Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Combat Rim"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Combat Rim"?
    Posted: 15 Feb. 2012 at 7:12pm
While researching tires and rims I came across an old post of FBill's about wheels.  One of the pix he posted is what he refers to as a "WWII combat rim".  I recently found one of these and had no idea what it was and neither did anyone else I asked.  His has square holes spaced around the rim, mine has studs in the holes.  Otherwise look the same.  Are these really Jeep wheels"?  What are the studs for?

TnFFC facebook page
TennesseeFlatFenderClub@yahoo.com

'47 CJ2A 125829
'46 CJ2A 72736 Rust Bucket

DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2012 at 7:21pm
These rims are made of two pieces!  They allowed a flat tire or torn up tire to be replaced in the field.  You would unbolt the rim (with no pressure) pull the two halves apart, put the new tube or tire on, bolt back together and inflate.  This allowed a tire to be changed on the front line, or in combat Hence, Combat Rim.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2012 at 8:18pm
Whatever you do, do NOT inflate that tire unless you replace the nuts that hold the two halves together.Right now only rust is holding the two halves together and when it finally lets go it could be catastrophic for anyone nearby.  

Also, there is an additional bead lock piece that most folks left out once they rusted some, that may still be in there. It is a flat ring that goes between the two tire beads and around the rim. It prevents the use of a normal tire machine. These rims are to be dismantled by hand and reassembled the same way, using a conventional tire machine and maybe even the new style ones will bend them. At $200 plus for repops and $150 approx for a good used one , you do not want to ruin it .
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Jeep Lady View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2012 at 8:25pm

Thanks for the info.  It actually belongs to my sister.  My Dad was bad for dragging interesting things home from the dump.  One of those that came home with more than he took.  She found it behind the garage. I told her not to scrap it until we found out what it was. I'm sure she would happily sell it if anyone wanted it.

TnFFC facebook page

'47 CJ2A 125829

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2012 at 10:19pm
Sure, post a photo of the wheel (particularly the valve hole) and post s price. I may be interested since I need one more, and if not I'm sure someone else would be.
Jeep Lady View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2012 at 11:46pm
Will post pictures in the "for sale" section as soon as my sister sends them to me. 
TnFFC facebook page

'47 CJ2A 125829

BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2012 at 3:42am
Jim
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 3:10am
pm sent your way Smile
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 5:33am
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/1945-t3c-470_topic19512.html
Scroll down through my pics and you will see the combat rims seperated
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
PlacerWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlacerWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2012 at 2:19am
Thanks for that Video link BOWJA01 !
Cleared up a few things I was wondering regarding the Combat Wheels. Clap
~~~~~~~~~
Will
1947 CJ2a 111xxx
1947 CJ2a 88xxx(parts donor)
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2012 at 1:04pm
np, bensinger's has a lot of good youtube videos.
Jim
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2012 at 2:19am
Has anyone tried to inflate a tire with their mouth?

Any WW2/Korea vets here?

My Dad, WW2 type and my Uncle, Korea type, both say a young, scared soldier/marine can and they have.  They said about 16-17psi. is all that is needed off pavement.

I think if they had told me that when I was 18 or so, I would try.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2012 at 4:25am
Originally posted by johnnybravo johnnybravo wrote:

Has anyone tried to inflate a tire with their mouth?

Why just the other day I was kinda bored, just wondering around the shop trying to think of something to get started on and I saw this tire sitting over in the corner and next thing ya know......................LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2012 at 5:40pm
I know of a congressman person east of me that could still do it (probably "seal the bead" also).
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Post Reply Post Reply