Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dataplates4u

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dataplates4u
    Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 3:28pm
I've been trying to contact the data plate site so I can order some through them but havent heard anything. Anyone had experience with them? How to contact or order?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 3:31pm
Robert sometimes "goes on holiday" as he puts it. This might be a month sometimes. Be patient and he will get in touch with you when he gets back. His work will be worth the wait.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 4:17pm
I have an order in progress with him, but as said it does take some time which is to be expected for quality work. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 5:42pm
I emailed him twice over the years... once about a '55 chevy tag and more recently about jeep tags. I never got a response either time.

People that have had more luck than me, speak highly of his work, but I can't do business that way. I'm in the process of buying my own appropriately sized stamps and then I'll try and find quality plates. If I can't get quality then I guess I'll do without and leave my battered, unreadable originals in place.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 6:41pm
I was very pleased with the plates he did for my '44 GPW a couple years ago.
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I've been trying to contact the data plate site so I can order some through them but havent heard anything. Anyone had experience with them? How to contact or order?

You can find them on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLYS-OVERLAND-CJ2A-CJ3A-DATA-PLATE-JEEP-1948-1949-ID-TAG/181317827578?hash=item2a37627bfa:g:12oAAOSwsB9WEf3N
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 8:20pm
Got mine from him and was satisfied but did take couple weeks.  But was not in a hurry.
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

You can find them on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLYS-OVERLAND-CJ2A-CJ3A-DATA-PLATE-JEEP-1948-1949-ID-TAG/181317827578?hash=item2a37627bfa:g:12oAAOSwsB9WEf3N

Blank plates are generally less expensive from K-W or Walck's than Ebay:

https://walcks4wd.com/Data-Plates_c_183.html

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/decals-stencils-data-plates/data-plates

Copy and paste the links...

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 1:52am
I do not know about your locality, but here there are trophy shops that will stamp your new plates to match the old one. They will also, for a fair fee, print/make the plates for you.

I have used them to make data plates for both aircraft engines as well as for the aircraft itself. The fee was less than it would have cost me to buy the correct stamps.  

Of course, YMMV.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 4:11am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

I do not know about your locality, but here there are trophy shops that will stamp your new plates to match the old one. They will also, for a fair fee, print/make the plates for you.

I have used them to make data plates for both aircraft engines as well as for the aircraft itself. The fee was less than it would have cost me to buy the correct stamps.  

Of course, YMMV.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

That's a good idea, I'll ask before I order the stamps. I think we have a couple trophy shops in town.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 6:34pm
I ordered my plates from Dataplates4u in mid October, and Robert emailed me 3 days ago (November 27) that they were being shipped, and he provided a tracking number.

It does sometimes take a while but that is not unusual for custom work such as this, and I do not mind waiting a little longer for quality.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 7:06pm
Get the feeling Robert is a one man operation and most likely Dataplates isn't his regular job. I was very willing to wait for his level of workmanship.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 7:59pm
I have experience as a "one man shop" in building a particular style of banjo.

I have seen more than a few of my fellow luthiers have their business completely destroyed by folks thrashing them on internet forums when they fall behind on orders.   

The problem with a one man shop, no matter the product, is life can throw you a curve ball and the work gets delayed. 

If you become known for making a high quality product the demand can quickly outpace your capacity. If you get sick, or have a family emergency, you will get behind. No matter the cause of the delay, people who have paid money up front can quickly loose patience and start yammering about it on the internet. 

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I have experience as a "one man shop" in building a particular style of banjo.

I have seen more than a few of my fellow luthiers have their business completely destroyed by folks thrashing them on internet forums when they fall behind on orders.   

The problem with a one man shop, no matter the product, is life can throw you a curve ball and the work gets delayed. 

If you become known for making a high quality product the demand can quickly outpace your capacity. If you get sick, or have a family emergency, you will get behind. No matter the cause of the delay, people who have paid money up front can quickly loose patience and start yammering about it on the internet. 

I can relate completely. As a one-man transmission, transfer case, axle, and driveshaft repair and manufacturing operation I had to be there EVERY DAY whether I was sick, had doctors appointments, or family problems. I had a part-time helper that could answer the phone when I was out of the shop, but that was about it. After eighteen years I closed shop and went to work down the street for someone else. I clocked out promptly at 4:30 in the afternoon and went down to the local VFW for a beer or two. When I owned the shop (or maybe the shop owned me!) I never got out of there usually until 6 or 7 in the evening after a 12 hour day.   

Miss a days work and you were a worthless SOB to all the people you depended on to make a living. Looking back, I think I sold my skills and time too cheap...

Retirement is great...plenty of time to put Ol' Red on the trail...

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 9:52pm
Robert helped me get the right DOD on my '43 GPW. His plates are spectacular. Simply none better. Clap
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 9:59pm
I was a custom knifemaker in a past life and I can tell the knifemaki g was the easy part it was the business that burned me out after 14 years. Work 60 hours a week then go to the art show gun show knife show to sell all weekend. And that dam telephone.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 10:26pm
Take something that you love to do and do it for a living...some say you'll never work another day in your life... I'm of the opinion merging those two worlds is going to suck the life out of one of them Disapprove

(I love working on cars when I want to... I cannot stand working on cars when I have to)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Take something that you love to do and do it for a living...some say you'll never work another day in your life... I'm of the opinion merging those two worlds is going to suck the life out of one of them Disapprove

(I love working on cars when I want to... I cannot stand working on cars when I have to)

It sure can. Especially if you run a one man show.

I got lucky working in a small shop (20 or so folks), doing what I loved. Yes, there was a bit of OT over the 20+ years that I worked there, but I would not swap those years for anything. It can be done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>