Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 25 inner seal question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apdodge69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dana 25 inner seal question
    Posted: 24 July 2021 at 3:51pm
I have a early 46’ 2a, having a leak into the brakes from the housing. I do not see a place for an oil seal in the housing, I have a bushing where the seal goes and it is the bendix style axle shaft. Any help with a diagram or explanation would be great
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 5:01pm
The seals are just outside the Pumpkin in a DANA 25

Not sure how gear oil from the center section could get to the Brakes. Do you have gear oil in your knuckles?

You also need to download a copy of the Service manual

http://48cj2a.com/images/manuals/UniversalServiceManualForJeepVehicles.pdf View Post

Edited by Mark W. - 24 July 2021 at 5:05pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Apdodge69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apdodge69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 3:56pm
Yes, running oil in the knuckles, looked at the diagram and see it calls for a seal on the back of the knuckle where a bushing is located but not enough room for a seal.
And the surface behind the axle splines won’t fit the ID of the seal, but the inner on the seal fits where I believe the seal would go on the outside of the inner axle. I’m a bit confused 
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 6:58pm
The inner seals in the Dana 25 are all the way in the axle tubes just outboard of the differential bearings. If you have oil getting to your brake drums it is far more likely to be coming from whatever is in the closed knuckles
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 11:42am
"Yes, running oil in the knuckles"

The only seal on the knuckles is the seal on the back of the knuckles that rides on the ball. There is a seal on the inside of the hubs for the wheel bearings.

As already said the oil getting onto your brakes is probably due to what is in the knuckles. Running oil in there will not only cause problems with your brakes it will also cause it to leak past the seals on the knuckles. The oil in the knuckles would fill the hubs and leak past the wheel bearing seals in the hub to get onto your brakes. 

First step is to repack your wheel bearings, and replace those seals. 

Then go to the Novak site, they have a good recipe for "knuckle pudding" which is a mixture of 140wt gear oil and chassis grease. It is what I have used for many years. If mixed to proper consistency it will be thick enough not to bleed out through the spindles, and thin enough to leak just enough through the felt seals on the knuckles to keep the knuckle balls wet without forming a dripping leak.

There is a guy out there who goes by "Metalshaper" who sells a product specifically made for knuckle lubrication. I haven't tried it, but it is probably a very good product because he knows what he is doing.

I don't want to restart an old argument but I advise that you do not listen to the folks who will tell you to use "Cornhead" grease. It is not appropriate for steering knuckles especially with the Bendix axle joints you have.

Edited by Oldpappy - 27 July 2021 at 11:51am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 10:28am
Hi all
While we are on the subject of Dana 25 I dont suppose anyone has a picture of what the front differential looks like with the cover removed. I want to get the right gasket and no one seems to go around the join with the same width and others have 2 notches taken out off centre to the left. Would like to get the gasket and do it all at once. 
Thanks!
Here’s the outside

Edited by JonJ - 28 July 2021 at 11:35am
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 11:19am
If the cover is straight, clean the surface with brake cleaner and use RTV to make the gasket - the no leak solution. 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 11:36am
Ok I have permatex gear oil RTV so will use that! Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply