Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Transmission Fluid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:28am
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

For future reference for anyone not stocked with 5 gallons of GL-1 Wink, the NAPA number that is in the computer for 1 gallon of GL-1 is NAPA 65-201.  
This NAPA number will get you a gallon of GL-1 -- straight mineral oil.  I ordered it one day and had it the next.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
subsonic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subsonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:35am
cgflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:38am
Thanks. What should I be looking/listening for to know if there is damage?
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:31am
cgflyer-  its the brass and bronze parts that are affectted so the synchros blocking rings and bushings, namely 2nd gear has a i guess its bronze "lining" when this is wore it allows the gear to not ride true to the shaft and will pop out of second gear when you let off the accelerator. the synchros , you will notice "noisy" shifting between 2nd and 3rd  especially but also when you go up from 1st - 2nd. also the bushing in the xfer between the output shafts is bronze and is already subject to fast wear if your rig is equipped with lock out hubs up front. there are also a few thrust washers lined in bronze.

fwiw evidently the GL-5 oil is far and away the most common out there and seems most are using it. the three trans and xfers that i have rebuilt in last year ALL had brass/bronze particles in them in at least moderate quantities all thrust washers were severely scored, the thought never crossed my mind about oils and additives. the very first one that i did was my own and it has been sitting nearly a year with GL-5 in it (it has not been driven) so i may be ok with a flush and proper oil.

this has been an excellant and informative thread.

Sean, Sam or whoever has the ability , can we make this a "sticky"?

cheers

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
cgflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 12:44am
Thanks. The transmission has always had a whine but I have not had any issues with it popping out of gear. I have orders the GL-1 from Napa. I plan to change the oil, drive it for a couple days and then change it again. Hopefully that will get most of the GL-5 out of there!

Edited by cgflyer - 15 May 2012 at 1:16am
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 1:13am
Ordered the GL-1 from NAPA today, be here tomorrow afternoon.  Got tne "dumb look" when I asked for it, had to call them with the number.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Biggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 7:41pm
I just picked up a 5 gal pail of Conoco Synthetic Tranoil 50, GL-1/MT-1. It was recommended by my Conoco oil guy that I use at work. He said the most of the "knowledgeable" shops that he supplies use it. He was aware of the GL-5 concerns. Cost was $160.50/5gal.which comes out to about $8.00/qt. I was looking at Redline MT90 @ $16.00/qt. Anyone have any experience with the Conoco product?
'79 J20
'77 J20
'69 J3000
'68 J3000 DRW
'70 Renegade 1
'74 304 Renegade
'05 Sahara/Rubicon LJ
'46 CJ2A
'14 Cherokee Trailhawk
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:43pm
I think some have had issues with synthetic oil in the tranny and there may be a reference to it in this thread.
Life is only as good as you make it.
bjbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:50pm
Didn't notice this post before I posted a similar one about my recent experience with gear oils for the transmission and transfer case on my 48.

Edited by bjbear - 15 May 2012 at 11:52pm
Bill Johnson
Cold Lake, Alberta (Summer)
1947 CJ2A Serial #: 191131
Gold Canyon, Arizona (Winter)
1974 CJ5 304 V8
SYLVANWILLYS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYLVANWILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:42am
Just wanted to followup to my  "08 June 2011 at 11:15pm" post in this discussion.  I did end up buying the 5 gallon pail of the Valvoline GL-1.   Got it at Grainger's for like $90 and used it and so far so good.   As per that prior post NAPA could get the Valvoline product as well, but I think they ended up being around $30 more.  The Valvoline product number and some additional identifying information is in that prior post.  

Biggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:52pm
I didn't think it was the sythetic make so much as the GL-5 rating. Here's the info from the cut sheet...

Triton Synthetic Transoil 50 is a full-synthetic SAE 50

transmission lubricant designed for use in heavy-duty truck and

bus manual transmissions operating in extreme temperatures

and/or extended service intervals. It combines improved

low-temperature properties with outstanding oxidation resistance

and thermal stability at high temperatures to provide excellent

all-climate, year-round performance. It has excellent shear

stability and antiwear properties to protect synchronizers, reduce

component wear and promote longer transmission life. It is

particularly recommended for use in newer, higher-torque manual

transmissions coupled with increased horsepower engines. It is

fully approved for extended drain service in Eaton Roadranger®

transmissions.

Applications

Triton Synthetic Transoil 50 is recommended for use in

ArvinMeritor, Dana Spicer, Eaton Fuller, International, Mack and

other heavy-duty manual transmissions that require a non-EP

gear oil (API GL-1/MT-1) or a MIL-L-2104D (API CD) quality

engine oil. It is approved for 500,000-mile drain intervals in Eaton

transmissions under the Eaton Roadranger® PS-164 Rev 7

specification.

Triton Synthetic Transoil 50 meets or exceeds the requirements of:

• API Service GL-1, MT-1

• ArvinMeritor O-81

• Dana Spicer transmissions

• Eaton Fuller transmissions

• Eaton Roadranger® E500(PS-164 Rev 7)

• International TMS 6816

• Mack TO-A Plus

• MIL-L-2104D

• ZF Freedomline transmissions

Features/Benefits

• Extended drain, all-season performance

• Outstanding oxidation resistance and thermal stability to

minimize sludge and varnish formation

• Excellent low-temperature properties for easier shifting in

cold weather

• High shear stability

• High load-carrying capacity

• Protects against component wear and gear micropitting

The MT-1 thing kind of baffles me but, I figure I'll give it a try anyway...
'79 J20
'77 J20
'69 J3000
'68 J3000 DRW
'70 Renegade 1
'74 304 Renegade
'05 Sahara/Rubicon LJ
'46 CJ2A
'14 Cherokee Trailhawk
Giddy Up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giddy Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 3:20pm
I am in Australia; we have Penrite Oils and they sell Penrite T90, an API GL-1 oil, specifically designed for vintage gearboxes, which will not corrode ferrous and non-ferrous materials. I discovered that after I found the gearbox oil in my 1946 CJ2A was a nice yellow colour.
1946 Willys CJ2A #41921
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 3:33pm
The sources that I have read state that MT-1 designates a lubricant with extreme pressure (EP) additives designed for non-synchronized transmissions.  That is not what the T-90 is which is why it has the yellow metal synchronizer rings.  Some EP additives destroy these metals.  I would be cautious about using that lubricant.
Sam

FlaJoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlaJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 4:35pm
   Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. 

Has anyone checked out this stuff?   According to their website; "It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions."  an aanlysis of the oil found that "consist of a 5W30 non-detergent oil with a friction modifer and an EP (extreme pressure) additive". The use of EP additives concerns me.

More details can be found here http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm
Joe
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 5:22pm
I found that product at Advance Auto and, after looking into it, found that it was designed for certain GM and, I think Chrysler, contemporary vehicles.  The viscosity is not correct for our T-90s, I think.  Since NAPA carries the straight mineral oil called for and the product number is known for the US stores, why take a chance on something where the label mentions only certain vehicles?
Sam

Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

You may want to flush the tranny and transfer cases with kerosene. Jack the rear wheels up and run it in high gear a few minutes at idle to stir it up and drain it. Don't drive it with the kerosene in it. Two minutes or less should work. You may have already damaged the blocking rings and only time will tell.

Could someone elaborate on this process? Do I drain what's in there first, then add kerosene? How much?

I pulled the transmission cover off Bugger yesterday to take a look at things. (Can't get into 2nd while rolling unless I double clutch) Level is low, but at least its not a rusty mess!

Headed to NAPA later for GL1
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 3:15pm
Call NAPA first.  They had to order my GL-1 from a warehouse.  It took only one day, though.

I would drain the old stuff first and then add the kerosene.
Sam

chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 1:23am
What about this oil sold at Tractor Supply for Ford tractors??

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traveller-reg-ford-tractor-all-mineral-90-transmission-fluid-2-gal--0806600

Is this stuff the correct viscosity?  Or is the GL 1 NAPA oil the only choice right now??

Great thread by the way .... !!
chris

2A #13396
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>