Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 41 yoke replacment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dana 41 yoke replacment
    Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 5:54am
replaced pinion seal on my d41 . Found yoke seal area pitted so bought new one. This one has the dust shield and felt pad. When tightening it I got a little over hand tight and the yoke won't move. dust shield is rubbing housing.  Do i use washers to space it out or what is the proper way to address this problem.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 8:06am
The is (obviously) something wrong - no ways your yoke dust seal should be rubbing on the housing especially if it is only finger tight.

Are you sure you have all the bits and pieces assembled in the right order? The depth of the pinion is controlled by shims, but this would probably not be enough to cause rubbing of the yoke if it is only finger tight. Something else is drastically wrong if your pinion is this deep in your diff.

Are you absolutely sure you have the correct yoke?
Are your pinion bearing races seated properly inside the diff?

I would not recommend using washers to "space it out". This is just putting a band-aid on a much bigger problem.

You need to give us more background on what you have done to this diff... Did you have the pumpkin out? Did you set the pre-load on everything when it went back in? Did everything check out on these aspects? Did you have any bits left over afterwards that you weren't sure where they came from?
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 10:12am
I did put a lockright locker in. But didn't touch pinion. I disconnected the universal and involved the yoke. Pulled it out by hand. Removed and replaced seal and installed new yoke. This yoke has a dust cover and the other one didn't. Could the felt be packing up inside or should the dust cover and felt be removed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 10:13am
that was removed not involved
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 5:15pm
Chances are the felt is binding against the face of the seal. You could cut the felt down to a lesser thickness without reducing the effectiveness appreciably. Try that, but do not remove the slinger (what you refer to as a dust cover).

If the pinion was not changed in any way, re-tightening the pinion nut won't change the pinion depth or the preload. Your interference is with the new yoke setup and is most likely because of the felt.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 7:47pm
Found out the problem. Ordered what I thought was a 41 pinion yoke. Actually bout a front output yoke for a dana 18. So oops. Ordering the correct one and will use the other when I replace seal on front of d18 . Thanks for all the input. Saved me from a possible major snafu.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 1:37am
Good to read that you caught the problem before things really went bad.  I hope I can remember to pay attention to the yokes in the future...  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 1:50am
correct one coming tomorrow. Then I can put her back together
 Post Reply Post Reply