Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convert 6 volt to 12 volt or not.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convert 6 volt to 12 volt or not.
    Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 3:28am
I am looking at a few jeeps. One of them that has my interest was redone. But when redone the owner left the 6 volt system and actually replaced all the wiring with period correct cloth covered wire, (I was told). I have also noted in many forums that most do a 12V conversion. How do you guys feel about 12V or 6V. I guess purist owners would keep the 6V. Just looking for advice and comments on this. Btw, I like the hunt, looking for my jeep. Its been fun. 

Thanks, Glenn
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 4:49am
I've gone thru this thought process and still not decided for myself on my 55 Willys wagon.  It's still 6 volt and runs fine.  My biggest concern is really if you have a dead battery for some reason while away from home (I have a 6v charger at home) and need a jump.  Especially if the wife is out and some good intending, but unknowledgeable guy decides to help with a jump.  Of course the best medicine is to make sure things stay healthy but we all know things happen and of course at the wrong times.  The wife has been extensively schooled about it.  The only other things to consider is if you want some sort of 12 volt accessory attached like radio, heated seats, electric winch, etc.  Just some food for thought.  I've also been told the 12v taillights are really brighter. Hope this helps. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 4:50am
Glen, Welcome aboard!

If the wiring is indeed new, you can either stay six volt or go with twelve volt. You do not have to wonder if the wiring is too old & corroded to handle six volts. Which is why a lot of six volt systems just do not work well. The easy fix for the system not working well, is to convert to 12 volts, which IMHO, is just a Band-aid.

If it is just going to be used as an ice cream rig, six volts will be fine.

Of course if you want an electric winch, or good off road lights, 12 Volt is the way to go.

Heck, I had a 1964 VW Baja that I had converted to eight volts. Just add an eight volt battery & up the voltage regulator. It worked well for over 30 years. It would not run a winch, & six volt off road lights have become hard to find. If I were to do it again, I would go with twelve volts.

Keep in mind though, I am a get 'er done kinda guy. I like my rigs as original as is practicable. I do not see the point in taking an original CJ-2a & making a rock crawler out of it. IMHO, If that is what one wants, make a good rock crawler from scratch, & put a CJ-2a look-alike body on it. OTOH, converting to twelve volts is fine by me.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 5:24am
You ask for opinions so here’s mine:

Advantages of 12 volt system: 
-can run modern accessories like winches, radios, silly lights that bring the sun into the night etc.
-Higher voltage means less amperage so you can slide by sometimes with old wiring or rusty connections 
-common voltage for emergency battery jumping (although I have successfully jumped 6volt rigs with 12 volt in the past)
-regular lights are to some degree brighter 

Disadvantages of switching to 12 from 6:
-cost, you have to change all light bulbs, fuel gauge and sender, battery, generator and regulator, coil, starter (can keep if you’re careful), probably some other stuff that I can’t think of right now.
-you lose the cool factor of running an original rig

I still have the 6 volt system and I run the heck out of my rig. I have wished for an electric winch and if I ever change it will be to accomidate said winch. Other than that, the 6 volt works fine.

I don’t think the battery jumping issue is really a big deal. I’ve push started mine in a parking lot by myself before. Little bit of a trick and I don’t want to do it again, but ... Two or three people can get one going pretty easy with a push. My uncles tell mine that back in the day when they had my Jeep, it never would start with the battery so they always parked on a hill and roll started it. I suspect that their teenage budgets had other priorities than a battery when they had other sutablystarting solutions.

Lots of pluses to 12 volt, but I wouldn’t do it on a fully functioning rig.

Your milage may vary.

Edited by smfulle - 12 Sep. 2018 at 4:58pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 4:54pm
I converted Ol' Red 45 years ago over to a Delco alternator setup and have never had a electrical issue since. (knock on wood!) Before the conversion I was always having issues. Hard to start, dead generators, etc.

I have her to drive and if she won't run then she isn't as much fun as she should be.

From the outside she looks about 98% factory, but underneath the hood lives and breathes a Delco alternator system that has never let me down(again, knock on wood!)

When you are miles from the nearest repair parts and tools, that means a lot in my books.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 5:18pm
I converted mine to 12 volts mainly because I have a trailer and like to be able to pull it with my truck and the Willys. Mine also has a 65 amp Delco alternator (from an S10 pick up) and I wired in an indicator light in so I know when it's not charging. 
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 5:47pm
Over on the www.g503.com WWII jeep forum where jeeps were 6-volt, the question about changing to 12-volt comes up about two or three times a week. The general consensus is that when you make the change you probably fixed the issues with your 6-volt system anyway. Nine out of ten "problems" with a 6-volt system are maintenance related anyway; loose connections, poor grounds and bad wiring are at the top of the list.

You COULD spend a few dollars to rebuild your generator or spend a handful on an alternator. You COULD spend a few more to rebuild your starter or a bunch more on a 12-volt one. You COULD remove all the wiring/grounding and clean the contacts and remove paint that inhibits proper grounding, but you'd be doing that with a switch to a 12-volt system.

You COULD install a new wiring harness or just clean it up and stay 6-volt or you COULD install a new harness and solve the 6-volt "problems" anyway. You COULD have your 6-volt battery checked for its CCA rating for free at NAPA or just buy a new 12-volt battery and dump a perfectly good 6-volt.

Six volt systems when properly maintained are not a problem unless you live in Antarctica or the Himalayas.

OK...I get it, guys want to install a cigarette lighter to charge the cell phone or a GPS system or a sound system like their daily driver has...if that is the driving force (pun intended) then, just rip out all that 6-volt stuff and go 12-volt!

PS...I did the opposite with my 1942 GPW; it ran like crap when purchased so besides the rebuilt carb it needed, I installed a new 6-volt wiring harness, a 6-volt genny & regulator I had set up and installed new 6-volt headlamps. I installed WWII taillights after removing the farmer taillights it had on it and found the new wiring harness enabled me to finally get a reading on the gas gauge. The grill BO lights worked, the dash lights now worked as well. When installing, I made sure to clean the contacts and wiring posts and to tighten them down.

It's not a daily driver, nor do I spend much time at 45 MPH on the freeway so I think my 6-volt system is working just fine!
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 6:34pm
It is all very easy. Mostly you are just changing out light bulbs.              I was sticking in a V6 so I had the alternator. The only problem I had was the fuel gauge but I found the right resister to fix it.
uncamonkey
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by PackRat PackRat wrote:

Over on the www.g503.com WWII jeep forum where jeeps were 6-volt, the question about changing to 12-volt comes up about two or three times a week. The general consensus is that when you make the change you probably fixed the issues with your 6-volt system anyway. Nine out of ten "problems" with a 6-volt system are maintenance related anyway; loose connections, poor grounds and bad wiring are at the top of the list.

You COULD spend a few dollars to rebuild your generator or spend a handful on an alternator. You COULD spend a few more to rebuild your starter or a bunch more on a 12-volt one. You COULD remove all the wiring/grounding and clean the contacts and remove paint that inhibits proper grounding, but you'd be doing that with a switch to a 12-volt system.

You COULD install a new wiring harness or just clean it up and stay 6-volt or you COULD install a new harness and solve the 6-volt "problems" anyway. You COULD have your 6-volt battery checked for its CCA rating for free at NAPA or just buy a new 12-volt battery and dump a perfectly good 6-volt.

Six volt systems when properly maintained are not a problem unless you live in Antarctica or the Himalayas.

OK...I get it, guys want to install a cigarette lighter to charge the cell phone or a GPS system or a sound system like their daily driver has...if that is the driving force (pun intended) then, just rip out all that 6-volt stuff and go 12-volt!

PS...I did the opposite with my 1942 GPW; it ran like crap when purchased so besides the rebuilt carb it needed, I installed a new 6-volt wiring harness, a 6-volt genny & regulator I had set up and installed new 6-volt headlamps. I installed WWII taillights after removing the farmer taillights it had on it and found the new wiring harness enabled me to finally get a reading on the gas gauge. The grill BO lights worked, the dash lights now worked as well. When installing, I made sure to clean the contacts and wiring posts and to tighten them down.

It's not a daily driver, nor do I spend much time at 45 MPH on the freeway so I think my 6-volt system is working just fine!
I think most GPW/MB owners would maintain a 6 volt system just for the historical value...but then most of them are more OCD than CJ owners...

My jeep I bought to drive, not as a museum piece. Granted, IF (and that is a pretty big IF) I owned a GPW/MB I would probably be more OCD about its condition.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I converted Ol' Red 45 years ago over to a Delco alternator setup and have never had a electrical issue since.  

I repaired Uncle Linden's 6 volt generator (new commutator end frame) and replaced one cable when I got the jeep 22 years ago, and have never had an electrical issue since.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I converted Ol' Red 45 years ago over to a Delco alternator setup and have never had a electrical issue since.  

I repaired Uncle Linden's 6 volt generator (new commutator end frame) and replaced one cable when I got the jeep 22 years ago, and have never had an electrical issue since.  BW
I only wish I had been so fortunate. I went through a half a dozen generators in two years and even had one professionally rebuilt. Even voltage regulators seemed to fizzle on me. No joy...

They all seemed to work for a while, but eventually.....

The starter (6 volt) stayed with me until last year and worked great although it did manage to eat big holes in the flywheel ring gear from the hard engagement that is common with operating them on 12 volts. I replaced the ring gear and starter while working on a transmission issue last year.

I'm not saying that one can't operate a 6 volt system and be successful with it; I only know that it didn't happen with me. Of course, I am not noted for my ability to attract good luck, having been born under the Sign of the Turd.

Even though I'm a reasonably successful jeep mechanic, I would rather drive them than fix them and I have done a fair amount of repair work over the last 49 years I have owned Ol' Red.

Thanks for the comment, Bruce, I follow your postings regularly.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 3:53am
I've had Ol' Unreliable for 19 years and I still have not decided whether I want to switch to 12 volts or not.  I'm currently unhappy with my Optima battery.  It doesn't want to hold a charge.  It was brand new just... nine years ago?  It replaced an Optima that was 10 years old...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 3:57am
I ran both 6 and 12 volt systems. Both work well, 12 volt better. I don't think it should be a factor in your purpose. If it's a good 6 volt system that's great. You shouldn't have issues. If you decide to converted to 12 volt, it's very simple. Cost is minimal, maybe $300.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 5:55am
From 1948 through the end of it being used on the road in Sept of 1976 Chug was 6V During the three years I drove it in high school I remember a bunch of electrical problems mostly with the starter.

In this version of CHUG I am setting it up with a 105 Amp Delco 10SI Marine alternator and a Series 31 (HUGE) battery. It will have a stereo/CB/GMRS/10meter HAM radios It will have a 1000 Watt inverter, Fog Lights, 80 watt H4 head lamps, Heater, 2spd intermittent wipers, Electric fan and fuel pump,  a Toyota FJ40 Starter (yes they can work on a 134L if you use the correct ring gear and bellhousing) and various smaller electrical devices. I am even planning on having a pair of Lithium Jump start batteries that can be used to operate the radio gear in an emergency and to have on board jump start ability. All wiring will be up sized and I am running seperate grounds for most things it will even have a large fuse and relay box. And it will be supporting an off road trailer.

Yes I'm nuts.

BUT CHUG is not stock not original and hasn't been since before 1962 so I'm not worried about it.

That said if I was to have a stock/original Willys I would most likely keep a 6V system.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 3:06pm
6V works fine as noted by all. I periodically take my generator and starter apart to clean, check bushings, brushes, commutators and they are still original  and work fine. I did make a new wire harness and ensure all connections are clean.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply