Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 26>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 12:01pm
Hi, Ron
If you get stuck at work again, give me a shout and ill bring my trailer and give you and Wilson a ride home.
Rick Estes
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 8:02pm
Thanks for the offer Rick.  Hopefully does not happen again,  but you never know.    (I thought I replied to this earlier,  but don't see it Confused
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 8:13pm
Packing for the Rubicon this upcoming week, and it is tight squeeze   I had thought about carrying jerry can in the bed,  because I did not have time to rig up something for the back.    I did have a homemade rack that came welded to the front of a Bantam trailer I bought a while back.

I decided to go ahead and see if I could make that bubba rack fit.   I think it might just work.   I welded a couple "legs" to the bottom,  to fasten to the drawbar holes in frame.    Then welded some "tabs" and bolted it thru the tailgate chain holes.   Using thick rubber "washers" to hopefully allow some relative movement between tub and frame.

My spare tire is too big to fit this config,  however.

It has the patina to match Smulle's GPJeep  Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 22 July 2018 at 8:16pm
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 4:52am
   My God, what we do in a pinch !

That can rack will work I think, and I always packed a leaky jerry-can with me every trip through the Rubicon. 16-summers with a '77 CJ-7 w/ 304 & T-18, and 2-summers with a '46 2A L134 T-90 5:38's and 32-inch Tru-Tracs aired down to 12 PSI.   Low CG and tire pressure is good. Soft flexy bias-ply tires like Dick Cepek do wonders on the Rubicon aired Low. Stiff tires don't wrap around the rocks and grab, but spin in the dust on the rocks. all Good stuff.
   Even after installing the T-18 trans, I still had white-knuckles. haha
( but, the white knuckles were black with Trail-Dust ) yes

I have a close friend who joined me my 2-nd year through the Rubicon trail in 1984, and he wound up putting the SM420 Granny-box in his Land Cruiser with 351w Ford, and I never heard him or his buddies complain or have trans problems. They ran Moab for several years with good praise of the 420 box.
   And i wound up installing the T-18 out of a Ford pickup and purchased the Nobak adapter kit in 1984, which is working fine today.
   From my experience, the T-18 is a B*tch to tear apart without a bearing separater. On the flip-side, the NV 435 falls apart in your lap. I have not torn down a SM 465 yet.

This discussion is always a treat to read and ponder _ _ what's next.

Ok, so while there was lots of discussion early on in this thread, i must admit that i have to fess-up. My little '46 probably won't stay stock for long because i picked up a T-18 with transfer case and am chomping at the bit to gather all the necessary components to put it into the '46.
   Another confession:   i have looked at a 215 Buick V-8 all-aluminum engine, but didn't buy it. It needed way too much machining work.
   I have a solid lead on another 215 complete in a car.
   So, you see, it is easy to dream about how we may personalize our machines.

Have fun on the Rubicon run ! .... i haven't been since 2001.   Egads

One last note:   there is a great trail near the Rubicon trail called the Barrett Lake trail. It is only open 2-weeks out of the year for 4x4's. It is near White's Lake up in that area. My father and i walked it one year after doing the Rubicon. It is 6-miles in and 6-out. .. interesting.
   There is one other seldom mentioned trail in California up out of Fresno. This trail is called the Swampy Lake trail, which is near the Dusy-Ershim trail, which it is rumored to rival the Rubicaon. The Dusy-Ershim trail is 30-miles one-way and if running south to north it terminates at Kaiser Pass in the Sierra Nevada mountains.   Great trails. i haven't done Swampy Lake yet.
I learned of the Dusy Ershim while on the Rubicon back in '86, and had to do it, and got snowed on in August. go figure.

Len
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 4:54am
   OH Ron, I forgot:

Don't drive off with that ground clamp attached !   hahaha

something i'd do _ _ _ and the wife would tease me for weeks.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 5:03am
Greaser,    "in a pinch" is a great description at this point.   LOL  Thanks for entertaining/informative  post.

Oh, the grounding clamp is gone now.  I almost removed it prior to photo,  but then thought it might prove I was welding.  Big smile

Edited by JeepFever - 24 July 2018 at 5:05am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 5:19am
A little "Murphy's Law" hit today.    Hopefully though,  not too much has "gone wrong".   A while ago,  I modified a CJ-7 driveshaft for all of the "testing".  I did not want to spend money until I was sure of the length.    My homemade one worked so well that I almost forget about it.  (no vibration on road, etc).    Last week I remembered that I probably should get better one,  and ordered from Tom Woods. 

It arrived today,  and unexpectedly had a much larger diameter slip-joint than stock. (the spline is larger than the driveshaft tube Shocked).   This is great for strength,  but reduces clearance to the starter on Dauntless, by something like 3/8".   Does not sound like much,  but I probably went from not-touching/barely-skimming to -> almost certainly rubbing.  (in extreme conditions like Rubicon).  Hopefully no problems on the trail.   I will carry the homemade one as a backup.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Thanks for the offer Rick.  Hopefully does not happen again,  but you never know.    (I thought I replied to this earlier,  but don't see it Confused

Anytime!
Rick Estes
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 6:18am
Wilson survived the Rubicon Trail !!
This photo was taken when starting out,  before some new dents.  Ouch

Had some problems with carburetor,   first running rich,  especially when bumping hard, or on hill climbs.    I lowered the float.   That fixed the flooding out,  but then almost seemed too lean at first.  Would idle fine,  but just above idle had no power,   then slightly farther into the pedal it would take off.   Throttle was more like an off-on switch than a linear control.   Oddly at one point it began to run very well,   then later poorly again.   Something inside the carb is changing,  maybe dirt somewhere that is getting moved around?

