Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:25pm
Willys Guy, glad to hear that you and your bride will make it this year.  To compare elevations, the TDR is at 8,000 feet and the trails we ride are all up from here, with the possible exception of one new trail I'm looking into for this year.  It goes down to 7,000 for part of it.  The trails we'll ride could take you over 12,000 feet into the sky.  Long views from up there above the airplanes.  

Speaking of trails, I plan to publish the trail list in the last week of June, after Nancy and I return from the Black Hills Run.  We've got so much to do to get ready for the first big Jeep event of our summer.  This having fun in retirement is getting to be a lot of work!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:24pm
I retired once. But my former employer called me back to work as a independent contractor, made more money. Then another outfit called them looking for someone to do the same work. So they gave them my name, and back to work again.
But now I have hung up my hat and staying retired. But the extra money could be used on my "CJ2A". If I'm working I'll have no time to enjoy life with a Flat Fender.

John
JC
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Willys Guy Willys Guy wrote:

I retired once. But my former employer called me back to work as a independent contractor, made more money. Then another outfit called them looking for someone to do the same work. So they gave them my name, and back to work again.
But now I have hung up my hat and staying retired. But the extra money could be used on my "CJ2A". If I'm working I'll have no time to enjoy life with a Flat Fender.

John

Don't feel bad John, I think I'm up to about 7 times retiring. Keep having to go back to work so that I can get a little rest. Last time retiring was July 2017, if I can last a year I think it will take.    Stan
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 9:22pm
You guys know that work is a four letter word don't you. I remember my dad saying that he didn't understand why he had less time to get anything done after he retired and it wasn't so much from hobbies either. Good luck on staying retired. It is a blast!
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 10:27pm
Yes and beside; planning for the CFCT is way more fun than working.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 2:00am
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Yes and beside; planning for the CFCT is way more fun than working.

I agree.  Always new trails to try.  New ideas for hosting folks at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Got to mix up the trails list.  Always meeting new Jeepers.  Never sure how many folks will be here.  Then there's cleaning out the shop and mowing acres of grass for camping and parking. (that's kinda like work). 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 2:42am
Anyone from somwhere near Bonney Lake Wa headed to the FCT ?
I need  CJ-3 parts from Daryl in Bonney Lake Wa. headed east.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:23pm
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:01pm
That’s a pretty cool story, Kate. 
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:05pm
I need to find a way to make it to this event.... I wish PA & CO were not so far apart! lol 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:51pm
I wonder what the dead boy's story was.  Did he just stumble and hit his head on a rock, or did someone bust his head in a fight?  I also wonder what "artifacts" they collected at the scene.  Interesting story.

But on to more contemporary news.  It's time to publish the list of trails for this year's FCT!  

Sunday, 9/16, Bruce, shakedown ride to Brown's Creek and Grandfather tree

Monday, 9/17, Ron, Tincup pass, Tincup, and Union Canyon (new)
Mike, FS roads 175, 182, 180, 173, and Turret (new)

Tuesday, 9/18, Bruce, The ghost towns of Vicksburg and Winfield
Mike, Silver Creek Loop (new)

Wednesday, 9/19, Ron, Hancock pass, Tomichi pass, White Pine (new)
Mike, Boss Lake (new)

Thursday, 9/20, Bruce, 4-mile Loop
Mike, Buffalo Peak
Ron, Chinaman Loop (leaving no bodies behind)

Friday, 9/21, Ron, Aspen Ridge North (Castles, Futurity ghost town, Lunch meet, aspen groves)
Mike, Aspen Ridge South (aspen groves, lunch meet, Futurity ghost town, Castles)

Saturday, 9/22, Mike, Mt. Princeton

We've also talked about taking some time to do a black powder shoot for those who'd like to try shooting a "smoke-pole".  We are thinking that Tuesday or Wednesday would be the best day's to set that up.  We'll go into the national forest just west of TDR for the shoot.  We'll set up some gongs and see who can ring the bell.  

Thursday evening will be our Pot Luck Feast.  We encourage folks to bring foods that their home state or area are recognized for, to share with everyone else.  

