Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converto Jeep Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converto Jeep Trailer
    Posted: 11 June 2015 at 10:47pm
I just finished the restoration of my 1947 CJ2A then just ran across this trailer locally. I am considering purchasing it to compliment my Jeep. The guy that owns it doesn't have a price in mind and I am quite lost as to what to offer for it. The plate on it ID's it as a Converto trailer that was made for the Corps of Engineers in November 1944. It is very solid with the only rust on it along the bottom of the tailgate. It is a dump type trailer and has a front control for the tailgate release. The tailgate has a 6 inch hole with sliding gate, apparently for laying a line of sand or ?. It has been re-painted at one time with a beige color but mostly worn flat and chalky.....but NO rust other than mentioned above. The biggest concern of it's current owner is that it goes to someone who will restore it rather than junk it. The taillights are missing and the tongue jack is bent but fixable.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it would be worth? I don't have any pictures at the moment but may be able to get some this weekend. I am looking to be fair but am totally lost as to where to begin. Thanks for any comments.
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2015 at 11:43pm
Not really a common trailer behind a 2A, but that's ok. I have seen a few for sale in the last year, incomplete to complete but needing restoration, $800-$2500. The Military collectors like them.

HTH, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Red Dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2015 at 3:54am
Lee,
Thanks for the input. I agree that a military style trailer would be a bit out of character for a civilian Jeep. It looks cool but a bit of a mismatch. Your comments give me some reference for starters. Just for discussion, I will try to get some pictures of it this weekend. I just finished my haying for the year and have a bit of time for myself. Yesterday, I just drove my 2A into town for fun! Smile
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply