Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 26>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:05am
I think you've got an awesome Jeep there, Ron.  Just the right goodies and a great patina.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:17am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

You got to make the show with it and got to identify some bugs. Now you can take the time to get everything right. That was a herculean effort to get it together in time. My hat is off to you sir! 

Thanks Steve . . you were there for one of the low points, haha.   I had just about given up on having a running Jeep when we saw the rusty internals of the Dana 44 that day.    I hit other unexpected delays,  but thankfully not enough to keep Wilson from moving under own power before Reunion.

Not sure how much time I have to "get everything right" though. Smile    I have this crazy dream of taking it to Rubicon a couple months from now with Jpet and others.   It has to be very functional if that works out.   Some of the "refinements" may not get done.

If the timing is right, I'd like to come out and help (read that as learn)  when you install the locker. I've never even seen oneBig smile 

Having someone to help would be good,  I was planning to install everything while axle was in the Jeep,  but with some help moving axle out,  it would probably be easier "on the bench".   As you know,  I am far from an expert. LOL      but,    I have set up a few ring-and-pinions before,  and all have survived so far.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:22am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I think you've got an awesome Jeep there, Ron.  Just the right goodies and a great patina.

Thanks Bob.   I really like this old thing,  lots of memories,  and as you say, ->   it looks its age. LOL   I have been thinking about these upgrades for many years,  and now almost there.

Hopefully some day we can wheel together. Smile
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:58pm
I dis-assembled the Dana 44 last night.    No wonder the pinion seal was leaking . . . the rubber was not even touching the yoke hub.   There was at least .030 of open clearance.   The internal circular spring that helps compress the lip was missing.

Should the mid '70's Dana 44 have a crush sleeve?    This one did not.   There is one coming in the rebuild kit.   I assume that I should use it when putting everything back together?

edit:  rebuild kit must be "universal" and include parts not necessarily needed.   Did a little searching and most likely this year did not use crush sleeve.

Edited by JeepFever - 23 May 2018 at 2:56pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:30pm
intermediate vintage axles 1972 through 1975 do not use a crush sleeve.
Pinion reload is set up with shims. 
When you get that far along.
I suggest starting with .068 Preload shim pack. 
A slight drag will be felt when preload is correct.

First thing is to snug the ring gear down  on your differential carrier.
10 possible mounting positions . 
Shoot for the least amount ring gear runout. 
Ideally zero runout. I think  .003"?  or .005" ? s the factory service limit.
Memory alone is not so reliable.
Can check service manual if you need that spec.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:03am
Right, no crush sleeve.  Shim stacks are the ticket.  Too bad I didn't know, I think I had a set of bearings that I had ground a bit so that they were only a slip fit (set-up bearings) in that pile of stuff I had at the Reunion.  Use the set up bearings until you close, 'cause it's in the pain in the butt pressing the real things on and off.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:26am
oldtime:  I would not have thought to check different mounting locations of ring gear. (for runout).   I will do that
BobEvans:  wish we could reverse time a week or so,  and I could get those setup bearings from you. LOL
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 3:42am
Whew,  life is just too hectic!!    In a flurry of activity a week ago,  I decided, at spur of moment, to try to install the TrueTrac the afternoon/evening before leaving on family vacation for a week. *

To back up a little . . . in limited driving so far,  I am not totally convinced that I want to stay with 3.73 R&P.   I was reluctant to purchase new gears in 3.73,  so decided to use the old ones for now (even though they had some rust on a few of the teeth). 

Using the original gears,  (hoping for a relatively easy install . .   because the original shims might work out).   I was lucky ->   with original shims on the pinion,  and new bearings ->  the preload was spot-on,  and the depth appears ok because the mesh-pattern is same as original.   I tried using original carrier shims on the new TrueTrac, but the backlash was too small.   I lucked out again,  and my first guess at correction worked. (so only had to remove/reinstall bearings one time)

Preload is good,  backlash is good,  pattern is same as original.   Hopefully I did this correctly.

Good news is that the "pattern" is touching very little of the rusted areas of the few teeth.  Smile  

*sorry Steve,  we will not be able to learn together.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:23am
To recap the current setup of Wilson . .  this is the sheet that I attached during the Spring Willys Reunion a couple weeks ago

Update since then  (as mentioned above) -->  Eaton TrueTrac limited-slip in rear.

In a very short test run this evening:
 - no skid-marks in gravel driveway,  when reversing, uphill, turning 90 degrees in turnaround area.  The lock-rite locker always did make skid marks.
 - On paved road, RH,  up-hill turn,  no tire scuffing . . (the locker always caused squealing tires)
 - offroad ->  prior to installing TrueTrac,  the open diff rear would not climb a steep,  leaf-covered, trail behind my house.  (one wheel started spinning). . .  today,  the TrueTrac did not make it either,  BUT it was spinning BOTH rear tires.  . .   It was not a fair comparison, however,  because the trail is extremely wet from very heavy rains earlier today.   I will try again, after things dry out a little.
 - on gravel etc, -> "blip" the throttle,  both tires spin   (when open,  only one tire would spin)

So far the TrueTrac seems to have most of the traction advantages of LockRite,  without the negative effects.   (but have not gotten crossed up,  with a tire off the ground)
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:40am
Very nice. It'll def be ready for the "farm" before the next reunion.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:50am
No problem Ron, glad you are making such great progress.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:40am

No problem Ron, glad you are making such great progress.

