Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2017!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2017 - 23 Sep. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 4:41pm
Hay everybody, I was talking to our hobby shop owner the other day and he said he has  an L head engine that was rebuilt by NAPA in the mid 70'S he is wanting to sell. It has never been started since rebuild and is inside. Turns over OK. no manafolds. He told me that his dad ran napa at that time and rebuilt it for a spare engine but never needed it. I suspect that it wouldn't hurt to at least replace the seals but other than that I don't know of anything else since it has not been run. He doesn't know what to ask for it . I can bring it to FCT if someone buys it.his business phone is 970 249 1004.  Mike
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 5:51pm
He's going to have to put a price on it. It's pretty hard to buy something like this, because we don't really know what was done to it in the 70's, and he may not remember. If it truly is REBUILT and done well, it could be a really good deal. At least it was professionally done. 
  I'll go out on a limb and make an offer: I'll give him what he would have charged a customer for it in 1975, and I'll pick it up at FCT.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 10:52pm
Sorry but I really don't know the particulars except that he says it was done right.I understand his dad owned the store at the time so I would guess it was a thorough rebuild. I told him I had his phone # on the forum and he would be glad to talk to anyone interested. He has no clue as to the worth. If you strike a deal I will be glad to bring it to FCT. Mike
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 12:45am
I'll give him a call.  BW

tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 8:56pm

I'll be experiencing vicariously through he eyes of the photographers! I'll catch you all in 2018......

:-(
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

Hay everybody, I was talking to our hobby shop owner the other day and he said he has  an L head engine that was rebuilt by NAPA in the mid 70'S he is wanting to sell. It has never been started since rebuild and is inside. Turns over OK. no manafolds. He told me that his dad ran napa at that time and rebuilt it for a spare engine but never needed it. I suspect that it wouldn't hurt to at least replace the seals but other than that I don't know of anything else since it has not been run. He doesn't know what to ask for it . I can bring it to FCT if someone buys it.his business phone is 970 249 1004.  Mike

I called him, he says it's an F-head.Cry I got him to say it three times, just to be sure. You might post it for him over on the CJ3B Page, and/or the Early CJ5 Page.   BW

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 1:45am
I just completed a major milestone in updating the shop for Willys service.  My neighbor gave me a hand with his tractor to help me lift the columns of a two-post lift into place this afternoon.  We've got them bolted down to the floor.  Now to get the cables connected, and finish plumbing the hydraulics.  Then I need to pull 220v over to the pump. 

I'm glad to have them up off the floor, and standing up instead of having them taking up lots of floor space.  I'm looking forward to using the lift to work on jeeps.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

I'll be experiencing vicariously through he eyes of the photographers! I'll catch you all in 2018......

:-(

Well...that bitesExclamation
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 8:01pm
Hey Mike

While my wife was shopping for groceries this week, I was checking out the liquor department.  Guess what, I found a bottle of Tin Cup Whiskey, complete down to the tin cup for a lid.  Supposedly distilled in denver from corn, rye and malted barley.  Just curious if you have tried it or know anything about it.
Love the name.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 12:23am
Fltfndr, that's a tin shot glass!
I've tried it, it's pretty good, but I've kinda taken a liking to rye lately. At the price, you would expect it to be pretty good, and I think it's as good as the price would make you expect. But then, I'm no connoisseur, either.     BW

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 1:59am
The moral of the story is "Don't pass on Tin Cup!"
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 4:42pm
fltfndr,  I haven't tried Tin Cup Whiskey yet.  Guess you might want to bring a bottle to share.  Always up to sample some new stuff.  And maybe we can share a shot at the top of the pass.  Suppose we could get a promotional fee if we sent them photos of us doing that??
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:25am
That could make a really cool promotional photo!  I don't usually indulge, but I would for a photo op like that.  If Ol' Unreliable would make it...  Unhappy
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:59am
Mike, you're gonna need a bigger bottle...
Tom
1949 CJ3A

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 5:45pm
I've been working on cleaning up the shop and other improvements.  I installed some new lights along the garage doors to brighten up inside the front of the shop.  I've also got the two-post lift installed but I'm having a problem with the motor/pump.  It starts out running fine and lifting the arms like it should.  Then it acts like something is plugging up the pump.  I've taken the pump apart 3 times now to try to find the problem.  All the O-rings look good.  The springs are all good.  The ball valves look like they should all work.  No trash anywhere in the pump.  All the galleries are clear.  I just don't get it. 

Does anyone have any words of advice?  I've checked into getting a replacement pump and motor.  Only $1200.  More than I paid for the whole lift.  I'd prefer not to go that route if I can fix this one, or find another used pump/motor that works.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 6:50pm
Is the reservoir original? Vent is open into the tank? Maybe it runs out of oil ? John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 10:23pm
John, the reservoir is original.  The vent for it is open.  It's not running out of oil.  I've got over 12 quarts in a 13 quart reservoir.  Sometimes I can get the lift to go all the way up like it should.  Then I'll let it down to the floor.  Then when I try to run it up again it stalls.  It acts like there is back pressure impeding the pump.  If I pull the drain handle while the pump is still on, the motor spins up and pumps fluid back into the tank.  As soon as I let go of the drain handle, it acts like it's plugged up again.  I checked the outflow valve (a ball and socket valve) and it's clean with a good spring.  I'm beginning to think that something inside the pump is binding or worn and begins to catch after the pump is run for 20-30 seconds. 

I'm going to reconfigure the outlet to pump back into the reservoir directly, without the back pressure of lifting the arms, and see what the unit does then.  I'm trying any thing I can think of to see how it behaves and hopefully something with make it begin to work right. 

I'm open to suggestions......
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 12:18am
Those have ungodly power when working with hydrallic cylinders. If it went to the top and doesn't always stop in the same spot, then I would think there are no dents in the cylinder stopping things.  The valve sounds fine also. Is there a relief valve that opens and returns oil to the tank if something over pressures? Possible weak spring in it?  Foreign material that gets on the seat of it?  I had a car that had intermittent oil pressure and it ended up being a small chunk of cotter pin flopping around that would get on the relief seat holding it open. I'm guessing since I've never seen your unit. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>