Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crankshaft differences?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crankshaft differences?
    Posted: 22 Nov. 2008 at 5:20pm
Well, here we go again.  Another parts conundrum!  I've got 2 different, early, integral counter weighted, crankshafts.

This one from my '46, engine # 16634:

This one out of a '47 engine, #108211:

Notice the rectangular bosses on the throws of the '47 crank.  My '46 crank doesn't have these, but the throw & counterweight forgings are just a little bit beefier.

The '47 crank has a casting number "638121" (same as the Willys part number), as well as a "W-O 56" casting.  The '46 crank has neither, but has other alpha-numeric casting identifiers.

Now it gets confusing.  The '47 crank came out of engine #108211, which is well beyond the change to bolt-on counter weight cranks!  It is a 641087 block casting w/gear drive cam, but the crank nose is oil drilled for a chain sprocket, as would be expected for a non-counter weight chain drive crank.

So the question is:  what kind of crankshaft have you all found?  Does anyone have one like the first photo?

Sean

Edited by sean - 28 Mar. 2009 at 2:37pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2008 at 4:13pm
Here's #53483......

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2008 at 4:20pm
the crankshaft in the 641087 block stamped "special" that i posted last year has a crank like #1 photo...a friend of mine had that engine redone for his 3A, and the machine shop told him that occasionally Willys would pull engines from the assembly line (engine assembly) and "test" different procedures, one being the micro balancing of the rotating assemblies.... the crank in the engine i mentioned only had 2 very slight indent drilled weight reliefs in the whole crank....

i think Willys was looking for a smoother rotating assembly for longer life....jm2c's..low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2008 at 4:51pm
Thanks guys!  I think we have another case of Willys either using more than 1 supplier, or changing the part configuration while retaining the same part number.

Roc, I did some looking around on the Gee after posting this.  Photos I found of MB crankshafts look like ours.

Low, my '46 crankshaft has been balanced (and so has Rocs').  You can see the grinds on the throw forgings:

The manuals do say that they were balanced, both statically and dynamically, so I don't think there's anything "special" about this balancing.

Interesting that we've both found 641087 blocks w/non-counter weight cranks though.  That's well beyond the supposed changeover date, and the change was supposed to make for better balancing!

The 2nd crank, w/638121 casting number is NOT balanced!

Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply