Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crank Shaft Oil Seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YXG448 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank Shaft Oil Seal
    Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 6:39am
I have a large amount of oil coming out around the bottom of the bell housing after a reasonably short run. I've got the gearbox out and that seems OK so have a horrid feeling its the crank shaft oil seal, although I've not removed the clutch/flywheel yet.
So, 2 questions - any advice as to what replacement oil seal to use as I have seen there are some out there which are not very good (I probably already have one of these!)
And, has anyone ever tried replacing this seal with the engine still in the vehicle?
Thanks, Bill
Old Gits Rally Team
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 9:31am
You say a large amount, doesn't sound good.

I did replace the seal with the engine in place. Did not come out well. I used the Best seal. My crank was worn too much for it to work. The leak was worse than the seal I had. I tried a Crown seal and the fit was horrible. I used a two piece seal, sorry I don't recall the brand, that resembled the original seal and tolerated it until rebuild.

You didn't mention what engine and year you have. That may help with identifying which seal you may have.

Do a search on rear main seal replacement. There's a lot of info available.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
YXG448 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YXG448 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 12:35pm
Thanks for the info, mine is a 1946 jeep, but no idea if the engine is original. At least I know it's possible to replace seal onsite so may give it a go!

Old Gits Rally Team
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2022 at 3:41pm
Look for a tool called a "Sneaky Pete". Relatively inexpensive, and widely available. The kit has provisions for removal and installation.

I have changed rear main seals without removing the engine, or flywheel, in a number of vehicles. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it can be difficult depending on what sealant may have been used previously. 

Be very careful when you remove the rear main bearing cap. Keep it clean, and try not to disturb the bearing inserts more than to wipe them clean. Lubricate the bearing surfaces on install.

The L134 engine would have had a rope type seal originally, but a good quality modern seal is easier to install with the engine in the vehicle.

I haven't bought a lot of parts from Joes Motor Pool, but what I have were of good quality.

They list the rear main seal at a reasonable price.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
YXG448 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YXG448 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2022 at 5:29pm
Thanks for the info. I think I may have sorted the problem with a replacement sump gasket, but won't know for sure until I get it all back together - I've got the gearbox out and flywheel off...
I k of Joe's motor pool and will be going there on Monday to pick up some bits as I live in Somerset, so not far away.
If it turns out I've not fixed the leak I will try your method.
Many thanks for your help..
Old Gits Rally Team
 Post Reply Post Reply