Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

convert a 6v generator to 12v

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: convert a 6v generator to 12v
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2016 at 2:59am
Has anyone converted a 2a generator to 12v? I have a one wire alternator on my 48 but it really looks out of place. I'm considering having my generator converted to 12v if it's possible. I want to keep the 12v system so that I can run 12v accessories.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2016 at 3:08am
  It might be easier and less expensive to look for a  12 volt jeep generator and regulator.   Most autos changed to 12 volt in the mid to late 1950s.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2016 at 3:47am
I have a 12V Autolite generator on my 2A, came off a late Willys truck...... Bolt on, no modification from stock 6V other than you need a matching regulator as well.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2016 at 6:51am
X3 on the 12 Volt generator & regulator. It will save you time & $$!
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2016 at 3:26pm
I will check around for a 12v generator.  Pretty much anything off of a Willys will fit?  I figured I would need a new voltage regulator rather than using an old crusty one.

In the meantime, I will get a price on rebuilding and converting mine.  There is a starter/alternator service out of Little Rock that sends a guy by our John Deere dealership every other week to pick stuff up.  Ill send it down there for a price.
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2016 at 11:52pm
I know they can be rewound for 12v operation.  I know a guy who did it if you want me to ask what it cost him
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2016 at 2:46am
Do not limit yourself to Willys, try Rambler, Nash, Studebaker, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, or almost anything else from that era. Take your old 6 Volt one along to compare the 12 Volt one to. Mounting brackets will be the critical items. Your old pulley should bolt on to any generator from that time frame.

There are two different circuits for generators. This is a very small issue that can be addressed. Just be sure you get both the generator & regulator from the same rig. At least find out, (if you can), what rig the generator came from. If you can not, we can figure it out together. It is just a little bit tougher.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2016 at 2:17pm
The salvage yards around me only have later model stuff. Its going to be a challenge to find one locally. How much should I expect to pay for a 12v generator that needed rebuilt?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2016 at 4:51pm
  Check with Harry Sheets at Midwest Willys, Crawfordsville, Indiana He might have what you need. Him and his wife Jo are real nice people to deal with.

Jim
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2016 at 5:32pm
My dealer cost to convert my 6v generator to 12v was $125.00.  I picked up a 12v regulator from Harry Sheets for $25.  My generator is an A circuit generator and Harry thought the regulators he had were A circuit.  How do I tell for sure when I get it?
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2016 at 8:48am
I picked up a 14v generator setup from the salvage yard in Spokane for $17.  It came out of a 50's Mercedes. The $17 included the generator, regulator, and harness. The place is called Pull N Save.

If anyone is interested in various parts, I can pop over there and have a look. They don't have a huge selection of older rigs, but it has a fairly rapid turnover. 

It's where I picked up four vintage Willys rims at $20 each. Two are correct for my 48 2A and the other two are M38 rims. 
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2016 at 2:23pm
Got everything in yesterday.

Regulator

The generator is an A circuit generator.  How can I make sure that the regulator matches up?
gbenoit View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 1:18am
Ryan,
Did the generator work out? I updated to 12V many years ago with an alternator, but I like the look of using a generator. I still have my old stock one in a box. Would you mind sending me the name of the business you used? Not sure if they would be willing to ship it to Mass, but it's worth a call.
Thanks
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by gbenoit gbenoit wrote:

Ryan,
Did the generator work out? I updated to 12V many years ago with an alternator, but I like the look of using a generator. I still have my old stock one in a box. Would you mind sending me the name of the business you used? Not sure if they would be willing to ship it to Mass, but it's worth a call.
Thanks

I just now noticed your reply.  I sent mine to a place in Little Rock AR.  They are a big enough company im sure they would take mail orders.  I am lucky enough to work at a tractor dealership and they have a route that comes by our store every two weeks.

http://www.armatureserviceco.com/
gbenoit View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:20am
I'll check them out. 
Thanks!
oldude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 9:11pm
Now I'm getting more confused. I pulled the generator off of my 2a and took it to a shop that rebuilds alternators, generators, etc. It didn't have anything on it that would identify it to me, like a tag. It checked out okay, but when I asked if it was 6 or 12 volt, the shop owner looked at me like I had 3 heads and explained to me that it generated and the voltage regulator determined the voltage output. Do I need to seek out another source?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 10:32pm
Take it to someone that knows the difference. Or you could bench check it yourself if you have a volt meter. Fasten a jumper wire from the field (small) terminal of the generator to the case to ground it. Connect the volt meter +lead to the Amp. (large) terminal and the -lead to ground. Spin the generator using a drill motor with a socket on the pulley nut to about 600 rpm. If the voltage is around 7 volts it is a 6 volt starter if it is around 13 volts it is a 12 volt generator.

If it is on the jeep take the wires off the generator that go to the regulator and run the same test with your jeep running at idle.

Jim

Edited by WeeWilly - 20 Jan. 2018 at 10:34pm
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 12:00pm
"Do I need to seek out another source? "
Yes
Or do the tests WeeWilly suggested.
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>