things to their original configuration. 
  You can get all the help you need right here, and there are a bunch of us here from Colorful Colorado that will be glad to help out, too. Come visit us at the Colorado FlatFender Club’s Fall Colors Tour in September. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 4:08pm
I would also offer a warm Welcome!

I'm about to save you some money. Your 15" rims are original.  They were offered as an option to the 16" rims.  The tires were 15r x 7.00 which offered a farmer "better float" characteristics.  Keep the wheels.  Spend your money on other things.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 1:34am
Great jeep. 
Thanks for sharing your pictures. 
Hold your phone sideways with the camera in the upper left corner. That will make the pics post correctly.
Had to train myself to not take jeep pics the wrong way. 

In my experience it’s usually better to buy new wheel cylinders and master cylinder, most the time there pitted so bad they will start leaking again. I use rock auto or 4 Wheelparts online. 
The gas tank repair looks great. 
Keep up the good work 

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 2:21am
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm glad to hear that the rims are original. I suspected they were. The plan is to keep the jeep "pretty original". It will never be a show car and wont be used that way, so I may upgrade the brakes and make a few tweaks here and there, but it will pretty much be stock.

Bruce, I left Colorado for Northern Oregon for a few years. It's nice to be back in a place where the sun will bake the paint off, but there isn't much rust! Mine has some pitting in the bed, and a quarter sized hole in the side where dirt got stuck in a hat channel, but otherwise it's dry. Pretty banged up though! I would love to go to the fall colors tour, but I think its going to take me a little longer to get it safe for the road. Next year! 
1950 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 2:45am
  Come to the tour! You don't need your jeep. It's too late to get your jeep in as a participant anyhow, but there's always an empty seat somewhere. Come ride with us a day or two. If that doesn't get you rarin' to go for next year, I don't know what will. Or bring your unfinished jeep so you can show it off and we can see it.
BW

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Come to the tour! You don't need your jeep. It's too late to get your jeep in as a participant anyhow, but there's always an empty seat somewhere. Come ride with us a day or two. If that doesn't get you rarin' to go for next year, I don't know what will. Or bring your unfinished jeep so you can show it off and we can see it.
BW

If you bring your unfinished jeep, there might be two or three guys there enthusiastic enough to help finish it for you. Last year they rebuilt an engine from scratch parts and it ran. There is gathered each year at the FCT some of the most capable jeep mechanics in the world.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 1:49am
Can you guys send me a link to some info or give me a date and place? I would love to come and take a look! 

I popped the belt off this morning and found that there are some pulley alignment issues. The water pump, generator, and crank pulleys all are in different planes. I can get the generator pulley lined up with some adjusting, but I'm not sure what to do about the water pump pulley and crank pulley being out of wack. Do I have the wrong water pump on here or something? Also note, I have a dual crank pulley. I assume this is because my engine is an early CJ engine from 1945 and this is an old military thing? It looks like the front pulley is damaged like something was rubbing on it. Not sure how that happened, but the belt had a groove worn in it from that. 

Thanks all!

1950 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 3:29am
  On the Forum Home page, scroll down until you see "Shows and Get-Togethers". Click on that and it will take you to "CFFC Fall Color Tours 2020". CFFC is the Colorado Flat Fender Club. Congratulations, you are now a member.  BW

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 3:39am
I see lots of goofy things going on.  Generator looks crooked... guessing that it isnt mounted correctly. Check the maintenance manual for correct mounting. The crank pulley doesn't look right. The pulley grove closest to the timing cover should be smaller than the front grove. Has it been altered or crushed some how? The water pump pulley appears to be too far forward. Not sure what's going on there. Maybe it's been rebuilt incorrectly?
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 2:35pm
The crank pulley does look like it was mashed. I'll have to get a new one of those. I'll also take the water pump apart and see whats going on there. The generator should be pretty straight forward to figure out. 
1950 CJ3A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 2:40pm

Also make sure that the spacer is behind the crank pulley.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 3:33pm
If it were me, I'd do all 3 that Joe suggested.

As far as the waterpump pulley appearing to be too far out on the shaft, I'd buy an airtex AW52 from RockAuto for $41.79 and replace the pump. That gives you a chance to look into the water jacket on the engine and evaluate how much crap needs to be flushed out if the rust prevention additives in the coolant was past it's life expectancy. Plus, if the pulley was in the wrong location, it could be improperly pressed on after a rebuild, or the shaft is worn.

As for the generator, if the original brackets and step bolts are in place, the rubber bushings are likely shot (rotted). I know Ron (G503.com) has the bolts and bushings built to Willys spec, and I suspect Walcks has them too.

The crank pulley needs some investigation. Either your leaf spring center bolt on the driver side snapped and the axle moved back and hit the crankshaft, or the rubber engine mounts rotted away and the engine moved forward and down far enough that the axle tube was rubbing on the crank pulley.

All these parts are available from REPUTABLE dealers referenced on this site. 

Welcome !
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 3:42pm
Oh and the belt that is commonly sold is 42.5 inches long, and leaves the generator at the far end of adjustment. If you find a 41.5" long belt you will be happier.

When trying to order these parts it can be confusing because while the narrow groove on your engine is meant to accommodate the belt for the Governor, the same crank pulley and water pump design was used into the 1970's and the other groove was meant for the Emissions pump.

Some generators also had a dual groove pulley for a very short belt that ran to a hydraulic plow pump that piggybacked the generator.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2020 at 4:05pm
Buy a new water pump, crank pulley. rock auto is a great place to obtain parts. Also replace your battery cables with the largest avail like 2/0 to help that 6 volt system turn the starter. 

I may have missed it but does your engine turn over by hand? 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 5:31am
Alright, I'll add the pump, pulley, and 41.5" belt to the list. Joe F., I think you are right about the engine coming into contact with something it shouldn't have, as the pulley is curled back like it came into contact with something as it ran.

Weewilly, I'll look at the manual to check about the spacer you speak of.

Jeeper, I already had some big cables on the list. I've owned a few 6V cars, and good grounds, clean contacts, and good battery cables are key to not spending all your time chasing electrical gremlins! The engine does turn by hand. I've been soaking the cylinders with oil before I try to start it. I've had good luck with VW engines that have sat for decades, but flat 4 engines are less prone to water getting inside. That said, when I pulled the plugs the cylinders looked like water hadn't gotten in there. I should know when I do a compression test and try to start it in the next couple of weeks. 
1950 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>