Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Creeper recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creeper recommendations
    Posted: 26 July 2018 at 4:04am
  My old neck gets really sore after a short time on my creeper when under the Jeep.
  Do you have any recommendations for comfortable creepers, maybe one's with adjustable head rests.
  My current creeper is flat with a little cushioning....
Thanks, David
Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 12:59pm
Blanket and pillow from your wife's couch.
Really though I dont know.  My neighbor gave me one, I used it once and then and never used it again.  I lost 4" laying on top of it and got stuck in the concrete cracks.  I just used an old blanket if I feel up to it, otherwise I just scooch under.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 1:12pm
Roll up a small rug (runner?) to go under your neck.
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 1:40pm
I just use the free moving pads from Harbor freight.  If I need a headrest, I just roll one up. I don't like losing clearance by using a creeper, and the jeep is so small, I don't need to move very far to be under it.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 4:17pm
I also don't like a creeper.  I was cleaning up the barn a little the other day and my wife asked me if I was throwing my creeper in the trash,  after I said yes she asked if I knew anybody that would want it, I said I couldn't think of anybody that would want one.   I don't like the idea of pulling on a wrench and you move and the wrench doesn'tShocked
  Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 4:20pm
Cardboard.. cheap (thrifty) and disposable..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 4:26pm
My daughter and wife gave me a new creeper for father's day.  Castor mount broke after a short time and a few uses.  Went back to Dad's board and cushion "Mechanic's Creeper".  Old style castors work much better too.  When I'm not on that creeper, I always have cardboard stashed to keep off the concrete floor.  Sorry, not much help for the comfort question.  My point is, if you are choosing a new creeper, pay attention to the quality as much as the comfort level.

Ps.  The snoring gives away the fact that you are just napping on the creeper.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 4:45pm
Thanks for suggestions. 
Will try rolled rug and cardboard.
Switching from military style exhaust to CJ2A style ( so I can add sidesteps for wife to be able to get in Jeep).

Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Cardboard.. cheap (thrifty) and disposable..

I concur, large piece of cardboard with carpet pad under it. You can slide around fairly good on the cardboard.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 6:40pm
I personally like cardboard because anytime I work under my jeep it creates a huge mess of gear oil-caked dirt that goes everywhere. Cardboard doubles as a creeper and protection for my floor. 
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I also don't like a creeper.  I was cleaning up the barn a little the other day and my wife asked me if I was throwing my creeper in the trash,  after I said yes she asked if I knew anybody that would want it, I said I couldn't think of anybody that would want one.   I don't like the idea of pulling on a wrench and you move and the wrench doesn'tShocked
  Jim

That happened to me the other day putting a serpentine belt on my wifes car, I put the breaker bar on the belt tensioner and rolled across the garage floor!  LOL
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 12:52am
I bought my creeper in 1984 from a local auto/sporting goods store. I actually use it often. in my younger years my hair would get caught under the wheels!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 4:48am
There are some creepers made that can get you really low to the ground.  The "Bone" one is one of them.  You have four tires on the ground you can push against with your feet to keep you in place.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 27 July 2018 at 4:50am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 5:03am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I bought my creeper in 1984 from a local auto/sporting goods store. I actually use it often. in my younger years my hair would get caught under the wheels!

Now that is funny!

In my youth, I was a hippy. Well, at least I had long hair. It was just below shoulder length, & a longer beard. I always wore a "watch cap" while wrenching on anything. One day the cap got pulled off underneath an old Peterbuilt. Then, you guessed it, my hair got tangled up in the creeper wheel! Man that hurt.

It did not help that I was working alone with no one coming by for at least ten hours, if then. So, I sucked it up & skidded out from under there pulling a fair sized lock of my wonderful red hair out of my scalp very slowly. I tried it fast, ouch, no way I could do that twice! 

I cut the rest of the tangled mess off of my head with a pair of pinking shears. I have no idea why we had pinking shears in a diesel shop. No scissors, just the pinking shears. Weird. After I cussed the creeper & freed up the wheel, I finished the job. By that time the blood had clotted. It was late Sunday morning by then & I was due to work Monday morning. I called the boss & took Monday & half of Tuesday off without telling him why.

Tuesday morning, I was at the barber, which is another story. A much funnier one.

When I got to work that afternoon, no one recognized me with short hair & no beard. Although, they had wondered if I was still alive after seeing the pool of blood under the Peterbuilt. 

Suffice it to say, my hair has been fairly short ever since that event. Never again. 

These days, I use cardboard, or old carpet. I own a creeper, I just never use it. Too much hassle.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 6:56pm
One of the mistakes I see often is that people do not lift the vehicle high enough to work under. Get yourself a good jack with some real lift, and some good tall jackstands, and put the jeep up high enough so you can get your work out of your face, and straighten your arms some. Then you'll have room for a creeper and will appreciate one. The 25 years I was a Chevrolet Tech, we only had one lift in the shop, an antique that the lube boy used. I learned the best ways (for me) to use a jack and stands, and a creeper. 
  Now I have a lift in my shop, and the creeper doesn't get used much anymore. I still use it for quick jobs on the driveway, but getting down on it and up off it is getting rough.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 7:13pm
I use wheel dollies on all 4 wheels when working on the Jeep. Adds a lot of clearance and makes the Jeep very easy to move around.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 8:18pm
I am spoiled by a lift as well, but I like to have a creeper handy and use it from time to time.

I think they're especially helpful when you need to go back and forth under the vehicle a few times.

I've also taken my share of afternoon naps in the quiet solitude of an under-vehicle creeper cot.

The HF creeper is sturdy, cheap and comfortable.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 8:23pm
I'm sort of like cpt logger. I was over at my neighbors house and he had a F350 4X4 with the goofy twin mass flywheel. It was not one of Fords better ideas. I'm down there and my hair is getting caught by a caster also. I didn't loose any hair but Mike had a goofy Lab that would be mad because we were out there and we were not throwing the ball for her. She would pick up tools and drop them out in the yard. She would also chomp down on my pony tail and try to drag me out from under the truck. My creeper was over there for a bit of time as well as my motorcycle jack. His son still has it and since I no longer have any bikes I don't need it. I actually am trying to keep this short. Mike had to pull the transmission and transfer case 3 times and I was there on my creeper for most of it. The first time was to get rid of the twin mass flywheel and then his son was driving the truck and we gat a call because the truck wouldn't move. Tow it in and we are down there pulling the gear boxes. The driven disk is coating the inside of the bell housing. He never would tell us how he did it. Mike got things back together and he went to try the clutch, nothing so he looked over at the dog house and the release bearing is sitting there on the roof. I got off of work and he was down there pulling the gear boxes out for the 3rd time. I rolled under and we got things back in by that evening.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>