Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commando steering setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commando steering setup
    Posted: 14 July 2019 at 10:03pm
I just picked up a 1970 commando to part out. Looking it over, it has crossover type steering on the front axle, so that’s a bonus i  didn’t know I was getting. Is the steering box useable in a cj steering conversion? It’s a manual steering box. I was hoping for power when I went to look at it, but no luck. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 10:06pm
Yes, should be a standard Saginaw.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:05am
The box will work fine.  The passenger side knuckle should have the double tie rod end set up. You can simply bolt up the D-27 under your rig.  

I would suggest not using the steering box to frame adapter....they break.

The drivers side motor mount should unbolt and can be used else where. 

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:13am
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

I would suggest not using the steering box to frame adapter....they break.

X2

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:43am
When I get started on it I’ll be sure and set the box and axle in the parts stash.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 1:37am
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

When I get started on it I’ll be sure and set the box and axle in the parts stash.

Depending on "what your're doing to your rig"  the Commando offers good upgrades. 

We put the longer off set springs under a 3b with the complete running gear. came out great.

I used to have cj-5.6.7.8. guys call me for commando frames.  The frames are superior to a cj,  boxed in, so the guys simply shorten them up.  

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 1:43am
If it is a 525 Saginaw steering box it will be a 6.25 turn stop to stop and will be a very nice box to drive down the road. The Power steering boxes are 3 turn stop to stop and at hwy speeds tend to be twitchy I am told. If your not doing hard core off road stuff involving trying to push your front tires up on stuff the Manual will be a very nice up grade to the Ross box.

I chose the 525 box specifically because I plan on long drives in CHUG and did not want to be as cautious as a power box can require. Easier to lean over and pick something up off the floor if the slightest movement of the wheel doesn't have you in the other lane or ditch.

IMHO
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply