Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-18 sliding gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-18 sliding gear
    Posted: 03 July 2018 at 4:11pm
Helping a buddy with the transfer case from his M53A1... We have a sliding gear that's stuck.
He is not doing a complete rebuild (he only has 2 weeks here, then has to go back to the UK while the jeep stays in my barn), we just want, at this point, to be able to get to the point where the jeep can drive itself back to the barn where it will wait for him till next year.

So, we need to free up the sliding gear. Everything else is already free. It's not in great shape, there was water in the tx/tc but again, we just want to see it move. We will be rebuilding the drive train at some point but later.

What are your favorite tricks?

Afraid to shatter the gear if we bang too hard on it...
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 6:40pm
Is the sliding gear frozen in the neutral position? If not, you should be able to drive it under its own power...assuming there aren't other gear issues.  

The shift rod might be what is seized.  Not sure how you could free that up without removal.  

I guess I would be for hammering on the gear with a dead-blow to see it you can get some gear movement.  The gear is pretty tough.  I doubt you could break it...unless you use a sledge hammer.

Edit:  I wonder if the detent balls are seized up enough to not let the shift lever move.  You could try popping them out.

Edited by athawk11 - 03 July 2018 at 6:42pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 8:43pm
The shift lever moves. I can kinda wiggle it and see the movement on the fork.

The gear is stuck in neutral.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 2:25am
Are the teeth positioned to mesh with one of the other gears?  Does it help to rotate the gears?

Isn't an M53A1 a 5-ton 6x6 truck?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 2:36am
Oops correction m38a1, 53 is the year.

We did some heat, a punch and a hammer and worked it loose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 2:57am
I was gonna guess M-38A1, but every time I do that, I find I'm wrong.
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 3:00am
Great, now I want a 6x6 truck...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 3:03am
I do too.  I was at the MVPA show in Ohio in '06 and someone had a really nice Deuce for sale for only $5800 but I just couldn't justify it.  Darn it!  Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply