Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Considering Previous Owner Mods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering Previous Owner Mods
    Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 10:26pm
I'm early in the process of revitalizing a few flat fender Jeeps that have been in my life for 30+ years but that have been inactive for most of that time.  My understanding is that these jeeps likely spent a few years on a farm and then in the late 50s or early 60s the owners floated them over to the fairly remote, island hunting camp where I later became familiar with them in the 90s.  Most of the modifications are clear in their intentions and in showing the limited time, resources or effort on-hand for implementing them.  The jeeps that I've been around received minimal investment over their decades of service.

Currently I'm rebuilding the carbs for these two Jeeps and it's clear that the same mechanic worked on these when they were last touched, likely in the 70s or 80s.  Both of these Jeeps are running WO carbs and both had the throttle linkage wired up similarly (see below).  Both also had modified choke-throttle linkage (if you can call removing it in one case a mod).  A more peculiar mod is that a grease fitting was added to one of these carbs.  My assumption is that the plug was lost and a grease fitting was found to work and was left in place until now.  With no pavement on the island anything dropped is easy to loose and it's a boat ride and a decent drive to get to a parts supplier.  I wouldn''t be surprised if I find the spot where the grease fitting used to live on the chassis somewhere, though it could have easily come off of some other equipment.

I'm guessing as other Jeeps get pulled out of long term storage that similar mods of necessity or from creative mechanics of the past turn up and that more interesting mods than these could be added to this thread.  Anyone care that share?  As I get more photos and time with these Jeeps I'm sure I'll have more to add.

Grease fitting on the CJ2A WO, 2nd picture shows that it likely was never used for grease at least.  Anyone know of a reason for this fitting beyond just plugging the hole?

Wired up throttle linkage similar on the CJ2A and the M38 WO Carbs:

Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 12:59am
I don’t recall which plug is hard to find, but if you look for scout pilot (Rick) at oldjeepcarbs he has lots of good info and advice. Also many videos etc. 

My guess is he can answer almost any question 

Bitz

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 10:29am
The grease zerk is plugging the vacuum port for a vacuum advance distributor, found on trucks and wagons I believe, a trip to the hardware store for a 1/8” NPT plug will solve that issue! 👍🏽…. The throttle linkage is wired together because it’s wore excessively and will not allow the throttle shaft to completely return to idle, a very common issue on a WO… Good luck on your repairs 😎

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 12:03pm
Thanks Lee,

That's interesting on the throttle return issue, and makes sense.  I wasn't sure exactly what the PO was fixing there but he must have liked the fix as he did it on both.

I've already rebuilt the carb for the M38 and had to ream and re-bush the throttle shaft which took most of the play out.  That M38 WO is back to factory configuration and runs great, including idle and throttle return, so I guess the wire mod is no longer needed.  Hopefully this CJ2A carb turns out as good.

I figured the Zerk was a plug but I still liked the idea of the PO pumping some mystery engine improvement substance into the port back in the 70s ;)

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 12:13pm
Personally, I like unique "bubba" mods, especially if they do the job. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by jpoole jpoole wrote:

Thanks Lee,

That's interesting on the throttle return issue, and makes sense.  I wasn't sure exactly what the PO was fixing there but he must have liked the fix as he did it on both.

I've already rebuilt the carb for the M38 and had to ream and re-bush the throttle shaft which took most of the play out.  That M38 WO is back to factory configuration and runs great, including idle and throttle return, so I guess the wire mod is no longer needed.  Hopefully this CJ2A carb turns out as good.

I figured the Zerk was a plug but I still liked the idea of the PO pumping some mystery engine improvement substance into the port back in the 70s ;)

Your M-38 may have a WO, but that’s not the original, but a much better option 😎

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 7:01pm
Your right on the carb not being original but I prefer the WO myself.  Beyond the carb the M38 is 12v with an alt, has a modern starter, solid state dizzy, electric fuel pump, etc.  Enough of the original stuff is there to be fun to look at but it has moved towards a civilian setup as repairs were implemented over the years. 

jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 7:04pm
Here they are soon after they came into my possession, still in their island habitat.

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 8:32pm
They look right at home
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by 48walker 48walker wrote:

They look right at home

UH.. do I hear a banjo??

Edited by muley - 24 Jan. 2022 at 9:25pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2022 at 9:54pm
Never heard a banjo but there are lots of squealing wild pigs on the island...

No claims have been made that these Jeeps are anything other than interesting examples of what a half century of farm then hunting camp duty, with minimal care, does to a vehicle.  Impressively they've remained operational, with limitations, throughout their existence thus far.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 7:21pm
Gotta love how a couple of flatties fit right in on hunting camps all over the good ol US of A! 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 9:02pm
I agree with that jeeper50 and think their simplicity makes them better suited than many vehicles to the infrequent use that they often see at hunting camps.  There are fewer wires for the rats to chew on at least. 
 Post Reply Post Reply