Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 4:54am

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 5:03am
Another beautiful day of trail riding!....

Many thanks to all involved!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 6:02am
Nice vids Lee. Sounds like you sister has it figured out. It is cool!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 12:43pm
Short night for me last night.  I stayed in the shop until 11:30 helping Jpet try to repair a broken spring mounting plate and a destroyed shock on BamBam.  Now I'm up to make sure the coffee is brewing the way it should.  We had a malfunction yesterday and coffee was late.  Oh my!  On my ride yesterday we only suffered two flat tires, and some locked up brakes.  The brakes came into a rest stop smoking hot, literally.  The problem went away after the pushrod in the master cylinder was adjusted correctly so the brake fluid from the front two wheel cylinders could return to the master cylinder, instead of locking up the front brakes.  

Ron's ride also suffered a flat or two.  And an engine with a serious knock in it.  They rallyed around the suffering Jeep and towed it probably over 50 miles, and the rocky Tincup Pass, to bring it back to TDR for diagnosis and repair.  After arriving about 10:00 pm the engine did not rock and rattle the way it did out on the ride.  I'm not sure if they figured it out or not.  More to review this morning. 

Coffee's calling, gotta go.  We've got 3 rides going out today.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Nice vids Lee. Sounds like you sister has it figured out. It is cool!

She is having a great time Stan!, a great week spent together

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 1:31pm
Once again all us armchair wheelers wish to thank all who posted their pics and videos so we see the fun we missed!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 1:50pm
Mike,
Was that Kate's brakes locking up??Cry
BOULDER 48 2A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 11:13pm
Enjoy!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 2:28am
Thank you for the update! Thumbs Up

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Enjoy!

Definitely enjoyed it . . thanks so much from those of us stuck working this week. 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 5:09am
It could be worse. You could be at the color tour and have to miss the pot lock dinner because you were stuck working from your hotel during your vacation...
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 12:16pm
We had a great tour yesterday, although we started out a little colder and a little damp from the rain the night before.  In fact we did something we've never done before.  We had 3 tours go out.  Ron took a group of Jeeps over to Chinaman's Gulch to try their skill at the obstacles there.  Bruce took a group of 9 Jeeps over to the 4-mile area to go play on the whoop-de-doos and look for the stone arch.  I took my group of 24 Jeeps up to Maysville, and then over what I call the Marble Route.  The name comes from the fact that we drive through two Marble mines.  One is closed, and made a great lunch stop as you can see from the video above.  The other one is open and still mining marble.  In fact as we approached the second mine they fired off a shot of explosives that caught all of us off guard.  And as we approached the second mine we had a Jeep develop a significant rattle in the transmission.  We were able to drive the Jeep to the base of the mountain and left it there to be picked up by truck and trailer later that afternoon.  I still don't know what the problem there was.  

Everyone arrived back at the ranch by late afternoon and hung around visiting with friends or preparing food for our annual Pot Luck dinner.  And what a great selection of foods we had.  Too many dishes to name but we completely covered the 16 feet of tables dedicated to the main courses.  And we had two tables on the other side of the shop dedicated just for deserts.  Yum yum!!  So many delishious choices!  

Following dinner we held the raffle.  I would first like to thank Traci Clark, writer for JP magazine, for reaching out to our sponsors and asking for the donations we received.  She really got us some great merchandise.  I want to thank Warn Winch for the Recovery Kit and the posters they sent.  Thanks to Rugged Radio for the two great hand held radios, and the banner, they sent, along with lots of bumper stickers.  And my special thanks to Kaiser-Willys for donating 8 gift certificates ranging in value from $10 up to $250.  They also sent us a dozen T-shirts, a half dozen hats, lots of coozees to put around beer or soda cans, over 2 dozen bottle opener key rings, and 4 boxes of the most interesting catalogs I've ever seen.  And to top it off, Great Divide Brewing Company donated 15 cases of beer for our event.  Add to all of that, many of our participants donated items, like a f-134 crank shaft, jumper cables, Crocs, mugs, and other items.  It took us over an hour to draw all the tickets needed to give away all the merchandise.  So we had lots of winners last night.

We also shared some interesting statistics last night with the crowd.  At the close of the evening we have had 66 Jeeps and 129 people participate in this FCT.  That's a new record!  21 states were represented.  And the model of Jeep with the largest population here was the CJ2A.  In fact there were 16 CJ2A's here made just in 1948.  

