Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 25 locker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 5:21pm
in my old rockcrawler with a welded front end I used the locking one hub trick for years without a problem. When I got to somewhere where I really needed all 4 wheels pulling I would lock in my drivers side hub when I got out to look at the obstacle. You can go a lot of places in 3 wheel drive and I never thought it was bad about pulling to the other side, although power steering may have influenced that feeling. 
Driving home in front wheel drive with one hub unlocked because the rear driveshaft was destroyed was a different matter. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Nobodyjeff5888 Nobodyjeff5888 wrote:

removing the pill for low range 2 wheel drive. Is that an easy to do , or a remove t.c from vehicle. Haven't messed with that end of t.c yet. Any tricks or hints would be greatly appreciated

Best done with the transfer case out of the jeep. I suppose it could be done in frame, but it would be tricky at best.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 6:09pm
Thanks for your quick response and your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 6:17pm
Stan and John offer some great advice on this locker.  I had the same problems with the pin slots.  Had to clean them up to work properly.  Used a small dremel bit; no problems after that.  I had no issues with setting the gap.  Here’s some pics of what we are describing.

As far as liking the locker goes...I do and I don’t.  Just as Stan and John indicated, steering is rather problematic in 4wd.  When I first installed the locker, I took it down the street and tried to make a simple turn and couldn’t do it!  It would not turn (I’m also completely locked in the rear)!  That was a strange feeling.  That was asphalt and I knew it would be a little more forgiving in the dirt.  Nonetheless, I trudged on with it, because I knew I needed it in my off-road endeavors.  So, for that sake, I do like it.  It will allow you to go places you ordinarily couldn’t.  You will need to learn to drive and steer with it, however.  As Stan mentioned, if you remove your interlock pin in your transfer case you can quickly shift to 2wd low to steer in a difficult situation.  I, too, have locking hubs and will not get out to unlock one for those tight steering situations.  Removing the interlock pin is the best option.  I would recommend the locker if you are going to do some serious off roading, but it will take a little getting used to.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 6:58pm
Here’s some video of our recent FCT trip up to the top of Mt. Antero.  It’s about 13,000 ft and a shelf road with some tight switchbacks and moderate grades.  Not a difficult road, but you do need to pay attention, especially trying to steering a locked front axle.  Most of this video is sped up because it’s pretty long, but look at the turns at 4:42, 9:05, 9:20, and 9:32.  These will give you an idea of the loss of turning radius.  Compare my turns to the jeep(s) in front of me without lockers (or selectable lockers).  I didn’t think to put the TC in 2wd Low until I was almost down to the bottom of the difficult section.  Look at 9:58 and you can see that I make the turn without any problems when it was in 2wd Low.  My arms were wore out before I shifted into 2wd Low.  It really is a fight going down a steep grade in 4wd Low, but I like it better than sliding down a steep grade Wink

Edited by Rick G - 10 Nov. 2017 at 7:04pm

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 8:29pm
Thanks for the photos and video! My pins in my locker in the 41 fit perfect. No dressing needed and the gap was right on. But I'll keep an eye out for problems in the new one for the dana 25. Really appreciate all this help. Make a real difference in my confidence level for the job. Thanks again
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 11:14pm
Tip for getting hubs locked with a front locker/LSD:

It is easy to get the first hub locked, but often the second one isn't lined up especially with hubs with only a few "holes" to lock into like the Dualmatics.

To get the axleshaft lined up with the hub, sometimes all you need to do is to turn the steering wheel full lock!

Didn't work? Try it the other way. Still no luck? you'll have to drive in a turn a little. Say 5 feet forward or back and try again. I tend to lock them in for an entire event and just leave them locked until it is time to flat tow home.
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 11:43pm
I have a 3A in to have the 2110LR installed (along with some other stuff). Beginning to think I made a bad mistake. Anyone want a good deal on a D25 locker?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 12:17am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

I have a 3A in to have the 2110LR installed (along with some other stuff). Beginning to think I made a bad mistake. Anyone want a good deal on a D25 locker?

Run it a while and then see how you feel. I wouldn’t be without my Lock Rights front and rear.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 12:48am
A few years ago I helped a few friends put Elockers in both axles on their Jeeps.
Bob found that he couldn't steer well going downhill until he turned off the front locker. Surprise.
uncamonkey
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 1:15am
Having the front locker put in now most likely means it will be in this Spring. It will be touch and go to try it before I take it to Moab in May. I'll take your word for it Stan and try to remember the guidance to hit the throttle going up and the clutch going down to change direction.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 12:07pm
Those techniques help when you have to have 4 wheel drive. The best thing to do is remove the transfercase interlock pin so you can choose when to be in 2 wheel or 4 wheel. Remember that the stock set up has one wheel in the front and one in the rear doing all the work. With a locker in the back, you are almost the same in 2 wheel drive. Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 12:49pm
I'll try to find some place to see how it goes before heading West. Problem is around "these parts", the good trails are only open during hunting season and that is rapidly closing. Then everything closes for Winter and opens again mid-March. So far I like the rear locker and don't find it hindering turns in or out of 4 WD. If the front locker isn't much worse than the rear, it will be ok. Appreciate your tips on clutch and throttle.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 1:41pm
I've been running lockrights since 2001 in both axles, they do have some rude road manners but with driving experience you will learn to love them as I have. Just my $.02
Makes huge difference offroad.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 7:44pm
Thanks guys for your responses. They are greatly appreciated and respected. It arrives tomorrow.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 11:08pm
Went to my mechanic this afternoon and looked at my D-25 opened up. Pointed out to me the pin that you have to remove to install the locker. It won't clear the ring gear. You have to pull both axles to get it out. Let me know how you like your lock-right and I'll do the same. I plan on keeping the old parts just in case.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 11:14pm
For me, the lockers FAR outweigh any negative nuances that comes with them being installed.

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 11:44pm
already did the 41 in the rear. Wasn't that hard for a first timer. The front is a little more I evolved but that's the fun of it.ill give updates when I install it. There's a great set of step by step pics put on this forum already. Search front locker. He did a great job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>