Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 39>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 5:09pm
That is a good one! Love it!
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 5:16pm
Well Mike, I took Joey (cj2a) over to moab last weekend with some friends and gave him a good workout with no problems encountered so he is ready for the summer and the FCT. Gave him quite a workout. I don't know if you are familiar with the trails there but if so we took "steel bender trail" and stayed with all the newer jeeps, which are built up. Scared the hell out of Margie in a few places though. We didn't even bend a single shackle this time. I don't know if I will take that trail again though as it was a long tough one! Both of us are looking forward to FCT again this year. See you then. Mike
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 11:25pm
Hi guys
New to the Fct and need a few details, Triple X and I are planning on joining the herd this year, and we plan to bring Miss Sue as well.  Can someone please elaborate on the name of the closest town, and maybe some details on where to stay, hotels 
  Campgrounds and such? I just don't know all the locations and names yet. Thanks.
Gun

Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 2:12am
Wow!, MN people , Beauna Vista is the closest to the TDR for hotels, Salida is a little farther and a little cheaper and a little bigger town. I've stayed in both and prefer Salida!. Look foreword to a great time Todd!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 12:12pm
Gunslinger, welcome to our world!  Lee has it right, except for the missed spellings.  Buena Vista is the closest town of any size.  It's about 12 miles away.  Salida is twice as big and it's about 25 miles away.  If you check the chamber of commerce for each town you'll find a list of hotels, motels, and B&B's.  Buena Vista tends to be a bit more expensive since they also host the annual Fall Color Tours for ATV's.  The local ATV club hosts ATV rides on many of the same forest roads and trails we take, only they charge folks for the "privilege" of having a guide to keep them from getting lost.  We do it just for fun.  

Both towns have grocery stores and many restaurants for your dining pleasure.  As far as camping goes, you are welcome to camp here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch for free.  No dump station, but I do have water, portable toilets, showers, and if you bring an extension cord I can get you electricity.  There is free camping in the National Forest just west of our ranch, but no facilities.  The campgrounds in the forest that have toilets and fire rings are all shut down by mid-September.  There are two private campgrounds close by.  A KOA near Johnson Village (close to Buena Vista), and the Chalk Creek Campground in beautiful downtown Nathrop.  In fact the campground, the fire station, the post office, and a log cabin builder are the only businesses in Nathrop.  No gas station or convenience store. 

And speaking of gas, there is a gas station about 4 miles from TDR that has "real" gas.  Their premium gas has no alcohol in it.  Just plain gasoline.  That's usually where we fill up each day as we head off on our adventures.  Lots of our Jeep folks like the non-alcohol gas because it does not tend to vapor lock like the alcohol gas does.  

I hope that answered your first questions.  I know there will be more.  Later this year I'll publish driving directions to get to the TDR for those who have never been here.  I'll also publish the schedule of rides for each day of the tours.  

Mriceflinter, we're looking forward to having you and Margie back again this year.  Be careful on those Moab trails.  Some of them are not very forgiving if you make a mistake. 

Katedid, all I can say to you is "FFffffftt"  (old fart indeed!!)
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 2:13pm
Gunslinger,
There are also several B&B's along Chalk Creek just west of TDR, and Mt. Princeton Hot Springs ($$$).
BOULDER 48 2A
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2018 at 12:49pm
Hey Guys, thanks for the update, turns out I'm more familiar with the area than I thought, got to looking at a map and found that the TDR is real close to Taylor Park and South Matchless Mountain, I hunted elk there for several years.  What a beautiful area to jeep in!  Looking forward to it more than ever. 

Lee I may give you a call as we get closer, perhaps we can caravan out if that works.

Gun
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2018 at 7:35pm
We are staying at the Best Western in Buena Vista, we booked in January. For some reason their rates go up on 9/21/18. And we are leaving 9/23. Must be something going on to bump the rates up.

We use to go to the Reno Air Races, about a 3 hour drive from where we are in California. Talk about everything going up in price. We haven't gone since 2016, got too expensive. All so the date of the Air Races interferes with the Fall Colors Run.

Our 46 CJ2A is named Betty. The wife likes Betty Boop, so I put Betty Boop floor mats in it. So she named our flat fender Betty.

Willys Guy
JC
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2018 at 10:27am
Willys Guy, Welcome to FCT.  Looking forward to you and your wife joining us this year.  The reason the rates go up is the ATV Fall Color Tour.  They advertise in several different mediums and draw a crowd from literally around the world to participate in their hosted event.  They get about 400 folks to join them.  It's quite the commercial event in town with several businesses involved in feeding, housing, and outfitting the folks.  

At our FCT we prefer a more low key approach.  No sponsors, no overt ties to any business, just a bunch of friends getting together for a good time with their flat fender Jeeps.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2018 at 3:37pm
Wife and I are really looking forward to our first FCT.  Got Willie's engine back from rebuilder and getting it ready to stab back in.  Once it's in the front Geo disc conversion is next so will hopefully be ready for the trip.  We will plan on camping at the ranch.  With any luck, hoping to have Tubby, the '47 T3C ready to go too.  

By the way, on the typical day trip, is a full tank enough gas or should I plan on bring a can?
Willys Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2018 at 4:35pm
400 folks? It looks like you guys hit it right, a small enough group so we can all sit around and talk Jeep. What do you do with 400 ATV's blasting around?

I know 2 years ago the local Jeep Club we belong to went on our Labor Day Camp-out and run. Well we started up this 4 wheel drive road, we were about 8,000 ft here in the Sierra Nevada's, and guess what? We ran across a family in a van trying to get to a campground, they were smart enough to stop. Their GPS showed this abandoned road as a short cut to the campground. So how many ATV's are going to get lost?

I know in the Reno area, anytime there is anything going on, everything goes up. Its cheaper to drive 50 miles from Minden NV and stay there to attend anything in Reno. But the only thing we went to in that area for was the Reno Air Races, and we don't go to that anymore.

John
JC
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

Wife and I are really looking forward to our first FCT.  Got Willie's engine back from rebuilder and getting it ready to stab back in.  Once it's in the front Geo disc conversion is next so will hopefully be ready for the trip.  We will plan on camping at the ranch.  With any luck, hoping to have Tubby, the '47 T3C ready to go too.  

By the way, on the typical day trip, is a full tank enough gas or should I plan on bring a can?

Hey mickeykelly,
Glad to see another Texan at the FCT. You will really enjoy this event. I am in Bedford but your profile does not list your location. Are you near Ft. Worth?

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 5:22am
"By the way, on the typical day trip, is a full tank enough gas or should I plan on bring a can?"

A full tank is normally more than enough, most use from four to six gallons. Mike usually insists that everyone goes to the gas station at the start of every day's ride, and while we can't make sure that everyone fills up, at least they are there so no one should forget. Looking at the gauge and saying "that should be enough" doesn't work very well (AMHIK)! Filling up every morning does away with that risk.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

"By the way, on the typical day trip, is a full tank enough gas or should I plan on bring a can?"

A full tank is normally more than enough, most use from four to six gallons. Mike usually insists that everyone goes to the gas station at the start of every day's ride, and while we can't make sure that everyone fills up, at least they are there so no one should forget. Looking at the gauge and saying "that should be enough" doesn't work very well (AMHIK)! Filling up every morning does away with that risk.    BW

Truer words were never written!  Thank you Bruce!  Good advice from a "truly experienced" guide. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2018 at 3:16pm
Hey Mike, as summer rolls in and we have a little time to prep, is there anything you need for the FCT?  Big tent?  Parts?  
Lew
Lew Ladwig
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2018 at 5:08pm
Good morning Lew, and Happy Easter to you and yours!

What time to prep?  I'm elbow deep in a radical transformation of the Blue Mule that's long overdue.  First and most importantly I'm installing a Throttle Body Injector TBI system.  As you probably remember I've had problems with my carb for years.  Last year I finally had it and bought a TBI kit.  Now that it's warm enough to work in the shop I'm installing it.  I also installed an air compressor and air tank so I can air down my tires for off-road travel, then air them back up quickly for highway travel.  I'm also fixing some other minor problems with the engine that I've been putting off.  And I'm changing out the T-90-A tranny for a T-90-C tranny to slow me down when I'm climbing over rocks.  Not that I like climbing over rocks, but I'm tired of bouncing over them because I can't go slow enough to climb over them.  And adding tubes in my radials will help with that whole process.  In addition to that, my friend Dennis and I are stripping Sam's Jeep down and rebuilding it completely so it'll be a safe and fully functional Jeep for anyone to use.  

But I have been thinking about FCT and parts.  I've got some donated parts that are left over from last year.  I need to inventory them to see what I've got.  I'm thinking that I may create a rolling cart or rolling shelf unit that I can put all those parts on so folks will know where to look if they need something.  I'm also thinking about making a rolling shelf unit to store all the fluids on.  Stuff like oils, grease, antifreeze, gear oil, solvents, etc.  

So here's an idea, if you have a rolling shelf unit, or know of one that's sturdy but inexpensive, then I'm interested.  As we get farther into summer and I've had a chance to see what I have for folks to use to keep their Jeeps running, I may make another request to see if we can put together some more parts.  But for now, what I need is organization, and a couple of rolling shelf units will help me with that.   

Thanks for asking!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2018 at 11:45pm
ok, Mike, no slacking at the Thirsty Dirt!
I am building a spare parts kit.  Hope to have a carb, fuel pump, genny, and some hoses, wire, etc.  Put in a box that can tag along on the trail.  That way if a jeep goes down we have a rolling parts bin!
Good luck with the Blue Mule!
Lew Ladwig
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 12:51pm
Ya know Lew, you got me thinking.  If everyone who comes to FCT would bring a few things to keep their Jeep running well, that would go a long way toward fixing problems along the trails.  So if folks would think about problems they have had with their Jeeps, and brings some parts to deal with it, it could be a good thing.  One example would be vapor lock.  If your Jeep has ever vapor locked on you, it is far more likely that it will vapor lock again at these high altitudes.  So what could you bring?  A back up fuel pump, perhaps an electric model that you could insert into your fuel line.  Some rubber fuel line and steel fittings that you could use to replace part of your fuel line.  A gallon of water that you could use to cool off your mechanical fuel pump.  How about a tow strap so someone could tow your Jeep up the next hill, then you could coast down the other side to cool your engine off.  So there's one example of how folks could prepare their Jeep for this kind of adventure.

Having a few basic tools, including a jack and lug wrench is also a good idea.  We get flat tires on the trail every year.  Having a spare tire, and being able to change the flat for the spare, are common sense self-recovery items each Jeep should have.  

I applaud and appreciate all the experienced off road drivers who join us for FCT that bring along an extensive parts kit, like the one you mentioned Lew.  The experiences that you and others have had with breakdowns and tools and parts that were needed really helps when someone's Jeep quits on them.  Even something as thoughtful as a box of common nuts and bolts has made a huge difference in whether we can make repairs, or do we have to start a recovery operation.   I know the Blue Mule has had it's share of failures in the forest, from broken throttle cables to tires coming off to failed fuel pumps.  So I carry lots of pieces and parts to help me get back home.  I encourage everyone else to do that too.   

Just a few thoughts to share as I think about changes I've made to the Mule and what it means for my trail parts pack. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 39>