Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Craigslist Find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craigslist Find
    Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:49am
Been searching for an M416 or M100 for a few months, and stumbled across this trailer on Craigslist.  drove to BFE Oklahoma at 5:45 this morning and trailered this back with me.  It was a little rougher than I was looking for, and I probably overpaid, but I love projects.  Data plate is missing, but a few pics to start the indentifying process:

Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:52am
Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:53am
Owner of another project
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:55am
Don't know whatyou might have over paid but what you show so far looks pretty good. Only missing the tow chains and hooks. Hitch is the hardest item to find!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:58am
Bantam T3-C  (probably a '47)

how about a pic of the taillight (I think that's harder to find than the hitch, but then mine came with the proper hitch so I never had to look for oneLOL)

Edited by bkreutz - 22 July 2012 at 1:00am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 1:11am
Tail light housing is there, but no lens unfortunately. I soaked all the bolts in PB blaster, so I hope to pull some of the smaller parts off for ID tomorrow. Main issues look to be the floor(expected), and it appears the right rear was damaged at some point. Thought I put that pic up, but apparently didn't. Here is the home made right rear corner:

Owner of another project
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 1:18am
What manufacturer is stamped on the reflector bezel?
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 1:33am
Not sure yet, started cleaning it up a tad, but still couldn't make it out.  Tried getting it off, but decided I better wait and let the PB Blaster soak in a bit.  Snapped top screw off, but can't budge the bottom and don't want to damage the bezel in the process.
Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 2:53am
Grotelite Bezel and reflector.
Owner of another project
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:41pm
Looks far more solid and "non-rusted out" than many/most back here in the East!

Best of luck with the new project!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 8:07pm
Spent a couple hours on it this morning.  Very surprised how well some of it cleaned up.  If I have more of the original red left, I would just clear the trailer and enjoy the patina of a 70 year old trailer.

Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2012 at 9:49pm
Changed my mind!  The resto-mod is now on.  This will be brought back as close to original as possible, while also being mindful that this will be a working trailer used behind a '99 TJ.

Edited by Aggie99 - 27 Feb. 2013 at 9:03pm
Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2013 at 9:04pm
Just ordered all replacement suspension from kaiserwillys.com.  Frame is cleaned up and primed, and should be a roller by the end of March.  Will take some updated pics soon.
Owner of another project
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 5:04am
Nice trailer  . . . looking forward to updated pics.

I recently started a project . . yours looks brand-new compared to what I am starting with. Big smile

Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2013 at 10:06pm
Looked through your thread yesterday, JeepFever.  I have been shocked at how good most of the body on my trailer is.  Only bad section is the front of the bed.  I am even thinking at this point of just laying fresh sheet metal or wood over the existing bed(once cleaned up and painted) since the replacement beds are not readily available at this time.  I did talk to a Canadian company yesterday that said they should have beds sometime around May.  Cost will be around $400, which is almost what I paid for the trailer to start with.
Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2013 at 11:51pm
Took a 5 gallon bucket and set up a little electrolysis to help remove the rust from some of the smaller parts.  I have never tried this, and I will say that the results were shocking!

Remaining flakes just wiped off to reveal the raw steel(though this pic is prior to wiping it off).  Here is a side by side pic with one of the brackets after an afternoon in the electrolysis, and the other ready to go in for the evening.

Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2013 at 5:57pm
Thread Update:  Been working on rust removal and getting all frame parts painted.  Using RustOleum Automotive Primer finished with Pro Enamel in gloss black for the frame parts.

Frame is cleaned and primed:

Owner of another project
Aggie99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2013 at 5:59pm
Prepping the axle for a rebuild/repaint:

Owner of another project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>