Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

covering your Jeep in Winter.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: covering your Jeep in Winter.
    Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 3:47am
Guys, unfortunately I don't have a garage big enough to keep all of my Jeeps under cover and thought I check with the Forum to see what everyone does that must keep their old iron out side.
So far I use the cheap Harbor Freight silver tarps using rubber tie downs to hold it down, works marginally well but  must be some thing better.

Any one use the Beachwood fitted covers, I think they offer one for out side storage for Jeeps.
Thanks Jerry

gearwrencher
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 10:53am
Harbor freight tarp as well, mostly just to keep the steering forward covered, the rain is helping get the bed liner off, but it's still going slow
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 2:13pm
What about one of those pop up garages? Seems like that would do a better job of keeping your Jeep dry than a tarp laid over it. They’re not too terribly expensive. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 2:15pm
I
IronAge52,

I have been storing my trail Jeep outside for almost 40 years and think I actually have this perfected.

This works great in high winds, heavy rain, hail, heavy snow, ice and on sunny days.

I can post some picture better pictures if you are interested.  Disregard the CJ7 in the for ground.  In the back you can see the 1946 under its cover.

I replace the canvas tarp every 5 years or so and recoat the tarp with Thompsons multi surface coating every two years.

The materials needed:
1 each Heavy Canvas tarp that is 10'8" x 14" (standard finished tarp size)
2 each sections of nylon strap (1" x 8 feet)
3 each big bungee cords (3' long)
1 each 8 foot wood 2x4
1 each 5 gallon pail/bucket

The basic setup is:  With the windshield down, you put a 5 gallon pail on the top edge of the windshield and place one end of the 2x4 on top of the bucket and the other end of the 2x4 on the top center of the roll bar.  This makes the frame that support the tarp and has no level areas for water to gather.  The water all sheds to the sides or rear of the Jeep.  

The nylon strap get threaded through the grommets  at the front and rear of the tarp and is pretty much never unthreaded after it is initially installed.  The ends of the nylon are used to snug/ cinch/ secure the end of the tarp to/around the bumpers.

Bungee Cords (this is confusing to describe - picture will help) One bungee cord is used on each side to snug the tarp slack (horizontally  - just attached to the tarp grommets) and the last bungee cord is used as a belly band that attaches on each side to the side bungee cords in their middle.   

Let me know if you want me to post pictures.

This does work fantastic - takes about 4 minutes to assemble and about 2 minutes to disassemble.

There are a few more finer details, if you interested I can share.

Edited to add pictures (again).

Edited by Stev - 17 Dec. 2019 at 7:19pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 2:16pm
If your jeep has a top. I like to place swim noodles on the top to allow for air circulation. I've used the brown/silver tarp from Lowe's for years. They last about a year. Probably spent enough on them to purchase a nice fitted top.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 2:24pm
I use an old asphalt tarp off a dump truck for the farm Jeep, it's much heavier than anything from the box stores and it works ok.
Haven't tried one for covering a Jeep yet, but I really like the treated canvas tarps you get at some farm stores. You would need to keep water from pooling because they will leak when water sits on it, but they also breathe some and would probably help moisture from building under it unlike a plastic tarp.
I like Steve's idea, I may need to do something like that for the farm Jeep.

Edited by 48willys - 11 Dec. 2019 at 2:28pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 5:52pm
I was given a 10x12 shelterlogic portable garage, the willys fits in perfect with my generator and small lawn tractor.  They sell them at home depot for around $400.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by oldmansimek oldmansimek wrote:

I was given a 10x12 shelterlogic portable garage, the willys fits in perfect with my generator and small lawn tractor.  They sell them at home depot for around $400.

Depending on where you live you need to be careful with that. A friend of mine had a portable garage set up and got cited by the city and had to get rid of it.  Apparently it didn't meet code.  But a good option where it's allowed.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 12:04am
Added a few pictures to my earlier post.

Some  of the finer details:

1.  In picture showing the front, there is a section of black polypropylene tarp that is used to cover the winch and front grill (and also the snow plow pump when installed).  It is a triangle shaped (right triangle) and has it right angle pointed down. The other two corners are tucked between the hood and the hood latches.  The right triangle corner is clamped to the tie rod with a Harbor freight plastic clamp.
2.  The 2x4 has to it ends rounded off to keep the sharp corners from damaging the tarp over time.  You also can just put a disposable fast food plastic cup on each end of the 2x4 with a drywall screw to accomplish the same thing (which is my preferred method).
3.  It is hard to see in the pictures but the bungee cords  on each side are running horizontal and there is a bungee cord that attaches to the center of the horizontal bungees and passes under the Jeep about at the center of the skid plate.  This bungee keeps the sides in tight in the wind.
4.  When the canvas tarp gets some age on it (3 to 5 years), I put a section of plastic across the dash and up to the bottom of the windshield just to keep any water that might get in through the old tarp off of the gauges.
5.  The front nylon cord get snugged around the front bumper and tied with a square knot.  The rear nylon cord get snug and tied to the pintle with a square knot.

Pretty simple and very reliable.

Cheers!

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 5:17am

Putting a tarp on the ground under the jeep also keeps the condensation from collecting on the bottom of the jeep.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 6:09am
My '46 CJ2A gets to live in the garage.  My wife's car and my truck both live outside.  I care about protecting my Jeep much more than anything I drive.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 8:15am
Once the trailer and Uncle Lynden’s jeep are both prepared for winter, the Jeep goes inside the trailer. The GPW is inside the new, larger trailer, and the Bulldog gets to stay in the garage. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 1:12pm
I have been using this set up for two winters so far, but the top is starting to leak.  Probably due to the heavy snow we sometimes get in Southern Ontario.  I also do the tarp under, but that will change when I build my lean-to.  Wink
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
 Post Reply Post Reply