Progress slowed down some,  (lots of vacation and family stuff)  but hopefully picking up speed now.

Some progress yesterday and today.  I finally have the E-locker wiring almost done.  

These photos will probably not make sense,  unless you are familiar with E-locker.  I am posting,  in case it helps someone in future.   Not that my install is great,  but might  spark an idea.

I did not like the wiring that came with E-locker.  There was a short pigtail to a connector out of top of differential.   That connector in plain view ruined the stock look LOL   plus that low seemed like it was exposed to the elements.   Between this connector and the switch/relay was over 15 ft of cable,  and I only needed to go a few feet,  so I cut that shorter and put the ends back together. 

I cut the pigtail, spliced in a extension, and moved the connector up under the battery. 

This photo shows the Eaton grommet coming out of diff,  the shrink-wrap that I applied to the splices,  and the small tubing (red),  that I inserted into grommet after drilling.  (oh wait,  I forgot to mention that I used the original vent hole to run the wiring.   My hope is to both vent and supply electric)

Edited by JeepFever - 12 June 2018 at 1:25pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:48am
Next I fed the wires thru a piece of fuel line,  then attached the fuel line to the Eaton grommet with some larger heat-shrink.    I used some old fuel line to make it look old.  LOL

As mentioned before,   hopefully this will serve as vent and electrical feed.

These photos are not good,  but this shows the top of front diff housing,  the fuel line coming out of top,  bent at angle to clear the radiator hose above.    (remember this is Dauntless,  so the hose is on passenger side)

I was happy that the heat gun was able to soften the fuel line, and at same time form the heat-shrink to maintain a decent bend.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:01am
The switch mounting:

I am thinking this is a convenient location,  just above the twin-stick that controls the front diff.  

Behind that plate is a square hole I cut out out of the dash.  Don't be too alarmed,  I did not desecrate a good dash.  A PO had already cut out that area of dash for stereo and speaker.   My bubba fix, (many years ago),   was to bondo a piece of sheetmetal on backside,  then smooth out the face.    Now, I simply cut out some of my mess.

I actually like this plate,  because when it is removed - > it allows easier access to all of the other wiring behind the dash.  (Ignition switch,  and a fuse box I have mounted to firewall)

Edited by JeepFever - 12 June 2018 at 1:29pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 9:09pm
I drove Wilson to work today,   to put on some more miles.

Did a little "off-road" testing at lunchtime.   There is a fairly steep slope where the parking lot drops off.    I backed down that,  then tried to come back up.   The ground is still a little loose from all the rain.  
 - 2WD rear only,           started spinning at steepest part,  both tires spinning
 - 2WD front only,  open,    "            "                "         "    ,  only driver spinning
 - 2WD front only,  locked,    "            "                "         "    ,  both fronts spinning
 - 4WD front locked,  came up hill,  no spinning,  or even slight slippage.     
     I had already made enough marks in the grass,  so did not try 4WD open front

When I hit the parking lot in 4WD and front locked,  and tried to turn,  I see now what everyone talks about.   It was HARD to steer.     As expected from what I have read - >  I switched off the Elocker in that turn,  but it did not unlock,  until I straightened it out.

No rain in forecast, so hoping to get some real off-road testing this weekend.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 4:47am
Did some off-road testing this past weekend.  
Below is photo of testing the new diff "lockers".    I found a "berm" to drive into.   I discovered that a limited-slip is not a locker.  haha.   Once the opposite corners were lifted,  forward movement stopped.  The driver rear was spinning, but passenger rear was not. :-(   applied emergency brake,  no difference. Cry   (this is only ONE test, but I am beginning to doubt that brakes can make a LS help in crossed up situations)

Pictures never show true situation.   Here, the bottom of tub at driver entrance is above my waist, and the passenger front tire is not touching the ground.

I engaged the front axle (open) . . nothing. . . .   I engaged the front eLocker, and it climbed completely over the berm.  Smile

edit:  I put the BFG KM2 tires back on for now.   As much as I am beginning to prefer the "look" of the skinny STA tires,  these BFGs ride so much better on the road,   and are probably better offroad also.

Edited by JeepFever - 21 June 2018 at 5:08am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 4:57am
During this testing I discovered something that needs to be fixed.   It was a fairly hot day,  in upper 80's.   I noticed that temps were approaching 200 deg when moving slow, under load.    I can't remember the last time that Wilson went above 180 with the old engine. (in any situation).   Maybe this new engine is tighter while new, or something.

I ordered a better fan,  in the hopes that more airflow will help on hotter days on the trail.   If not,  I may need to get a better radiator.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 3:45am
Is your fan shrouded?  What kind of radiator do you have? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 26>