Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 27

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

It is just a Yukon Spartan lunchbox style locker.

I fully expected it to blow up by now, but here I am 5+ years later with MANY trail miles later and zero issues.

When (?) it does finally give out or I chicken out, I would replace it with a Yukon Grizzly Locker. I believe the Grizzly is a little more durable vs the Detroit. They both function very similar, but I think the Grizzly is also a little better at unlocking technically ( but maybe at the expense of slightly more noise ). Detroit has rolled most of their offerings to the 'soft-locker' style technology to make them behave a bit better when used in rear applications.

Thanks.  I can tell already that reading about all these mods is going to become an expensive proposition for me.  T98, Teralow, Dana 30, lockers...it's just a damn ranch jeep....
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

...Thanks.  I can tell already that reading about all these mods is going to become an expensive proposition for me.  T98, Teralow, Dana 30, lockers...it's just a damn ranch jeep....
Put a couple Lock-Rights in and call it good. Wanna go cheaper? Weld the rear diff and put a Lock-Right in the front. Be sure to take the interlock pill out of the transfer case. Lots of guys on this forum have done this and not had a problem with 32" tires. Do a search. I'm not sure I know of anyone who has blown one up a Lock-Right on a "ranch jeep". They must be stronger than the axle shafts anyway.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Put a couple Lock-Rights in and call it good. Wanna go cheaper? Weld the rear diff and put a Lock-Right in the front. Be sure to take the interlock pill out of the transfer case. Lots of guys on this forum have done this and not had a problem with 32" tires. Do a search. I'm not sure I know of anyone who has blown one up a Lock-Right on a "ranch jeep". They must be stronger than the axle shafts anyway.

You make solid points and offer excellent advice.

But...

We use a Honda Pioneer 1000 on the place and that thing will go near anywhere in all conditions.  It gets abused regularly and I was going to buy another one, but they're around $17K.  See where I'm going with this?  

Plus, the CJ just looks like it belongs there.

Instagram
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:52pm
... I'm confused. I thought you were trying to make your flatty more capable on the cheap.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:10pm
Apologies, Jpet.  I scabbed my question to Metcalf about his front locker within NCtoy's thread here so you might have me confused with someone else.

Instagram
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 4:22am

Apologies, Jpet.  I scabbed my question to Metcalf about his front locker within NCtoy's thread here so you might have me confused with someone else.

LoL...you lost me too dude. Didnt you just say:

“Thanks.  I can tell already that reading about all these mods is going to become an expensive proposition for me.  T98, Teralow, Dana 30, lockers...it's just a damn ranch jeep....“

To me that says that you are weary of high costs for “just a damn ranch jeep”.

To your point - a ranch jeep doesnt need any of those mods, does it? Maaaaybe a rear locker and a good warn winch that wont fail you out in BFE? 

The mods you listed are for a rubicon/moab/dusy ershim prepped rig.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by bigdaddy13 bigdaddy13 wrote:

To me that says that you are weary of high costs for “just a damn ranch jeep”.

To your point - a ranch jeep doesnt need any of those mods, does it? Maaaaybe a rear locker and a good warn winch that wont fail you out in BFE? 

The mods you listed are for a rubicon/moab/dusy ershim prepped rig.

Point being it was just a ranch jeep before I started reading all these threads.  Now I'm thinking it'll be more than that.  I gotta' work on my delivery or something. :)

Instagram
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 4:14am

Point being it was just a ranch jeep before I started reading all these threads.  Now I'm thinking it'll be more than that.

You've been attacked by the insidious mission creep.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:05pm

Great read on this thread. 

Winding up with the spectacular photo of a Ranch Jeep in its natural habitat.

If you have a ranch jeep that's just a little short on traction and a budget that's a little short on cash, just weld the rear diff and call it good. Next time you need tires, but the ones that best suit your soil conditions and needs. 

A winch is awfully handy to have on a portable platform like the Willys. Just heavy enough to actually get some work done too.

Gotta watch that scope creep. I face it too. "This CJ2A needs lower gears, taller tires, selectable lockers, fuel injection and a top." Then I look over at the 2009 Wrangler Rubicon on 35s I drive every day. Oh yeah. I already have that. "This CJ2A, idiosyncrasies, limitations and all is just fine."

Edited by stude-a-willys - 15 May 2018 at 5:09pm
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12