Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 18 disc emergency brake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2020 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Mechanical. Has separate calipers for brakes. 
Jay
Must depend on the year.  The ones I see on Ebay are $199.

This part I posted earlier is a standard item for Vermeer.  Looks like it's used on a trencher.  They have them in stock and are $136, loaded with pads, at your friendly Vermeer dealer.  Can't buy them anywhere else.  The manufacturer, Ausco, wouldn't sell you one even if they did have it in stock.

This outfit is local to me being just a handful of miles down the road.  Can't get them to answer the phone.  Dropped them an email and will report back.

A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2020 at 2:47am
Another possibility would be the late 70's-80's Subaru calipers that have a built in mechanical parking brake.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2020 at 12:24pm
You may want to look in to a late style Subaru or VW rear caliper that has the electric parking brake. They use a momentary contact switch and are very strong. The ease of three wires and a strong brake sure make them seem like a good idea.
Jay

redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2020 at 1:21am
Here is your rotor, I have been working on the parking brake idea for a year, got a mock up one done for a transfer case I had sitting around and it worked ok.  On the jeep the caliper would not hold the jeep on any kind of incline.  I think the electronic caliper is the way to go.  The rotor had to be sanded just a touch in the center to fit on the rear of the D18.  I sanded mine with a spindle sander with 80 grit sleeves and it took all of five minutes to get it to size.  One other modification I had to make was to the holes, I welded them closed, then redrilled new holes to fit the yoke.  And the next question will be did I rebalance it,  No because it is so small.  I have had the disc in place without a caliper that works for one year with no vibrations.

Don't spend your money on this one it will not work, I know for a fact!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-120-2374

Edited by redrunner - 26 Apr. 2020 at 1:36am
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2020 at 2:54am
Just put a Line Lock on it and call it good....(yes, I know they say you aren't supposed to use them for emergency brakes but I bet they will still sell you one for that)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by redrunner redrunner wrote:

Here is your rotor, I have been working on the parking brake idea for a year, got a mock up one done for a transfer case I had sitting around and it worked ok.  On the jeep the caliper would not hold the jeep on any kind of incline.  I think the electronic caliper is the way to go.  The rotor had to be sanded just a touch in the center to fit on the rear of the D18.  I sanded mine with a spindle sander with 80 grit sleeves and it took all of five minutes to get it to size.  One other modification I had to make was to the holes, I welded them closed, then redrilled new holes to fit the yoke.  And the next question will be did I rebalance it,  No because it is so small.  I have had the disc in place without a caliper that works for one year with no vibrations.

Don't spend your money on this one it will not work, I know for a fact!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-120-2374
Interesting.  Allpro seems to be using the same caliper as the other kit builders but $40 more than TSM charges for it.  The Allpro rotor is way better priced though at $80 less than TSM's.

Thanks for guinea pigging that Wilwood caliper.  That's good to know it shouldn't be considered.  The other Wilwood mechanical calipers require too large a diameter rotor to work as a transfer case parking brake.

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Just put a Line Lock on it and call it good....(yes, I know they say you aren't supposed to use them for emergency brakes but I bet they will still sell you one for that)

I'm sure a line lock would work as a parking brake but I want a completely mechanical system to use as both emergency and parking brake.

Instagram
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2020 at 4:31pm
I understand.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2020 at 2:57pm
Update:

TSM said they have a very long term backlog on their calipers; two months at least and they weren't hopeful.  Kind of moot at this point since that caliper can be purchased elsewhere.

That said, this is my current #1 candidate for using as the caliper.  About $100 cheaper than the other styles also.  Well, it needs pads so that will add cost.

Instagram
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 1:45am
What is the original application for that caliper?
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 1:53am
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

2016 - 2020 Chevrolet Malibu.  I haven't had one in hand yet and my local Napa would have to order it in.  Rock Auto has them for $27.  I have a concern that it may be a mechanical actuator on a hydraulic caliper or it piggybacks on a hydraulic caliper as I can't find pads for it, or even a reference to them, online.

Instagram
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

2016 - 2020 Chevrolet Malibu.  I haven't had one in hand yet and my local Napa would have to order it in.  Rock Auto has them for $27.  I have a concern that it may be a mechanical actuator on a hydraulic caliper or it piggybacks on a hydraulic caliper as I can't find pads for it, or even a reference to them, online.

It does look to have a bleeder on it. I would guess that it has some hydro in it. 
Jay
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 3:43am
I'm guessing, but with the bleeder, I think it IS the caliper for the regular brakes.  It's the same scenario with the Subaru calipers.  I think these would work better with a cable but I'm going to keep my straight  mechanical linkage and need the actuator moving parallel to the drive line.  The Subaru items will work for my application-just more expensive.
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 3:32pm
I did this very thing for my Nissan Frontier; I converted the output shaft to a fixed yoke (from a slip yoke), used a TSM disc and brake caliper, and fabricated a bracket assembly to tie it all together.  My issue was that the axles I swapped into the truck would not accommodate disc calipers with mechanical parking brake levers.  Had my photobucket account not been bombed out like everyone else's I would link a picture.

Parts Mike's stuff is for an NP205, wrong transfer case.

Calipers with the integrated ratchet cam are nice (like the malibu you posted), you just have to make sure you use it regularly or else the screw drive/ratchet will lock up and eventually stop working.

For extra research material you can look at what folks do when doing rear disc brake conversions; the hot ticket for years was to use Cadillac Eldorado calipers since they swapped in place of standard GM calipers.  Those are really hard to find nowadays and fairly pricey when you do.

In this case the t-case mechanical brake doesn't have to do a lot.  Remember that it gets the same type of torque advantage as the engine by connecting upstream of the rear axle so the holding effect is multiplied by the axle ratio.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:12pm
Any Progress on this?  What rotor are you considering?  It would be great to get a rotor that would be completely above the skid plate (which could be extended).  

I like the idea of a mechanical parking / E-Brake that is not depended on other systems to work.

It would be ideal if the existing cable could be used.

Edited by Stev - 21 July 2020 at 9:20pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12