Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 8:01pm
Ken, the frequency range that we operate in with our FRS radios is 460 megahertz. CB's operate at 27 megahertz. Because of the difference in frequencies your copper wires will not interfere with your FRS radios. To eliminate radio interference on a CB radio you should wire the power wire for the CB directly to the battery. If that does not solve the static then add a noise filter directly in front of the CB radio. I have a noise filter on my CB radio to get rid of the static. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 12:51am
Hmmm ?
My copper plug wire problem was so bad I could sit in driveway and mess up the TV inside the house.
I just bought a set of NOS TRW F-134 suppression wires in case the radio interference is too much to deal with.
But yeah; running CB hotwire  direct to battery or adding some kinda inline noise filter  are great ideas too.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 12:54pm
Yup, it's all about the frequency you're using, and how wide the radio wave is to receive the interference.  At 27 megahertz, the CB radio wave is about 11 meters wide.  Very open and easy to pick up static from other sources.  At 460 megahertz, the FRS radios have a radio wave of only 70 cm.  Very short and less likely to pick up static from other sources.  Many TV channels used to use very wide radio waves to transmit signals to local TV viewers.  Now it's all digital on very very tight radio signals in the gigahertz spectrum to pretty much eliminate interference, at least from stuff like old Jeeps with copper plug wires.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 1:03pm
Makes me wonder if some brothers -- uhhh -- drivers aren't wired with some copper. Lots of noise, static and interference from that direction sometimes too!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Katiedid Katiedid wrote:

Makes me wonder if some brothers -- uhhh -- drivers aren't wired with some copper. Lots of noise, static and interference from that direction sometimes too!

Humpf!!  Static you say!  You want static??  I'll give you some static!!  You better be nice to me or I'll remember where to disconnect your wiring!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 3:06pm
I've found that my CJ2A with copper plug wires interferes with my remote garage door opener. I have to idle down real slow, or shut off the engine to get the door to respond. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Humpf!!  Static you say!  You want static??  I'll give you some static!!  You better be nice to me or I'll remember where to disconnect your wiring!!
... Yup remember the steering wheel? .... Think about it
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

... Yup remember the steering wheel? .... Think about it

Ah yes, the steering wheel incident. I always suspected ulterior motives. Apparently some static comes from my direction ....   
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I've found that my CJ2A with copper plug wires interferes with my remote garage door opener. I have to idle down real slow, or shut off the engine to get the door to respond. 

All of my Jeeps have copper plug wires none have ever had any effect on my garage door opener other than frustration and the ability to drain the openers wallet

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2018 at 8:21pm
Mike,

Last year we were going to make it, but went to a Navy Ships Reunion instead. But this year we are going to make it. Will need directions on how to get to your ranch from Buena Vista.
In May we are going to Moab for the Flat Fender Run. It seems the wife and I are not the only crazy ones with Flat Fenders!! So this will be our first time on your Run, can't wait.

Have a Fine Flat Fender Day

John N.
JC
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2018 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Willys Guy Willys Guy wrote:

Mike,

Last year we were going to make it, but went to a Navy Ships Reunion instead. But this year we are going to make it. .....
Hi John, Glad you can make it this year! If it's any of my business, what ship were you on and when? The reason I ask is, my dad was on the USS Shelton during Korea and he is very active in organizing Navy ship reunions.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2018 at 9:59pm
Mike,

It was the AOE Sailors Reunion. I was on a amo ship the USS MAUA KEA.

John
JC
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 1:04pm
John, glad to hear you'll be able to join us this year.  A bit later this year I'll publish directions to get to the Thirsty Dirt Ranch (TDR) from both Buena Vista (north) and Salida (south).  Maybe about the same time that I publish our list of tours for this year.  But for now, if you can locate the town of Nathrop on your map, the TDR is about 5 miles southwest of Nathrop.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 5:44pm
Mike,

We have been planning our trip. I ran into a guy last month from your area, he told me about a good place to eat in Buena Vista.
We had some friends who use to live in Durango, made a few trips there.

John
JC
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 12:56pm
Hello Mike and Nancy,

Just sent Oilly a message that today is the "International Day of Happiness."

Must have been a guy or gal with a Jeep that thought of that one!

Just curious if there was a lot of snow this year in the mountains. I hope we get to cross some wet areas this year possibly a few streams. We will see you all in about 3 months at BHR.

Tumbleweed....
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 1:19pm
Tumbleweed,

Yup, we got some snow high in the mountains.  We sure didn't get much here in the valley though.  A friend of mine and I went camping up near Hancock Lake a few weeks ago.  When we packed the snow for our campsite, we were about 4 feet above the ground, on packed snow.   We got another 6-8 inches of snow while we were there.  Sure glad my stove worked to keep the tent warm. 

So we might be able to find you a stream or two to go splashing in with your Jeep. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 1:51pm
Well, certainly a newly retired guy whose planning his jeep trips knows something about happiness!

As for Mike camping in the snow, when is the International Crazy Old Fart Day?  
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 1:57pm
Oh my gosh Kate, I'm rolling on the ground! That is too funny -
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 39>