I want to offer many thanks to the folks who stayed after dinner to help me with the cleanup.  But the night was not over.  There was still work to be done.  Lumpy's engine had been taken apart earlier in the day.  It was Lumpy that had to be towed home the day before with engine problems.  Arick and Paul discovered that one of the pistons was coming apart, and had a huge chunk missing out of one side, along with parts of the rings imbedded in the top of the piston where they should not be.  Parts were gathered and the rebuild commenced.  When I left at midnight the pit crew helping or observing the rebuild had completed the rebuild and were running the engine for it's first test.  We'll have to see if it was successful or not.  But when I left it was running.  

Today we'll do our Grand Tour along Aspen Ridge.  This year I'll take half of the Jeeps and come in from the North.  Ron will take half the Jeeps and approach from the south.  And if all works as we planned, we'll meet in the middle to get everyone together for lunch.  But there's lots to do before then.  And it's after 5:00 am so I'd better get going if I want the day to start out on time.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 12:22pm
Friday was a super day for a Jeep ride, and the Aspen Ridge ride was a great place to do it.  For some of the aspen stands on the south end of the ridge the wind had already stripped the leaves off the branches.  But the north end of the ridge still held good color.  We planned to have two groups cover the ridge, but ended up with three groups as Bruce took his Rogue Riders out on a rugged detour.  The weather was beautiful and the trails were dusty.  We endured a few flat tires, and a quick electrical problem, and a gas line sucking air, but nothing that sidelined any of the Jeeps.  This has certainly been a year for flat tires.  We've averaged 2-3 per day.  I'll need to invest in some rubber tubes with the proceeds from the raffle, to prepare for next year's flats.  

Many folks packed up when we returned to the ranch, and they headed for home.  Some just wanted to get a head start on a very long drive, some live just a few hours away.  So the ranch population is down to about half of what it was.  Today a few more will leave in the morning to head home, but a bunch of us will go up Mt. Princeton to enjoy the view from there.  As I just typed this I noticed a truck and trailer (with Jeep) headed out of the driveway for the highway.  Someone is getting a very early start on what I'm sure is a long drive, and a good time to think about all the memories that we made this week.  

Time to go check the coffee pot.  We went through 80 cups of coffee yesterday.  Everyone's glad we have such a large percolator.  Thanks Ward for providing that pot for us.  I'm hoping that as folks arrive at home that we begin to see more photos of our journeys appear on these pages.  I know I've been too busy to download my photos, but I promise to get some posted soon.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Mike,
Was that Kate's brakes locking up??Cry

Terry, it was the jeep like yours that belongs to Bruce and Bonnie - same one that had the distributor short on Monday.  They must have been plowing sand up that long wash!  Good to see you and Ginny!

Edited by aboyandhisdog - 22 Sep. 2018 at 10:12pm
Tom
1949 CJ3A

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 3:49am
Mike & Nancy,  Ruthie and I sure had a good time at the Fall Colors Tour this year.  Thanks for all you do to make this happen. 

Tom & Ruthie
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Saber-7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saber-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 6:31am
Mike and Nancy,

Thank you so much for opening your home, shop, and yard for us. Your leadership putting this event together was amazing. The coffee was great and I appreciate the inner-tube patch! We had a great time and hope to come back another year!

David, Amy, and Tommy 

Dave
1943 Willys MB
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 12:11pm
The party's over.  We're done for another year.  Now it's just the final cleanup.  I've got to find a place for the Jeeps that get parked for the winter.  I've got to go through my tools and find the missing ones, and put all of them back where they belong.  Card tables and chairs will go back to our friend.  The big coffee pot gets thoroughly scrubbed and put away.  I've got lots of jeep parts to put away (where I can find them again!)  After I take some time to just relax, I'll refocus on firewood cutting and elk hunting.  

But first things first.  I need to process my photos so I can post them here.  And I need to get rid of piles of trash.  Now to get a cup of coffee, and find my phone.............
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 12:50pm
Thank you Mike and Nancy for another wonderful week of Jeeping in the spectacular Rockies. I appreciate all the planning, and work you went through so we could have a vacation with great friends, old and new. What a great bunch of people. It is a reunion to meet up each season with your pals. Until we Jeep again, John & Carol
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 39>