Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crank pulley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank pulley
    Posted: 04 June 2023 at 6:58pm
Hi all,

I've got the crank pulley but off but pulley won't come off,.it's double grove pulley.  Do I need a puller if do what type of puller ...pic would be better.  The reason I have to take the pulley of b/c timing chain cover is leaking.  Its need rebuilt engine but I can't get the thing off.  Any suggestions?  Thanks 
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 8:05pm
You’ll need a puller. They usually come off okay if you just tighten it up a bit and tap the center bolt with a hammer. You don’t want to bend it…obviously.
Dave
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 10:34pm
I have never got a really stuck one off without bending it, and never found a puller that worked very well. Maybe DeYoung makes something for this?

Sometimes putting a pry bar under it with a little pressure, and using a block of wood and hammer giving it series of whacks on the face at different positions such as 12, 3, 6, 9 on a clock face, also moving the lever to side opposite of the whack will rock it off the shaft.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 10:51pm
I will be buy puller tomorrow and will let you guys how it go?
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 11:34pm
Maybe this video will help?  Pulley removal at about the 12 minute mark. Good luck

Mike in AZ
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 6:10am
I haven't found a puller that worked very well, either. I machined one that fit a single groove pulley, but it was cumbersome and the bell crank did not play well with the puller. The pulley ended up bent anyway.

If I need to remove a pulley and it is giving me a problem, I just plan on installing a new one because the old one will usually end up a mangled mess.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 5:17pm
If you are going to pull the engine anyway for an overhaul, wait until the engine is out to address this. That way none of the steering & other stuff down there get in the way. I have never tried to pull the pulley in the Jeep. I also have never bent a pulley. I do use a lot of penetrating fluid for days or weeks before I remove the pulley. Deep Creep seems to work well as does a lot of other fluids. I have had success with CRC-556, liquid wrench, Starrett penetrating fluid, Mouse Milk, many others & a home made mix of 50/50 ATF & acetone. The mix works well, but I find it a tad messy & the acetone evaporates quite quickly. OTOH, I live in the high desert. It can be very dry here. Thus, YMMV.

I suspect that the leak from the timing chain cover is a gasket. IIRC, On these engines the front plate that the engine mounts are on is between the timing chain cover & the engine block. If so, there is a gasket on both sides of the front plate. Either or, (most likely), both of them will be bad. To replace both gaskets, one needs to hold the engine block up with a jack & or cribbing. Doing this can be a real PITAxle.

When replacing the gaskets be sure to straighten the timing chain cover. The holes the bolts go through often pull in towards the block or the front plate. If they are not flat with the rest of the gasket surface, they will hold the timing chain cover away from the gasket & it will leak. You do not want that to happen. I use a press & a straight block of steel for this. Others have used two blocks of steel & a largish hammer. A 20 lb hammer is a bit too much but a 12 oz hammer is way to small.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 6:23pm
Engine  has been overhauled recently by someone really well known, claims gasket dried up but it only at one spot, leaking at one spot....makes no sense.  I shouldn't be doing this or going thru this when I paid a lot of money and I mean a lot of money.  I tried to take the pulley off while on the engine but it's not coming off, pulley is bent abit.  Someone has said about steering bell crank is in the way and yes it is, I even took off all the steering linkages.  I probably have to buy a new double pulley.  KW has two kind, one is cheap and other one is made in USA but it's $160.  Has anyone bought US made, made in north America is always good in my opinion.  It is such a headache to deal with leaky stuff and I hate it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 3:40am
Originally posted by DeepVeer DeepVeer wrote:

Hi all,

I've got the crank pulley but off but pulley won't come off,.it's double grove pulley.  Do I need a puller if do what type of puller ...pic would be better.  The reason I have to take the pulley of b/c timing chain cover is leaking.  Its need rebuilt engine but I can't get the thing off.  Any suggestions?  Thanks 

Underlining mine.

This is why I thought it needed rebuilt.

Now "Engine  has been overhauled recently by someone really well known"?

This changes things a bit. I might pull the engine anyway but I can see that most folks would not want to. No, I do not want to know who overhauled said engine. That is none of my business.

I agree that it should not be leaking. However, how long the overhauled engine has sat idle can be an issue. This is especially true when referring to "dried up gaskets, that and the clime where the engine was stored. 

Now we need a definition of terms. What is meant by "recently", two weeks, two months, two years, twenty years?

The only advise I could give right now is soaking it with penetrating fluid & using an appropriate puller. You might heat the pulley with a propane or acetylene torch. Not red hot, nor just warm, somewhere closer to red hot though. Penetrating fluid, heat, & pressure from the puller should get it off. Any time you are near the Jeep, shoot the pulley with your favorite Penetrating fluid. Leave the puller on & tight. I have had a tight pulley pop off during the night when I had applied penetrating fluid & left the puller on tight overnight. It can not hurt the pulley or the engine. Pets might be another story though.  

Edited by cpt logger - 06 June 2023 at 3:41am
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 4:19am
Thanks, I will soak it up then try again.  
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 6:46am
I would think that if it was recently rebuilt the pulley would come off with minimal effort. Unless a sealer of some sort was applied to the crank when they reassembled it. 
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 4:44am
Originally posted by Hamhog Hamhog wrote:

I would think that if it was recently rebuilt the pulley would come off with minimal effort. Unless a sealer of some sort was applied to the crank when they reassembled it. 

One might think that. It seems logical. However, if the rear hubs have just been reinstalled on the tapered axles, they are just as tough to get off as they have always been, unless some form of anti-seize has been applied to the taper. Sometimes even that does not help. The pulley is very similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply