Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducatibrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 5:29pm
Thanks for the info, it looks to like most of the more difficult stuff is optional, I would want to stay away from the large boulder rock garden stuff but other than that it all looks fine to me. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 10:57pm
Are the Qwaaaaaaazy Eights looking at Chinaman Gulch again?  Or is there something tougher for them?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:30pm
47 deuce alpha, thanks for the suggestion but we have all the store business we want just selling hats.  Which reminds me, I need to come up with a color for this year's ball cap.

ducatibrian, Welcome to the CJ2Apage, and welcome to the Fall Color Tours!!  We're glad you have decided to join us this year, and glad your Dad is coming too.  For accomodations, I have lots of land for parking trailers or setting up tents.  I recommend using either cots or air mattresses if you're in a tent.  My lawn is lumpy, not smooth.  I will rent outhouses and place them conveniently around the property.  I have two showers open to my guests.  One is in our car-hauler trailer.  That's the shower we use when we go remote camping for Jeeping.  The other one is in our downstairs bathroom.  Both are available all night long and until we get ready to leave in the morning.  We have our own well with a good pump, so we have plenty of water available, not chlorinated, and there's a mud sink outside where you can fill up your water jugs.  Grey water from your camp can just be dumped on the ground and the thirsty dirt here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch will do it's job and make your grey water disappear in seconds.  

If you need electricity in your camp for CPAP or other needs let me know so I can put you close to the shop.  I have outside outlets there.  I will also have a cell phone charging station inside the shop for those who want that service.  My power strip has a couple of USB outlets and a dozen 110v outlets.  The wind has been known to blow here once in a while, so bring good stakes for your tent, and any tie down ropes that came with the tent.  

The shop will be available each evening and again in the morning for maintenance and repairs.  I keep some good used, and some new parts on hand in case they're needed.  I also get donated parts to add to the stockpile.  My goal is to make it easy for anyone to repair a break so they can go Jeeping again the next day.  I like seeing everyone out on the trails in their Jeeps, not in the shop all day long.  

I know other questions will come up with time.  Don't hesitate to ask them.  

Again, WELCOME!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 4:11am
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

Great to see the schedule posted, Looks like a fine tour! Jason and I are planning to be there. Haven't decided yet if we'll bring both jeeps or just his. And don't forget the bandanas and sun glasses! Maybe you ought to add those to your line of CFCT merchandise.

Stan, most definitely bring both of those jeeps!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 4:36am
We'll probably show up with both jeeps if Jason can take off work long enough for the full week plus driving time. It's just a long pull up there with 2 rigs. We might see you at Dalhart again.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Are the Qwaaaaaaazy Eights looking at Chinaman Gulch again?  Or is there something tougher for them?

There are at least a couple of tougher trails in the area. North of Leadville is Holy Cross. It is an iconic hard core trail that can be made in flattie with a couple lockers. Carnage Canyon is right next to Chinaman Gulch. It offers some outstanding rock crawling opportunities, but at the price of likely experiencing machanical failures, body damage, and winching out. 
Cj3bmutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj3bmutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:13pm
Just came across this earlier today checking some of the trail conditions and seen that tomichi pass is closed due to the rock slide.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:48pm
Tomichi pass is a no-go this year.  Ron just told me about it yesterday.  I know he's already thinking about how to re-route his tour for the day.  I'll work with him and find out what he's thinking for a great high-adventure ride across the divide.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
ducatibrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducatibrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 12:21am
m38mike, thanks for all the info, we’ll be there with 2 Jeeps and a decent size tent, we probably don’t need to be close to power I’ll be bringing a converter that I can just rob power off the Jeep battery with. Thanks for putting this event on, we’re both going to have a lot of fun I’m sure. 
Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 8:28pm
Mike,
We intend on arriving in Buena Vista Monday 9/17/18. We will be staying in Buena Vista.
Depending on what time we get in, we will either check-in to our Motel first or drop our CJ2A off at the TDR first. We will be leaving on Sunday 9/23/18
We are hauling our CJ in a cargo trailer. So, we would like to unload our CJ at the TDR and leave it and the trailer at the TDR if that is OK with you. We will need instructions on how to get to the TFR.
Thanks,
John
JC
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 12:35am
John, lots of room here at TDR to park your Jeep and trailer.  To get here from Buena Vista, go south on 24.  At Johnson Village light continue south on 285.  (24 turns east).  Watch for the sign for Nathrop.  There will be a post office on your right, along with a log cabin builder.  Not much else.  Go south another mile and a half.  Turn right on CR 280.  Go west almost 2 miles to CR 282.  Turn left on CR 282.  Go south on 282 for about 1/2 mile.  Turn left on Old Ranch Loop.  Follow Old Ranch Loop for almost a mile.  Turn left on Hideout Lane.  Go 100 yards and turn in my driveway.  I will have yellow Jeep signs up for Hideout Lane and my driveway.  

The coordinates for our driveway entrance are N 38* 42' 28", W 106* 06' 46".   You will see other Jeeps on the property to let you know you are at the right place.  lf we are all gone on the trail rides when you arrive.  Just put your trailer out behind (south of) the shop.  You'll see a line of trailers back there.  Park your Jeep there too, until we return from our ride.  Then we can get you parked closer to the shop. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 7:19pm
Mike - Thanks. I will have to get my sextant out, check my ships clock. Then take a noon sun shot, figure out where I'm at. Calculate wind and currents for drift correction, maybe finish up with dead reckoning. Hold on a minute, just get out my GPS or follow the road signs.
We went to the Moab Willys Rally in May. There were 43 rigs, some sight, 43 rigs stretched out in a line

John.
JC
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 4:59pm
This sounds like a great trip.  I have been living vicariously through most of you for the last couple years.  Its time to see if I am up to the challenge myself.  Now I need to burn some midnight oil to see if its possible.  Is there plenty of camping at TDR?  What is needed to attend?  Reservations?

-Gaffer
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 6:30pm
Gaffer, welcome to the FCT thread.  I hope you'll figure out a way to make it happen for you.  We'd love to have you join us.  Yes there is plenty of room for camping here at TDR.  I reserve the yard for tent campers, but have lots of room in the field for campers and trailers.  What is needed?  A desire to have fun with old Willys Jeeps.  Your own Jeep is generally a good thing.  Or a willingness to enjoy riding with other Jeepers in their Jeeps.  There are always empty seats that could carry passengers.  You are on your own for food.  I provide coffee in the morning for those interested.  I have water available.  I also have showers, and portable toilets for our guests.  No charge for camping here.  No registration for camping, but we do register all participants so we have at least some basic data in case of an emergency.  No fees for camping or trail riding.  We do take donations to offset our cost of hosting this event. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 1:38pm
Its 69 degrees in Ft Worth this morning, let the dog out, and had a cup of coffee on the back porch. I know its just mother nature jacking with us in Texas since August is usually one of our hot months, but it hints of cooler weather to come in September and I am ready to breathe some mountain air. Looks like some great options on new trails this year.

Is the gas station where we fill up with good gas still open? I will fill a couple of 5 gal. jerry cans before I get to TDR on the way in if it is.

Never too early to start prepping. I started to see grease slinging from a wheel bearing on my trailer on the way home from BHR, so I will look into that this weekend. Looks like some new faces at TDR this year too!

If its okay with you Mike I plan to be at TDR on Friday (9-14) to lend a hand if you need it preparing for the group.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 1:18am
Tumbleweed, yes the Sugar Shack gas station is still open, and still sells no-alcohol gas.  Current price is about $3.25 per gallon.  Well pardner, if you're gonna show up early, bring your work clothes and some good work gloves.  I'll have plenty for you to do, and glad that you're here to help.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 1:49am
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Its 69 degrees in Ft Worth this morning, let the dog out, and had a cup of coffee on the back porch. I know its just mother nature jacking with us in Texas since August is usually one of our hot months, but it hints of cooler weather to come in September and I am ready to breathe some mountain air. Looks like some great options on new trails this year.

Is the gas station where we fill up with good gas still open? I will fill a couple of 5 gal. jerry cans before I get to TDR on the way in if it is.

Never too early to start prepping. I started to see grease slinging from a wheel bearing on my trailer on the way home from BHR, so I will look into that this weekend. Looks like some new faces at TDR this year too!

If its okay with you Mike I plan to be at TDR on Friday (9-14) to lend a hand if you need it preparing for the group.
While I wont be able to attend this year I hope to hear one or two ballads from Marty Robbins wafting over to Idaho. Pack your git-tar Geoge..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 4:01am
Rick we will miss you.  Stay safe till we Jeep again.  Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 39>