The shop will be open every evening for folks wanting to do some light maintenance or heavy rebuilding on their Jeeps.  We'll also entertain story tellers, liars, parts traders, and quiet beer drinkers in the shop.  Got a problem you just can't seem to solve?  Bring it to the shop where Jeep guys with decades of experience can give you a hand to make it right.  Got parts you'd like to sell or trade?  Bring them to the shop.  Want to learn more about your Jeep?  Bring your questions to the shop. 

That's our schedule.  We'll stick to it the best we can.  If we get rain, it'll be showers or Thunderstorms.   The tours will go on even with rain.  But the 90% probability for mid-September is going to be sunshine.  We'll watch it as we get closer to tour time.  So get your Jeep out this summer and run it all over.  Do your maintenance on it to keep it in good shape.  And let's plan to have another great time here in our corner of Colorado!  

Edited by m38mike - 22 June 2018 at 3:10pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:19pm
Mike, planning on being a first timer this year, those trail names have no meaning/reference to me.  The wife has limited 'camping' days in her so we are only planning on a 2-3 day this first year and being our first jeep excursion, we are looking for the more sedate, beautiful scenery trails.  Not looking for rock crawling, or falling off a ledge, or hearing the wife freak out like that one Black Bear Pass video of the German lady, but don't mind bumps, forwarding streams, or reasonable inclines.  Which trail rides would you recommend?
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 6:20pm
Mickeykelly, For the more relaxed, less adventurous rides here are my recommendations.
Sunday - Bruce, Monday - Mike, Tuesday - Bruce, Wednesday - Mike, Thursday - Bruce or Mike, Friday - both good, Saturday - don't go.  All the rides will be scenic.  It's hard not to have good views of the mountains when you're in the mountains.  This lineup will allow your wife to relax and enjoy the ride without feeling like she's getting beat up by the road below you.  So just pick your days.  Just remember to pack lunches, water, jackets, and cameras. A broad brim hat, like a boonie hat, is good for keeping the sun off your ears and neck.  (shameless sales pitch:)  I have some for sale with the FCT logo on them in both tan and OD green.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 4:21am
Bring lip balm!!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Mickeykelly, For the more relaxed, less adventurous rides here are my recommendations.
Sunday - Bruce, Monday - Mike, Tuesday - Bruce, Wednesday - Mike, Thursday - Bruce or Mike, Friday - both good, Saturday - don't go.  All the rides will be scenic.  It's hard not to have good views of the mountains when you're in the mountains.  This lineup will allow your wife to relax and enjoy the ride without feeling like she's getting beat up by the road below you.  So just pick your days.  Just remember to pack lunches, water, jackets, and cameras. A broad brim hat, like a boonie hat, is good for keeping the sun off your ears and neck.  (shameless sales pitch:)  I have some for sale with the FCT logo on them in both tan and OD green.  

Mike, thanks. Just got the engine back in so next step is hooking everything back up and starting her up, then breakin. Next will be the Geo front conversion. 
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 2:28pm
Great to see the schedule posted, Looks like a fine tour! Jason and I are planning to be there. Haven't decided yet if we'll bring both jeeps or just his. And don't forget the bandanas and sun glasses! Maybe you ought to add those to your line of CFCT merchandise.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
ducatibrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducatibrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 3:33pm
My dad and I are planning to come for the first time this year and I was wondering about the accommodations, it sounds like there is a place to throw our tent but I was wondering if there is a shower and or restroom to get cleaned up or do I need figure out something for that. Also I was wondering what the more challenging trails are like, maybe someone has pictures or video, I like a little more challenge but I have to make sure that I don’t break something, it’s a long ways home. Getting pretty excited for this trip, it sounds like a great time. Thanks 
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 3:50pm
Scroll thru the 2017 FCT event post from last year.
You'll see some drone footage of the layout.
Mike had rented portable bathrooms and had a shower trailer on site.
It's well thought out and very well planned.
You will feel like you are family; no doubt about that.

Edited by flatfender47 - 24 June 2018 at 3:52pm
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 39>