Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 36373839>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 1:44pm
Mike/Alan, 

I have been trying to find info on the jeep that went over the side on Imogene ever since Alan, and my son and I took that road. No luck until today when I tried again after seeing your post. There is a short video on youtube (Flipped Jeep on Imogene Pass 9/21/2018). Said that the jeep was moving to the side to allow someone to get past them and went over. Said two people were taken out by helicopter. I am glad to hear they weren't killed.

3A Steve
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 3:14am
This is why I would not want a JK or JL.  They're w-a-a-a-a-y too wide!  And the Unlimiteds are w-a-a-a-a-y too long.

Mike, I should have realized the FS would expect the Jeep to be removed.  What's the time limit?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 4:12am
Often that type of thing is much more related to driver experience than vehicle width.  When I was in Ouray in July I saw this FJ Cruiser that had gone off Engineer Mountain Road.  There was room to drive two FJs, JK, or JLs side-by-side past him.  No reason at all for him to be over this far.

Trails like Engineer Mountain Road or Imogene Pass are good for beginners to learn on, as long as they realize that the trails are dangerous, much like a freeway is.  They aren't that hard to drive on safely, if you know what you're doing.  But they demand a LOT of attention when you're starting out.

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

This is why I would not want a JK or JL.  They're w-a-a-a-a-y too wide!  And the Unlimiteds are w-a-a-a-a-y too long.

Mike, I should have realized the FS would expect the Jeep to be removed.  What's the time limit?
There's nothing wrong with taking those bigger machines out on a trail.  But you have to know where the wheels are when you get close to an edge.  If you are not sure, then get a passenger or someone from another vehicle to guide you where they can see the tire and the edge, to keep you from going too far.  Same thing with our little Jeeps.  You have to know where the tires are to avoid trouble.  And if you notice when experienced guys like the Qwazy Eights tackle tough obstacles, there is almost always someone on the ground who can see the tires and the terrain who can advise the driver which way to turn.  Sometimes that may be neccessary for simple maneuvers like passing someone on a narrow mountain road as well.   Better safe than sorry.  

The time limit is flexible but generally within a month the FS wants any abandoned machine off the National Forest lands.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 2:33am
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

There's nothing wrong with taking those bigger machines out on a trail.

I have a photo I took some years back of my YJ on Hayden Pass road. The shelf road part is not a whole lot wider than the Jeep.  I have seen full-size pickups on other parts of that road, but I wouldn't want to drive one on that shelf section.  Of course, I haven't been there in some time, so maybe it was just so narrow in my memory.  Embarrassed 
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 3:55am
m38mike made some great points. And the JK's and JL's aren't near as bad as the FJ Cruiser's like the one in Bob's pic. Having driven one a couple of times I decided I could never own one as the visibility in those things is terrible, particularly the over the shoulder view. Every July the Toyota guys have a weeklong event called the FJ Summit in Ouray and I see this kind of thing every year. While some of them are great drivers others come there every year and thats the only time they use 4 wheel drive. 
  I saw a rental Jeep getting towed out on IMO in the exact same place as the one in the recent pic last year. 3 older gentlemen were coming down the switchback in the same spot and drove off the left side. All 3 were air evac'ed out; 1 was seriously injured. It can be tough to keep your focus when you're driving in all the beautiful scenery out there. It can happen to any of us if we are out there long enough. When I see stuff like this I realize that it could just as easily be me the next time, and that I need to be vigilant and focused...
FWIW,
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 3:44am
Well, I have gotten stuck by going slightly too far to the right and having my right side tires get into the soft dirt on the side of a trail.  It happened when I was backing up because the &@#%# antisway bar was limiting front axle articulation and I couldn't go forward.  It was not a pleasant experience...
Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 6:34pm
Well we made it. This was our first FCT, was going to make it last year, but some things came up. First, we can’t thank Mike and Nancy enough for putting this on and their hospitality. And to all the group for their friendliness, like they were old friends. But now to the bad part. We brought our newest 46 CJ2A which we have had for a year and a half. A lot of work was done on it by the previous owner, and as the wife said, it’s pretty. I thought I had caught all the problems, wrong. It was rewired with a new wiring harness and some of the wires were not used and were hanging down under the body. Also, you had to turn on the ignition for the lights and turn signals to work. So, I moved the connection to the hot lug on the ignition switch. But I should have, you know “should have” pulled the light switch to see what was done there. So, coming back from the run on Wednesday we had a FIRE, lots of smoke and a melted wire, hot leg to the brake light switch. It was wired to the ignition switch. A big thanks to the County Sheriffs Unit and the group who stopped to help. So, we decided not to go out on Thursday not knowing what else was hiding. Had a lot of offers to help and fix what was wrong, should have, “should have “again, taken them up on the offer. When we got home I found more burned wiring and pulled the light switch. The 30-amp circuit breaker was removed and most of the wiring was done wrong. Got no one to blame but self, self-did not check out the wiring. Also, a big thanks to Allen for letting me ride with him on Saturday. See you all next year.
John
JC
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Willys Guy Willys Guy wrote:

... We brought our newest 46 CJ2A which we have had for a year and a half. A lot of work was done on it by the previous owner.  ...  It was rewired with a new wiring harness and some of the wires were not used and were hanging down under the body. ... we had a FIRE, lots of smoke and a melted wire, ... we decided not to go out on Thursday ... I found more burned wiring ... most of the wiring was done wrong. ... self-did not check out the wiring. ...
John

Not to pick on you John, but this is exactly why I REALLY ENCOURAGE everyone to thoroughly go over their Jeeps before they come to FCT.  So John and his wife brought their Jeep a long long ways to enjoy our mountain scenery, and they were sidelined in mid-week with a dead Jeep.  Not the best way to have a vacation.  It was sad, because this was their first time at FCT, and Jeeping in this area.  But it was also dangerous.  If wires under the hood had caught fire, they could have lost their Jeep.  And the potential for starting a forest fire was high during FCT, especially from a vehicle fire.  I'm glad that John and his wife still had a good time, and got to enjoy riding with others. 

So please folks, take a good look at your Jeeps before you drive to an event, whether it's FCT or any other event.  Make sure it's all in good working order.  Don't get sidelined because of foreseeable problems.  I'd much prefer to spend my shop time repairing trail damage instead of fixing things that could have been fixed at home. 

Enough said on that subject.  Hey folks, how about some more photos?  I know there are lots of great images captured during the week, and we've only seen a small sample so far.  Please put up a few photos for other folks to enjoy.  Thanks! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 1:56pm

One more...

Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 4:16pm
The moral to this story is: If its pretty and you are shown all the receipts for all the work done, if you find one thing wrong, check everything! I now have a new wiring harness that I'm installing. Ripped the old one out and found more problems that you could not see without removing the complete wiring harness. So money was wasted by the previous owner buying a new wiring harness and not putting in in correctly. The signs were there. One of the first things I did when we purchased this CJ2A was look for anything hanging down that could get hung up on something, in the rear the tail/brake wiring was hanging down, a clue. The body was taken off and when it was put back on, not all the bolts holding the body to the frame or fenders to the body were put back. So folks if it looks pretty when you buy it, take a good look at it when you get it home!! We were lucky.

John
JC
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 7:01pm
                    Pictures!
If anyone has pictures they would like to contribute to the latest version of the FCT calendar, let me know.  I always enjoy being able to use other peoples shots!  Despite the fire, I am bound and determined to get these done!  

Not determined yet whether I will be able to use existing equipment, some of it is totally fried.  I'm most likely going to settle for as much as possible, and cash out.  I will still do some stuff, but I won't have my own shop.  That's where I'm at today anyway...we'll see.  By the way, if ya'll didn't know, I've been through two floods with my business over the years, but I will say, fires suck way more!

Send Pictures to:    aricktsites@gmail.com

Thanks everyone!

She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 7:03pm
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 7:04pm
Arick, you had a fire?  What the heck happened - home or office?  You okay?  Lumpy okay? 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 7:23pm
It was in the caves where we moved our business about a 1½ yrs ago...cheap rent, but it was very depressing, and very dusty.  Never even thought about a fire though!   Nothing of real value lost, certainly no injuries.

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 9:11pm
Arick, that's bad news!  I'm sorry to see that.  I feel badly for you as that has got to weigh heavy with you on where to go from here.  I hope you'll be able to recover OK, and thank goodness your Jeep wasn't involved.  Nancy and I are going through her photos to see what's good and what's not.  We'll be send some to you.  I encourage everyone else to send at least a couple to you also.  

Arick, thanks for keeping the tradition of the calendar alive.  You're my hero! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 11:57pm
Wow, Arick, glad you are ok.  Didn’t know anything about the fire.  If you need anything, don’t hesitate to give me a holler.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 1:07am
" src="blob:https://www.thecj2apage.com/4f872cc0-e24a-452c-8cdb-2359b830007c" alt="DSCN3328.jpeg" apple-inline="yes" class="Apple-web-attachment Singleton" style="font-family: Helvetica;">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 36373839>