Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Column Shift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Arf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Column Shift
    Posted: 24 July 2005 at 10:08pm
I haved worked all day on a item that I have never even used, and I don't know how it is "when it's right".Any Input is needed. I just hooked up the Colunm shift unit complete, from the ball you grab on the shaft to the side mounted shift controlers on the side of the trans. I have never even driven a column shift and do not at this time know the pattern for sure. I assume pulling twords you and up is reverse? then down is first, and up and back is 2nd? back and down is third? This project I have been working on is a true learning experiance. How precise do i need to be on the adjustments at the trans.? Thanks in advance Gary
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 9:23am

Hi Gary,

The shift positions that you describe are correct. Here's the procedure that I use to set up my column shift linkages:

1) disconnect the linkages from the trany at the clevis by removing the clevis pin. Make Sure the clevis screws freely on the linkage. This is where you will adjust the length of the linkage.

2) Look at the shift ears on the shifter housing that is clamped to the streering column just above the steerign box. You will notice a Ø.25 hole in each ear and one on an ear on the housing. Insert a Ø.25 pin in the three holes such that all three holes are aligned. A  1/4 inch bolt will work for this. This procedure sets the shifter housing in the neutral position.

3) Move the shift ears on the trany by hand such that the trany is in neutral.

4) Adjust the clevis on each shift linkage such that the hole in the clevis lines up with the hole in the shift ear. Connect the clevis to the shift ear and tighen the jam nut on the clevis.

5) Your done. Enjoy!!!!!

Joe

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Gary Arf View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Arf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:00am
 Thanks Joe, After that adjustment and a couple wheel brake cylinders, I will be testing the drive train on the Proving Grounds Jeep.
 Post Reply Post Reply