Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Creeper recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 5:15pm

Sunday, my dad told me he had just backed over his creeper and broke off one of the wheels. He can have mine.
   I have not used a creeper since the early 80's because i spent more time getting my over-all-collar out from under the wheels, and i was constantly running up against something or running over the trouble-light Cord.
    Cardboard is so "user-friendly" for us-guys and soft for the knees while kneeling-down onto it.

I keep an assortment of wood blocks within reach and stuff those under my head for long-duration isometric-exercises. (long stubborn threads)

Fast forward from 1971 to 2015, i began growing my hair out 2-years ahead of retirement, and I figured I couldn't get fired, so today, 3-years-plus later, i am happily retired, and looking like a grey-haired Daniel Boone.
_ _ _ _ and happier than an Clam at high-tide.
   (and still plagued by a Solex-clone with crappy idle _ _ go figure)

I have my wife keep some cardboard in the back of her Suburban to use as a good disposable carpet protector.
   I was encouraged with how many of us are using cardboard.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 5:56pm
I can't really use a creeper because I'm either on gravel or grass. I used a full roll of paper towels under my head just now- worked great!
Rick Estes
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 9:41pm
We have been using foam snow sleds for years a creepers.  You have so skooch them around but they work great on cement, 115 degree asphalt, gravel and on the trail instead of laying in the mud, rocks or wet grass.  They also save your knees if you have to kneel down to change a tire.

They are cheap and fit behind the rear seat of the Cj2a.  There is one in this picture behind the rear seat.

Edited by Stev - 29 Aug. 2018 at 1:13am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 10:13pm
Bought a Willys wagon couple of weeks ago. As I was leaving, the PO asked if I wanted a creeper. Said "sure" (already had one) but the creeper he was offering was a "Jeepers Creeper, CJ Model. Said he bought it at a flea market in Missouri (he was West of StL). Don't know what to do with it but....
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 11:21pm
I've had a creeper for well over 20 years and use it often changing oil and such. The plastic wheels finally began coming apart so the family bought me a new Craftsman replacement one christmas (simular design but cheaper wheels) and I've been using it for a little over a year.

works good on concrete... 

Would like to try a bone type or simular design.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used one.

Edited by 48cj2a - 28 Aug. 2018 at 11:41pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 11:27pm
Just an FYI.....creeper wheels are available at most NAPA (or the like) auto parts store....no need to buy a whole new creeper if you have one you already like.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 11:47pm
Try pricing good replacement wheels or at lease ones that will work with minor modification...went to probably a half dozen stores in the area that carry them and about choked since I need 6.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 11:53pm
Or just go to a hardware store. Part of an old job of mine was to find stuff. They figured out that I probably knew where things were as well as them.
uncamonkey
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 2:01am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Try pricing good replacement wheels or at lease ones that will work with minor modification...went to probably a half dozen stores in the area that carry them and about choked since I need 6.

That's true Art....I've got that same creeper.

Sorry , but I was referring to the 'old Style' creeper wheels that sort of pivot around a central axis. I have an older wooden creeper that I fixed the wheels on...I didn't have to replace all of them.

Yours (and my Craftsman ) are more akin to castor wheels.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 3:59am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Would like to try a bone type or simular design.

I have had this one for as long as I can remember.   Also a Christmas present.   It has been subjected to a lot of use and abuse . . . holding up well.

I only wish it had a built-in head-rest . . instead of having to look for a big towel to roll up,  or other.

Also,  (probably true of all creepers),  I wish there was an easy way to lock the wheels.   Creepers are great for rolling around looking at things,  or light wrenching.    But if hard-wrenching, or tugging/pushing etc.  - >  then the creeper has to come out, and a piece of cardboard etc has to be found.
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 4:40pm
I picked up one of those with steel casters, an old Motomaster wood creeper for $20 at an antique store! Two of the casters were stuck, but with a bit of elbow grease and 3 in1 oil I can shot across the whole length of the garage. Tongue  Too bad all my oil changes are out in the gravel driveway.Smile 
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 6:26pm
  I worked 22 years in a Chevrolet dealership in a very old building, and there were no lifts, save one old two-post in-ground hoist for the lube-kid to use. A creeper was a very necessary piece of equipment. The floor was very rough. When I hired on, the service manager told me, "You supply your own drop light and we'll supply replacement bulbs. You supply your own creeper and we'll supply replacement wheels".  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 2:06am
I have a 4 post lift. But, when I clean the oil off the bottom of my 41 Piper Cub I use a creeper. If I could get it on the lift, I would.

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 2:14am
Years ago in West Virginia I saw a lot of Hillbilly lifts. Since there is no level ground you just stick two railroad ties in the low ground as posts and ramp over to them from the high ground with some sawmill oak planks.

In the flat lands I hear they dug holes and laid planks over them.

How about the Hillbilly engine hoist? Stout limb on an Oak Tree. Or, three long pipes spread like a tee-pee with a chain around the top. The tech savvy guys used a pig pole on a Ford 8N tractor.

Ralph
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12