Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crank Pulley Seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank Pulley Seal
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 1:38am
How do you remove the seal that is in the timing gear cover? Preferably without having to buy any new tools. Thanks.
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 1:59am
Impacted drill to remove the nut and then remove the pulley.
I'm not sure if you have to take the cover off or the seal is
installed thru the front or back side, which if is the front
you won't have to remove the cover.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 2:04am
Cover needs to be removed because the seal is installed from the back side of the cover.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 3:08am
Yes, the seal is in the cover, but how do you separate the seal from the cover?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 11:56am
If it's a rope seal then just dig it out being careful not to score the bore. If it's a lip seal then here's a link to a youtube video that will help. Again, be careful not to score the bore.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 1:13am
So the bore (or where the seal sits in the cover) is scored and scratched pretty bad. There was a ton of RTV under the seal. Should I put it back in with Permatex#2, use a rope seal, or get a new timing gear cover?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 2:53am
Bummer, sounds like your cover has been mauled by one of those hooked style seal pullers or a careless screw driver. One has to be really careful with those.

I would use a different cover if I had easy access to anther one. Otherwise I would remove the high spots, use your favorite sealant in the bore, and install a lip seal. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply