Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crankshaft Pulley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crankshaft Pulley
    Posted: 03 Oct. 2022 at 10:47am
Hi Folks.

I have a crankshaft pulley that has got some wobble to it and is making quite a noise, so
I was planning on just replacing.

I've ordered up a new one and was just wondering if there is anything to be aware/mindful of
when removing the nut from the crankshaft?  Right hand thread, recommended tool, etc?

Kind regards -CK
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2022 at 9:01pm
Has it been this way for a while, or did it just start to wobble & make noise? If it just started, you may have some serious issues. A broken crankshaft comes to mind.

Removal & replacement is pretty much straightforward. Just be aware that the front main seal may be damaged. This is much more likely if the center section of the pulley is wobbling. If the pulley is bent, but the center section is not wobbling, you might get by using the old seal. I would try that first. It can be a big PITA to replace the front seal.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Carbinekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2022 at 10:37am
Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I have owned the '47 CJ2A for almost exactly a year now.

When it first came to me I noticed that the pulley looked to have a slight wobble 
when running.  It did not seem loose to me though.  Now a year later, I can definitely
see a significant amount more wiggle and it started making a clicking noise when running.

That's what brought my attention to the area.  I am almost certain the click noise is 
coming from the pulley.  As soon as I receive the replacement pulley, I will remove the old 
one and take a look.

So there is no issue with popping an impact wrench on that nut and cranking it hard to 
remove it?  Looks like it has been on there a long while.

Kind regards -CK
CJ2A60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2022 at 12:13pm
Before you go any further, have you checked the end-play of the crankshaft?

So there is no issue with popping an impact wrench on that nut and cranking it hard to 
remove it?

I would never use an impact wrench on any nut that has a critical seal, like the front seal, associated with it. (In fact, I would never use an impact wrench on a moving motor part, period.) If you've already put 60 or so ft. lbs. of torque on it, and it hasn't moved, try penetrating oil and a little heat. If those don't work, come back here and ask advice from others who have more experience than I.

But the next thing I would do is check the endplay.

Edited by CJ2A60 - 04 Oct. 2022 at 12:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2022 at 1:22pm
Ok thanks I will look into checking the end play.

Most of the work on this vehicle is new learning experience for me, so I really appreciate 
the suggestions.  And apologize for what may seem like silly questions.

So oil and a little heat to loosen that nut.  And how do you stop the shaft from turning so as
to be able to torque on the nut?  That's the only reason I was thinking impact wrench, as I 
couldn't see how putting a torque wrench on it would work.

Kind regards -KC
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2022 at 5:44pm
Hi Carbine Kid,
Do you have a copy of the Willys Universal Service Manual?

Look at paragraph D-11 on page 30 and paragraph D-88 on page 49. There's nothing complicated about removing the nut.

I hope you know that "the shaft" you're talking about is the crankshaft? And it has the the connecting rods and pistons attached to it?

As long as you don't go crazy with some gorilla humongous impact wrench to break it loose, I see no issue with using one to remove the nut, so long as the threads aren't boogered up.
After you get the pulley off, if the oil seal in the timing cover looks bad or is leaking it's fairly easy to put in a new one (yes, you have to remove the timing cover to do it).

And you can always follow the paragraph D-88 install instructions in reverse and use the wood block to brace the crank in the removal direction.

The manual also tells you how to check end play (paragraph D-75 on page 46).

Better watch out for mission creep or you'll end up doing a complete engine rebuild.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 04 Oct. 2022 at 6:17pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2022 at 11:14pm
When you get the pulley off, look at it closely for cracks. A wobbling pulley with a clicking noise is typical with cracked pulleys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2022 at 1:00am
Thanks Ron D, yes I do have that service manual.  It has been very helpful along the way
for sure.  Sometimes I do find it lacks a little in detailing some procedures though.  Particularly
when reading it from an amateurs perspective :)

Although I am not really familiar with the inner workings of engines, I can certainly imagine that
this crankshaft is a critical component and not to be messed with before doing your homework.

I will use the advice given and do my best to tackle this hiccup, in the long list of hiccups.

As you mention, the rabbit hole factor is very high, so just never know where things may lead!

But never the less it sure is an enjoyable new hobby.  Will give an update with progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2022 at 1:01am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

When you get the pulley off, look at it closely for cracks. A wobbling pulley with a clicking noise is typical with cracked pulleys.

Thanks. Will do!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2022 at 8:40am
Manuals - you could try the military manuals for the vehicle. Sometimes they have a little more detail for the inexperienced kids they get in the service. 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2022 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Jeff J Jeff J wrote:

Manuals - you could try the military manuals for the vehicle. Sometimes they have a little more detail for the inexperienced kids they get in the service. 

Yes, the military manuals are pretty good --- because Willys wrote them too.
And don't underestimate military kids --- they've all been to mechanics school and work under the supervision of their Sergeants. Smile

Edited by Ron D - 05 Oct. 2022 at 10:41am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2022 at 11:16am
I spent 20 years as a mechanic in the military training kids. I know exactly what to expect. It takes a couple of years before most are worth having on staff and they only get that way because they are forced. Failure to obey lawful orders carries some pretty stiff penalties. 

I don’t know why parents can’t teach responsibility before turning them loose on the world but most can’t seem to function without being told at least weekly what their job is… some of them it is daily. I have 3 working for me now in one of the easiest jobs out there… dockhand. All three seem like good intelligent young men. 1 must be told daily what must be done. 1 is weekly and the last one listened and adapted when I took the manager position on Labor Day weekend even though the previous manager wasn’t making them do anything. 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2022 at 11:35am
Yup, agree. People (kids and adults) are only as good as their supervisor.
I did 25 years in the Marines, electronics maintenance.
It took me a couple of years to figure it out.

I suspect kids today aren't really that much different than 20, 200, or 2000 years ago.
It's the adults making excuses for them that's the problem.

Edited by Ron D - 05 Oct. 2022 at 1:08pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply