Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daddy's Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2019 at 5:42pm
Thanks to all for those excellent tips.  I do have that Universal Jeep Service Manual downloaded to my computer.  Some kind person added that to the forum some time back.  And I have seen it for sale for around $40.  It's 281 pages, so I likely will only print what is necessary.  I will post more photos as I go along.  Today, I must take care of some of my garden harvest.  15 pounds of beets await pickling in my kitchen!Tongue
Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 4:58am
Here are a few photos, so you can see the progress.  More will come, soon, with questions.

Edited by TeddieG - 12 Aug. 2019 at 5:05am
Teddie
CJ2A '47
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 2:28am
Originally posted by TeddieG TeddieG wrote:

Looks like someone wanted to pull the tranny/Xfer case and couldn't get the levers off. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 4:59am
LOL!  Hubby was taking a closer look at that, today, and wondering what was up.  Well, who knows??  Did you notice the special threaded plumbing pipe stuck on the one shift lever?  That is another mystery.  I know that Daddy never did anything to this jeep except drive it around at about 25 mph and put gas in it.  Significant work will need to be done everywhere, and that includes the body.  I worked on it for about 2 hours, today and managed to get all the bolts holding it to the frame removed.  I was pooped and forgot to take a photo of the small bowl of nuts and bolts.  Some, just were non existent.  A couple of others were what I call danglers.  Whatever they were bolted to is rusted away.  There are a couple like that in hat channels.  The last one to come out was the bolt in the center that holds down seat belts.  The configuration of oversize nuts and washers to space out that long bolt was amazing.  I actually had to get on the creeper to remove that one.  Well, I got the nut off, but the bolt remained.  Hubby stuck his claw hammer under it, and popped it out. Smile  All of the spacers fell to the floor.  He hauled out his farmer's jack and cranked up the passenger side--everything was loose.  Then he cranked up the driver's side.  All was loose over there, too.  I can't believe I found everything holding it down.  There were no bolts holding the rear end down.  We were chatting with friends this afternoon, and I was telling them about my project.  He was wondering who I was, and what I did with his wife.  LOL  He may be taking up decoupage or knitting, as someone in the family is supposed to do that.  I can loan him my Modpodge and knitting needles until I have a project in that direction.  Quite a few more things need to be disconnected from the body before we can remove it.  At some point, we will retrieve his engine lift from another location and rig up some straps to do that.  Steering wheel is the most ominous object at this point.  The wheel will need to be replaced, but I don't want to cut it off.  It has to come off at some point, or I have to replace the entire shaft.  We will start soaking it in "stuff" tomorrow to increase our chances of success.  
Teddie
CJ2A '47
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 3:56am
We retrieved the engine lift and some jack stands from another location, today, and put them in the shop.  We had some time, so hubby put the sawzall to work again.  The steering wheel is gone.  Hopefully, we will eventually get the remains of it off the column.  It's small enough, now, to pass through the hole in the floor.  Then, it was time for the crummy Bubba rollbar to get removed.  Act 2 for the sawzall.  I held it at the top while the cutting was being done.  It was heavy!  While I was working on something else, I looked up to see hubby with a large crowbar going after the Bubba gas tank.  For the longest we thought that it was tack welded to the floor, so we have sort of been dancing around it.  That was not tack welding.  It was dirt.  Once it was sort of loose, I got underneath to pull the gas line back toward the tank.  It had been zip tied at some point in about three places which I had to cut off.  We finally got all of the line free, and he pulled the tank out.  It was a bit stubborn.  The Bubba tank had the gas line going directly down through the floor instead of coming off the top like the other tanks that I have seen.  Once the tank was out, I could see that half of New Mexico was under it.  I think that we made progress, today, if demolition and disassembly can be called progress.  

Teddie
CJ2A '47
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 5:02am
Originally posted by TeddieG TeddieG wrote:

The Bubba tank had the gas line going directly down through the floor instead of coming off the top like the other tanks that I have seen.   

Just FYI, on these things the original fuel tank does have the fuel coming out the bottom of the tank. 

If you look at this listing from Kaiser Willys and look at the 3d picture of the tank you can see two bungs in the bottom of the tank. On is a drain plug, and one is the fuel feed. Inside the tank there is a  pickup tube that is an upside down J.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/fuel/tanks/steel-fuel-gas-tank-fits-46-64-cj-2a-3a-3b
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 6:09am
Wow, Stan, thanks for that information.  I do plan to order a new one, so I would have been surprised when I got it.  Tongue  I know nothing about gas tanks, but I'm thinking that the Bubba tank had no way to send info to a gauge to determine fuel level.  It was quite heavy, so there is likely about 2 gals. of murky fuel still in there.  A fuel gauge is a convenience item.  

Teddie
CJ2A '47
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 3:21pm
Keep up the good work, pictures and commentary.   Your story keeps me coming back for more.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2019 at 7:10pm
We are still working away on the jeep.  We were down there for four hours yesterday, and things are happening.  On Wednesday, we started to hoist the tub, but the chains were starting to bend it in.  It was time to stop and do more research.  Anyway, the tub is off.  Other than cutting off the steering wheel, we decided after watching some videos, to remove the steering box.  That worked!  We rolled the frame and motor out to the street and power washed it some more.  It's still filthy.  Now, I have to decide how far I want to dig into this.  Hubby wants to pull out the engine etc. and get down to bare frame.  He had three of the tires and rims off when we left the shop, yesterday.  The rear one on the driver's side is not budging even with an impact wrench.  Any thoughts on that, before we take a torch to it?
Up it goes.

Out in the street.  Up on jack stands.

Teddie
CJ2A '47
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2019 at 7:24pm
Wheel studs on the left side were originally left hand thread. Could that be the problem?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Wheel studs on the left side were originally left hand thread. Could that be the problem?

The studs will frequently have an "L" on the end of them, and I think the nuts will have a tick/notch midway up the corner/edges...

They won't come off? Stop tightening them WinkLOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2019 at 12:12am
I actually told Hubby that I had read that wheels on the left hand side had left hand threads, because of centrifugal force or something like that.  He ignored me.  So, we headed right to the shop after lunch, and he said that he would have another go at it.  They came right off!!  I did a silent "I told you so."  I got down and cleaned off the studs, and they do have the L's on them.  I spent about two hours chiseling off grime, and it looks sort of better.  I love this forum!!!

It's off!

The little L's

Teddie
CJ2A '47
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2019 at 12:58am
Thumbs UpLOLLOL
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2019 at 2:08am
So the driver's side front lugs were right-hand threads instead of the original left-hand?  That's kinda annoying.  Oh, and when you go to put the new steering wheel on, don't forget to liberally apply anti-seize to the splines so the next time the wheel comes off it will...come off.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 17 Aug. 2019 at 2:10am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2019 at 2:24am
Yep, the left front came off just like the ones on the right.  The nuts are a couple of different sizes on the outside, and one was missing on front left.  I will be sure to get them all the same size when I redo.  And, yes, anti seize is on my shopping list!  
I am thinking, now, about how I want to store/mount the engine when we pull it.  We have been offered a standard engine stand, but I don't know if we will go that direction.  Tips and suggestions for that will be appreciated.  
Teddie
CJ2A '47
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2019 at 5:43pm
Somewhere there's a drawing of an engine stand made from  2x4's and 2x2's. Here's a couple pics of mine. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2019 at 6:38pm
Before you make one, double check that it will work by measuring the width of your oil pan. I'm pretty sure this is for the Willys, but I made one for my Kohler single too and it's possible this is for that.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 3:43am
Interesting that only 1 had Left hand thread studs, not not surprising since swapping a front hub is not hard at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>