Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2017!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2017 - 23 Sep. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeephawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 10:03pm
Mike,  
Sorry to hear about these hassles.  If there’s anything we can do to help out, please speak up.  It seems like there’s always one in the crowd trying to spoil things for everyone else.
54cj3b
55 pu
56cj5
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 10:15pm
Next year I could bring him a mason jar of Eastern mountain juice as a peace offering....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 3:23am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Next year I could bring him a mason jar of Eastern mountain juice as a peace offering....

Next year I might need a jar of that juice just to help me put up with those knuckleheads!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 5:10am
Just thinking outside the box, what would it cost to have a water truck treat the roads that week to keep the dust down?
Or does this just open the door for him to be the one to be paid to water them?
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 7:08am
It still sounds like you have idiots for neighbors. I have a friend that has a house North of Klamath OR. Part of the HOA bit is to clean the roads. A couple of old coots have a dozer or a grader to do the job. Mark stuck all 3 of his 4X4s in his driveway. The old coot just smiled and backed up in the grader and started pulling trucks out.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Just thinking outside the box, what would it cost to have a water truck treat the roads that week to keep the dust down?

X2, I was thinking the same thing. The gun club I belong to is located on a county gravel road, we would get complaints from area residents about speeding and dust and it was all blamed on gun club users. Membership decided to have the road treated with dust control, and asked all members/participants to monitor speed, then a couple other member spent the day with video cameras monitoring traffic, turns out several of the area residents were the worst offenders ...... If it costs another $50-$100 for my 2018 FCT participation for dust controll, I'm ok with that

Lee

Edited by Lee (MN) - 18 Oct. 2017 at 12:04pm
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 1:43pm
I suppose it happens everywhere. My brother lives on a road with 3 houses. A neighbor up the road was trying to lure in Elk. Bill was chasing them off. The wildlife officer came by concerning the guys complaint about my brother. He is totally able to chase Elk off of his land. To attempt to lure in Elk is not legal. She asked if he wanted a landowners hunting permit so he could just shoot them.
uncamonkey
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I've been thinking about that.  I have an ATV with a spray tank and a water bar for broadcast spraying.  If I hit the road by the neighbor's house each morning before we left, and again in the afternoon when we return, with water, maybe we could limit the dust.  I might need to add a surfactant to keep the water from drying out too fast.  I can certainly put that on the table as a negotiating point.  My near neighbor has not yet replied to my invitation to talk.  He is the one complaining about the dust.  He has no capability or interest in applying dust control.  Now my distant neighbor does have a large tank on a trailer so he could argue that he should get any dust control contract.  But there won't be a contract.  I will just do it, if it gets my near neighbor off my back.  And my distant neighbor can't see Hideout Lane so he won't know that I'd be doing dust control unless the near neighbor tells him.  So we do have the tools and the technology to make it work. 

Edited by m38mike - 18 Oct. 2017 at 1:58pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 2:33pm
Give 'em a good coating of reclaimed oil/diesel mixture and see how they like that !

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 12:22am
Jeeps on the road ARE a dust control measure, unless you all fixed the leaks....................
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 1:03pm
I sent my near neighbor an email asking him if we could talk, and for him to set the time and day.  He called me yesterday and said let's talk Friday afternoon at 3pm.  So I'll go meet him at his house at 3. We'll see if I'm still any good at negotiating. 

In the mean time, I bought lots of lumber yesterday and got started on the roof for the breezeway between shed-1 and shed-2.  I got a half dozen 2x6 joists put up before wine time yesterday afternoon.  they went up so easy that I think I'll have the rest of them up before lunch today.  Then I'll put up the OSB, then the roofing felt, then the sheet steel roofing.  I hope to be done with it by the end of this weekend.  That will give me covered storage space for a couple of Jeeps for the winter. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 2:05pm
At least it seems like you are making progress with 1 neighbor and have found something productive to do.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

At least it seems like you are making progress with 1 neighbor and have found something productive to do.

Not a problem around Mike's place! SmileWink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 8:52pm
Just curious Mike, is there a back way to get to the TDR? This would keep the neighbors happy with the dust generated when we come in. Just a thought - I'm sure things will turn out okay and you know that we all will comply with any new requests.

Good luck..........

George
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 4:30pm
I had my meeting with near neighbor and we came to a few agreements.  He will withdraw his letter of complaint to our HOA board.  I agreed to do some research into dust control and to check into possible alternate access/egress from Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  George, interesting that you should mention that.  It turns out that another neighbor just bought the 80 acres to the south of TDR.  I asked him if he would allow me an easement to the road that crosses his land, and he said no.  After talking with my near neighbor, I will go back to my 80 acre neighbor and see if I can get a one week permission to use his road for the FCT.  If that is not successful, then I told my near neighbor that we could try staggering our times to exit TDR in the morning so we would not have such a large group going out all at once. 

On the dust abatement we agreed that we didn't want to see used motor oil being used on the road.  I know you all would love to bring me some used oil, but I don't need it.  Thanks.  Our Board just did some looking into dust control and concluded that magnesium chloride was the only reasonable option.  However some complaints about it's corrosive properties has  caused the board to not invest in it for our roads.  If anyone reading this knows of some other options that would be less corrosive, I'd love to hear from you. 

We could spray the road with water each morning, but I'm not sure just how long the water would last.  Another option would be to slow our speed way down to about 5 mph as we transit Hideout Lane.  Less speed means less dust in the air. 

My near neighbor asked about cancelling the FCT.  I explained to him what it means to so many of us to be able to get together to drive our jeeps in the mountains around here.  He seemed to understand and appreciate that.  I told him that this year we had 13 states represented and that we draw folks from as far away as CA, GA, NY, VA and many states in between.  He was surprised when I told him that the thread where we discuss this event has had over 30,000 hits just this year.  I don't think he quite grasped the enormity of the event, or it's value, but I don't think he'll be asking me to cancel it ever again. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 4:40pm
Not to mention coverage in Jp 2 years in a row, and a story coming out about prepping the old Jeeps for this event. Having read many of the comments when we post the link to the Jp Magazine story on social media, FCT is a bucket list trip for many of our readers. Let us know what you need Mike, would be happy to help.

T
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 4:54pm
Lots of jeeps that are not camping at TDR come there in the morning for the drivers meeting just to head back out again in a dust creating convoy to the gas station 

I wonder if we could make it a given to just meet at the gas station in the morning and have the drivers meeting there .....or a location close by where we have permission. Maybe not every morning, but on the occasion where we all have to go to the gas station anyway. 
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 4:57pm
..... even if you figure out the dust problem, the neighbors might appreciate a drop in traffic to and from TDR. Out of sight, out of mind. 
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>