Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Handle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Handle
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 1:04pm
After getting my dad out for a couple rides since m restoration, it is clear that he needs a handle around the dash area to steady himself getting in and out, and to hold when going over uneven ground and turns.

I would prefer something in stainless steel but could paint it if necessary.  I am thinking it would go to the left of the passenger side windshield clamp, and at about 11:00 from the data plates on the dash.

I am having a hard time sourcing something like this, so I am wondering if there is something that would look appropriate out there (for the period) without looking modern but may be designed for something else.

I am thinking about 8 inches long.  I have seen others post pictures of something in this location, so I am curious what my options might be.

Thanks
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 1:21pm
A little long, but like this? https://walcks4wd.com/search.asp?keyword=grab

Edited by Ron D - 17 Jan. 2022 at 1:23pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 1:47pm
The "Chicken Perch" or "Grab Bar" from an older VW Beetle would be about the right size.

A quick search found half a dozen on Ebay for $20 - $50.

Edited by Oldpappy - 17 Jan. 2022 at 1:50pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

A little long, but like this? https://walcks4wd.com/search.asp?keyword=grab
  I looked at this one, and it is a candidate, but it would need to be mounted under the data plates.  I need to mock it up and see if that is too low to work well.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 2:15pm
There are a bunch of grab handles on eBay last I looked. You just have to sort through all the modern crap. I used "Jeep Dash handle Chrome" to find some.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 2:22pm
I put one from a 5A below the data plate. Found it is way too low to be of much use. Have thought about putting it on the lower section of my windshield (a 3A). Seems that would be the natural place to grab. Might even be of some use with the windshield down... maybe not, and might look weird. 
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

There are a bunch of grab handles on eBay last I looked. You just have to sort through all the modern crap. I used "Jeep Dash handle Chrome" to find some.

That search definitely found some options, but man - I hate Ebay.  It's always my last resort.  Mostly because on the odd chance I find something useful, the seller is sketchy.  In this space it seems that a lot of these old parts on Ebay are sourced by shysters.

Now to validate the sellers...

Thanks
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

I put one from a 5A below the data plate. Found it is way too low to be of much use. Have thought about putting it on the lower section of my windshield (a 3A). Seems that would be the natural place to grab. Might even be of some use with the windshield down... maybe not and might look weird. 

That's what worries me about that location.  It probably works well for using it to get in, but hard to use once you're in.  My wife is short, and my dad doesn't bend in the middle very well...  :)
SlowPoke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 4:01pm
https://www.jbugs.com
Hi, here are a bunch of them about 7 1/2"  center to center mounting, good luck
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 4:51pm
MB/GPW side handle looks About as 'right' as you could ask for. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 4:53pm
What about a t-handle attached where the top bow holder bracket is?   Something fabbed like a d-handle from a weed eater?
Mike in AZ
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 6:22pm
MB/GPW side handle looks About as 'right' as you could ask for. Wink

I've thought this would be near perfect. It falls near perfectly to my right hand. Only thing keeping me from going this way is that I have often scraped the sides of my jeep. If you are not going to bash things, I think this would do it.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 6:23pm

[/QUOTE]

That search definitely found some options, but man - I hate Ebay.  It's always my last resort.  Mostly because on the odd chance I find something useful, the seller is sketchy.  In this space it seems that a lot of these old parts on Ebay are sourced by shysters.

Now to validate the sellers...

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Wow almost 1450 auctions one way or the other on ebay since 2000 I think I have had one guy not pay me (he died right after winning the auction I don't ship until payment arrives) And one or two guys I had to chase a bit to get payment back in the days of sending a check through the mail. I have gotten a couple items not as represented gotten a refund once and stuck with a non working engine analyzer another.

But out of the total thats such a tiny percent as to not worry about it.  YMMV
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 6:31pm
Yeah, I have bought and sold a great many things on Ebay over the years with only one disappointment which was promptly resolved. 

Sometimes it is the best option for finding hard to find stuff.

Last month I bought a NOS, still in the original BW box, input shaft for a T90, and a NOS 1958 Ford heater control from the same seller who said he was clearing out his warehouse. I got both these parts for less than half what I have seen elsewhere. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

...Only thing keeping me from going this way is that I have often scraped the sides of my jeep. If you are not going to bash things, I think this would do it.

When I mentioned it I was saying it could be easily dash mounted.....not implying using it in standard side location.

Would still look 'period' or 'right' as was mentioned.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 7:44pm
Do a Google search for an MB sidehandle...if that isn't what you are looking for (they will be shorter than a standard dash grab bar) and you want to modify a standard grab bar to your specs....wouldn't take much to cut a section out and re weld, I'll sell this one for $10 plus postage if you want it.

BTW, an MB corner handle works really well mounted to the floor right beside the passenger seat too. (after heating and bending the tabs flat)

Think about this for a minute....which gives a passenger more confidence of not falling out, holding onto something directly in front of you or holding on with your left arm from something on the floor. (try it there in your chair)Wink

Edited by rocnroll - 17 Jan. 2022 at 8:29pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 12:05am
my wife likes to hold on to my seatbelt with her left hand.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 12:29pm
There's a lot of preference that goes into a grab handle.  I would guess the dash location probably got popular during off-roading.  Ever notice how much less you get bounced around if you lean forward just a bit?  In that lean forward position, a dash mounted handle makes a lot of sense.

I like the idea of the MB side handle.  It's small and can fit in more places than that long one.  You could even mount more than one in different locations if you wanted.

Since the driver's seat is bolted down, have you considered mounting a handle vertically on the back rest near the right side (would need to temporarily remove cover to drill and mount)?  In the past, when I've seen passengers reach for something to grab, I've suggested the back of my seat which seemed to help.  That and the side of the windshield frame....
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>