Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

..... If someone wants to advise me or debate it, I'm fine with that

...GW has 9" brakes They stop just as good as ANY disk brake conversion.

After repeated usage?

GW and BamBam are at the top of Black Bear and only one is going down, which one are you taking and why?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:12pm
I would take either one with equal confidence.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:16pm
Can we all agree to disagree haha even though this is the disc brake conversion thread.  I guess everybody would agree with me that a 67 charger that weighs 4000 lbs with a Big Block in it that can get up to 140 mph should have disc brakes right??????  Well my Charger doesn't and I wish it did!  Drums no matter what, are no fun at the end of a drag strip at 100 mph grabbing here and there.  Yes they are adjusted well, its just the nature of the beast and  the power "one finger" steering Chrysler used in the 60s.  Yes this is off topic sorry.  Wink
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:21pm
I believe disc brakes are better, and more importantly work way better even when they need to be replaced. I hope my previous comments do not imply differently.

I just feel that fully functional 9" brakes are safe, and are enough nothing more. Worn out brakes whether they are disc or drum, 9" or 11" is another opinion.

Edited by jpet - 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:23pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:21pm

I would take either one with equal confidence.

Well alrighty then.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:58pm
Did someone say they figured out an airbag conversion?

Like I said, in my case (and only in my case), I knew the 9's needed work and wanting the wife to drive so I can selfishly look around more, I decided to start looking and while spending money wanted to keep it original looking and mostly feeling yet get something a little better.  I figured I would be throwing at least $100 at pads, replacing wheel cylinders, turning, etc, if no major issues like replacing a drum, so I figured I was half way there, I might as well try the disc and get a better pedal feel for the wife.  Hopefully, I will accomplished that.  But this is just for me.  Hoping to get everything done and motor broken in so we can make the FCT and meets some of you guys in person.  This site has been very, very helpful and full of friendly and knowledgable guys who are willing to share without the ugliness I've seen in other forums.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

,,,Like I said, in my case (and only in my case), I knew the 9's needed work and wanting the wife to drive so I can selfishly look around more, I decided to start looking and while spending money wanted to keep it original looking and mostly feeling yet get something a little better.  I figured I would be throwing at least $100 at pads, replacing wheel cylinders, turning, etc, if no major issues like replacing a drum, so I figured I was half way there, I might as well try the disc and get a better pedal feel for the wife....
I couldn't agree more.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:27pm
Sorry for kicking off the kerfuffle. 
And especially sorry for sidetracking this excellent thread with tech info for those interested in doing the disc brake conversion on their jeep. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:52pm
I'm going to swap out my MB's stock front drums for disc brakes.  In my case it's because I like to pull a camper trailer.  I was hoping to do it before FCT but don't think it will happen.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 12:32am
Isn't anyone going to mention the reduced unsprung weight and rotating mass and accompanying performance improvement of a disc conversion?  (Just throwing it out there for the sake of conversation)  Wink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 3:47pm
So I'm looking at all this...question for those who have actually done this successfully. What has to be "ground off"? If I use a wheel spacer, so I still have to grind anything? I will be using new wheels, 15" cj5 style. Any idea if this will be a problem?  The brake line connection at the hub, does it have to be relocated to make room for the rotor? BTW... for me, being able to stop is really important.... 🙄
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by usmcpmi usmcpmi wrote:

So I'm looking at all this...question for those who have actually done this successfully. What has to be "ground off"? If I use a wheel spacer, so I still have to grind anything? I will be using new wheels, 15" cj5 style. Any idea if this will be a problem?  The brake line connection at the hub, does it have to be relocated to make room for the rotor? BTW... for me, being able to stop is really important.... 🙄

Just to clarify, since you are mentioning grinding, we are assuming you are talking about the Chevy disc conversion and not the Geo conversion?
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 9:06pm
Yes, I am interested in using the stock master cylinder if possible  (brand new)...and being able to change back to the original configuration down the road if necessary...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 10:11pm
The stock master really is not directly related to the brake conversion, other than it is recommended to get the safety and the correct purportioning valve.  Thus thread has basically been talking about 2 different disc conversions.  One uses Chevy parts and requires grinding of the knuckles and the Geo Tracker which does not.  But there are some very different pro/cons of each.  So which are you talking about?
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 10:30pm
From what I have read on the original posts, the Chevy conversion using the half ton '70's brake system requires something to be ground down. I'm looking for what has to be modified and why. What doesn't fit, and what is keeping it from fitting. If it is the wheel, will wheel spacers correct the issue. 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 12:22am
If you go to page four on this thread you can see somebody had to grind at least the knuckle seal down for the caliper.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 2:06am
I've seen pics that show the flange on the knuckle has to be ground so the floating caliper can slide across the flange.  I seriously dislike single-piston floating calipers.  The points on which they float rust and then they don't float and you only get braking on one side of the disc. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 3:52pm
Good into here for front discs !

Question:   
   Is there a photo showing the difference in caliper size between the two ?

Not knowing, I am thinking the 'tracker' caliper to be smaller than the GM, but puts out satisfactory piston force.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>