Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 25 disc brake swap with dana 30 parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Nice write up Seth !
Yes the factory D27 bronze bushing is the same as the later D25’s.
In fact the late D25 spindles and bushings are identical to D27’s.
That said D27 uses a slightly different hub and wider wheel bearings than a D25.

Thanks oldtime! I assumed there were a few slight differences. 

Rick: yes there are definitely ways around it and more than one way to skin a cat. Haha! 🍻 lol…
CaseyWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2023 at 5:08pm
I found two CJ front axles with disc brakes in the salvage yard. I have a 63 utility wagon with the dana 25 closed knuckle axle. I have original 15" x 5 1/2 welded wheels with Bendix brakes. I am thinking I will see if one of my wheels fit on these axles. One axle still had wheels mounted. The wheels were off the other axle, but I think the rotors are the narrow size.

Has anyone tried this with wheels like mine? 

Am I correct that the caliper bracket from the 7/8" rotor set up will NOT fit my dana 25?
CDUB
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2023 at 9:25am
Originally posted by CaseyWillys CaseyWillys wrote:

I found two CJ front axles with disc brakes in the salvage yard. I have a 63 utility wagon with the dana 25 closed knuckle axle. I have original 15" x 5 1/2 welded wheels with Bendix brakes. I am thinking I will see if one of my wheels fit on these axles. One axle still had wheels mounted. The wheels were off the other axle, but I think the rotors are the narrow size.

Has anyone tried this with wheels like mine? 

Am I correct that the caliper bracket from the 7/8" rotor set up will NOT fit my dana 25?

Correct. You need the 1” thick rotors. You can tell easily by looking at the caliper mount. The 7/8 mount is cast into the knuckle….the 1” mount is removable and has the same 6 bolt pattern at the Dana 25/27
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2023 at 7:05pm
My dad came over the other day and we did this same swap to his otherwise completely stock jeep… we used this opportunity to do something I’ve always wanted to do. Brake testing. So we tested his jeep before and after the front disc conversion using Dana 30 parts. Then we put it up against my 2 Jeeps which have slightly different setups. Disclaimer… this video is purely for fun… I’m not suggesting that there’s anything wrong with drum brakes or that anyone has to make any personal decisions based on this video. I’m simply sharing my findings… a lot of people asked why I didn’t test a jeep with 11” drums… the answer is simple. I don’t have access to a jeep with 11” drums. If someone brings me one I’ll test it. 

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 5:14pm
Seth, great job on the Disc-vs.-Drum brake test. Though uninstrumented, the test is quite telling about the effectiveness of even just front discs on a flatfender. I noticed some slight yaw during one of the jeep's braking moment, but the sum total is a win for disc brakes.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 6:55pm
I enjoyed the video too. One of mine only has disc brakes on the front and it surprised me how well it stops on those when I figured it out. The lines to the rear drums were cut and sealed by a previous owner. I haven’t attempted to find out where the discs came from yet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12