Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:18am
FCT won't be the same without ya, Rick!  (I hope to make it this year, unlike last year.  No dogs have tried to kill me this year... yet... knock on wood...) 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
OffroadDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OffroadDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 11:41am
Elaine and I plan on attending again this year. We have our motel room reserved.

Bringing a different Jeep this year. Hopefully it will run better at altitude.
I hear that fuel injection is nice.  ;-)

I think we'll arrive on Monday and stay all week...
Workin' out the details. Dave Logan
1959 Willys CJ-3B
1995 Jeep Wrangler
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 12:24pm
Rick posted;
While I wont be able to attend this year I hope to hear one or two ballads from Marty Robbins wafting over to Idaho. Pack your git-tar Geoge..
[/QUOTE]

Rick, I even had a song about Idaho ready for you at BHR but mother nature decided to rain on our parade. Guess it will keep until next year. Any chance 6 cold Shiners will change your mind? Since I will be at the TDR early I can arrange to have you a prime camping spot ( I know the owner )!!!!!

Edited by tumbleweed - 03 Aug. 2018 at 12:26pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 12:43pm
If you change your mind Rick, as always, we'll leave a light on for ya!
Brett
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 2:53pm
OffroadDave, Glad you'll be able to spend the week with us.  You'll get more Jeeping in that way.  And yes, EFI is nice.  Although I've still got a few bugs to work out.  But it got me to clean out my gas tank.  Cleanest it's been in 40 years.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

While I wont be able to attend this year...

Ahhh, Rick, I’ll sure miss seeing the other RickG!   Take care til we jeep again!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

If you change your mind Rick, as always, we'll leave a light on for ya!
Brett

Thanks Pal!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 2:38pm
Ron and Amy, Nancy and I did some scouting yesterday for a new route for the FCT.  We covered a lot of ground over the course of a day.  And made some important discoveries.  But first, here's a photo of our lunch stop and the grand view that it provided.

We found a road that the Qwazy Eights would love to drive, Forest Service Road 173.  I didn't love it, and Nancy had her eyes closed for much of that trip.  Ron did love it so I know he'll be back on it again.  It's got rock ledges and narrow benches and steep pitches and tight turns and boulders to pick your way through and some great scenery to view.  So I think Ron will be guiding on this route. 

We tried to follow a loop road northeast of Salida but it turns out the loop was cut by some private land with a gate.  Too bad, it was looking like a good route for FCT.  So we headed to the old mining town turned vacation home community of Turret.  There is a road that runs north out of town that is 6 miles of sand and stone, steep and flat, scenic views and streambed deep, with enough twists and turns to make any Jeep dizzy.  It's a challenging ride but not too difficult and will be one of the new tours this year.  It's an out-and-back drive but the views and the challenges are enough to make you think you're on a trek through some of the most rugged country God ever made.

Our next scouting trip will be up the Silver Creek road and over the ridge to the old boom town of Bonanza.  Not sure when we'll do this as I'm on call for wildland fire fighting support for the next week.  And we've got one more scouting trip to run after that.  So we'll have some new trails to take folks on for this year.  Always a good time at the FCT.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 3:21pm
Well, OK, maybe just one photo of the 184 road north of Turret.  Nancy took this photo as we passed through one of the aspen stands that line the road.   As you can see, the road is not all rough and rugged, some of it is very enjoyable to drive. 

Happy trails to you, until we Jeep again!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Well, OK, maybe just one photo of the 184 road north of Turret.  Nancy took this photo as we passed through one of the aspen stands that line the road.   As you can see, the road is not all rough and rugged, some of it is very enjoyable to drive. 

Happy trails to you, until we Jeep again!

Not to be a sissy, but this is the kind of trail the wife and I are looking for on our first jeep trail experience and first FCT event. 
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 8:04pm
Cool Mike!  Such rough duty hunting new trails.  Thanks for the hard work!
I might get off work early one day this week and fetch your drums.  If not, I will grab them after France.
Keep on truck'n!
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 1:04am
Hey Mike and Nancy:
Just to let you know that  (the other) Bruce and Bonnie, and my brother and sis in law, Brian and Kim will be arriving early Tuesday morning. We enjoyed ourselves so much last year we are doubling our days this year.  Thanks for all your (and Nancy's) efforts. We are looking forward to seeing more beautiful country making even more friends this year!

Bruce
1949 2A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 1:41pm
Mickeykelly, not to worry, we've got miles and miles of pleasant trails on our tour list for this year.  Just remember to follow either Mike or Bruce and you'll be fine.  Follow Ron if you want to test your driving skills or see just what your Jeep can (or can't) do.  But all of the tours will give you some absolutely wonderful scenery.  And we try to mix in enough breaks to help you socialize and stretch your legs along the way.

Thanks Lew, looking forward to seeing you and Frankie again.  Really anxious to get the one barrel to make a smoker out of it.  Depending on when you get up to TDR, I may get to work on it evenings during the FCT.  

Bruce, I'm glad you'll be back with us again this year.  Don't forget our driver's meeting is at 8:45 each morning.  That's where we'll talk about the rides for the day so you can choose which one you want to join.  We leave for the tours at 9:00, So plan your Tuesday arrival to be here for the driver's meeting.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 2:55pm
I sort of had to laugh about following people. I was on a horse and the only thing it knew was to follow the butt of the monster Appaloosa in front of him. It was a wild ride back to the stable at a full gallop. As far as Jeeps go, I   like to ride drag even if I get all of the dust. I know that the people In front have good winches and I have a great one at the rear. I really don't like to drive lead on trails for a few reasons.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2018 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I really don't like to drive lead on trails for a few reasons.

I don't either, but that's because I don't know where I'm going.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 3:53am
Since when is it required to know where you are going if you are leading. If you don't know it just makes it more exciting!!
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 6:46am
One of the reasons I don't like to lead is when we are doing a trail like Holy Cross City people all run out of the woods and stop me so we can talk about the beast I am driving. I don't like to hold up the people behind me especially if it is a steep section of hill and they have to sit there standing on the brakes. There are some advantages. We did the Top of the World road and I had driven it several times so it was not that difficult except it was the week after the EJS and some of the lines were so dug out I had to find a new line. I found a line nobody else could see and I did fine. Pull up the hill far enough for the others to have a decent place to park and go back down to pile rocks for those that needed aid. We were at the top so I did the required picture, threw a rock over the cliff, looked at the flowers, ate a sammitch and I am ready to head down the other side of the circular road. Mike and his wife jumped in their CJ7 and Ron and his wife got in whatever type of Jeep they had. I did drag my rear springs and rear crossmember. It was downhill so I just slid down the ledges. Mike was set up with elockers so he also drug a few parts and Ron had never done much off road so he just did what Mike did and he did fine until we had to stack rocks for him. Alright I had pulled up far enough to leave room for all of the others so I walked back down and sat on a rock looking at a nice emerald green lizard. I sat there for around a half of an hour and finally Bob and Ralph show up and Bob jumps out of his CJ5 hopping mad that we drove off and left them and he got stuck coming down the hill and Ralph got stuck too. Mike calmly asked him how he got stuck in a Jeep with F&R elockers and a winch and Ralph was driving a Rubicon. Everybody else made it down with minimal problems. Bob finally stopped hopping about as I think he figured out that we had no sympathy for him. He got stuck because of the Bourbon and colas he was working on and Ralph had been working on some IPAs. A friend named Glenn usually rides with me and he feels that he has to jump out and spot me. I ignore him and drive the line I had picked out about 100 feet back. He walks down the hill and I hit a smooth spot and I accelerate so Glenn has to sprint to get back in the Jeep. He turns around and gets a beer out, it is fine with me. I don't drive a Jeep with any alcohol. First off it is not safe and if you have a beer open it just foams over.
That's my tale for tonight.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 4:40pm
Well, were 5 weeks out! , excitement is building so I am reviving this trailer I did a few years back

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 39>