Other issue is that front locker would not engage reliably.   Possibly the connector at diff is making poor contact.    Wade said that he and his Dad eliminated the connector,  and problem went away.  The Elocker requires full 12+ volts or it disengages.  

Overheating did not seem to be an issue until we were doing the long pulls on road at end of trip.    It was running up to 200 degrees while on road,  and would go even higher if not moving.    The group was pulling over occasionally to let engines cool,   but Wilson was opposite,  it would get hotter when stopped,   so I had to continue on alone to trailers,  ahead of the rest of them.

Oh, almost forgot the scariest issue.     At one point in an obstacle,  I got stuck (locker was not working).   The engine stalled and would not start.  No spark.    BobW's  test showed it might be pickup coil in HEI distributor.   We thought we might have to send someone to Rubicon Springs to see if by miracle they had parts.        We had to winch Wilson off the rocks anyway,  because blocking the trail . . .  oddly,  once it was more level,   it fired right up!  Confused      Did not have any problems after that.   So strange.    BobW feels it might be a flaky ignition switch.   I plan to replace that when I get back home. 

Overall,  very happy with how Wilson did . .   LOVE the 69:1 low crawl.   
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 5:47am
Awesome.  Can't wait to see some pictures.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 11:36am
If you have not already,  check out the "Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018" thread in "Shows and Get-togethers"
Here is one from Moab yesterday.  Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 03 Aug. 2018 at 11:41am
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 12:05pm
Ron - my hat is off to you.  What an incredible adventure.  From rebuilding Wilson in record time, to the great Rubicon trip all the way across the country.  Wow. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 12:45pm
Thanks!

I have to pinch myself sometimes to make sure this is real.  haha

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 3:48am
This is one of my favorite photos.  At this point I was posing for the camera,  but also was caught up in the moment.  Such a spectacular view.  We made it!!   All downhill from here.   All the months of crashing to get Wilson ready was totally worth it.! 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 4:05am
To back up a little.   The last two weeks were crazy trying to get ready.  I did not take a lot of photos of progress,  but here are some to show the cross-member and belly-pan I made.

The front of bellypan is supported by thickwall 1"sq tubing.   It crosses in front of exhaust.

This photo shows the crossmember . . .  a heavily modified CJ-7 pan, with extra channel,  for stiffness, and something to mount the bellypan to.

This is the bellypan,  mocked up with sheetmetal screws.  I later bent the front and back edges up to give a "ramp".  

Those holes are to help vent the exhaust,  I was a little concerned about heat in an enclosed area.   The tranny survived Rubicon (and a long uphill drive back to trailer),  Moab (hot),  and Ouray,  . . .   but only time will tell if that is a good route to run exhaust.

As expected,  (because the pan is only .12 thick or so),  it got banged up a fair amount on Rubicon,  but did its job protecting everything.  I plan to beef it up, and secure it better.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 4:55am
Well it sure seems like it worked! Thanks for sharing all the pics and videos.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 2:05pm
I think I have the little bugs out of Wilson, that occurred during Out West trip.  

During the trip,  the carb developed a nagging off-idle rough spot (not acceleration-pump type of hesitation,  but if throttle was between idle and partial throttle,  it would run really rough.   I took the carb apart and cleaned good etc.   Would be ok for a while then problems would come back.  It was odd and random.    Even though I could find nothing wrong,  Yesterday installed a rebuild kit,  and cleaned it good again.    Today on a drive to work it ran great,   better than even before all the changes.

Also during the trip the front Elocker stopped working reliably,  in fact,  I am not sure it was working at all most of the 2nd and 3rd days of Rubicon,  or remainder of trip.    I think I found the issue to be in the connector.   One of the wires may have pulled/vibrated loose.  

Note:  I pulled the wire out on purpose for photo to exaggerate what can happen.

There is a tab on the "spear" that is supposed to prevent the wire from pulling out,  but is not doing a good job on my connector.    I epoxied the spears into connector.

Odd exhaust sound.   Seemed like when it was idling it had a "putt-putt" sound to it.   Make it sound crappy.   I thought it had something to do with the new exhaust routing, and was considering changing out the muffler to see if it sounded any different.   Yesterday while measuring for the muffler,  I noticed a crack in a corner weld of rear exhaust pipe.   I smeared some RTV on it as temp fix,  and wallah - > the "putt" is gone.  Embarrassed    Now I just need to weld it up.   
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 5:48pm
On the drive into work today I was reminded how pleased I am so far*.   With the carb working the way it is supposed to,  the drive was very pleasant.    This is 15 miles of country roads,  with a short section through a small town.    The 3.73 gears and Dana 300 xfer make for a very quiet cruise.   Any sounds coming from drivetrain are drowned out by the wind noise.   SO much quieter than before the updates.

One 3-4 mile stretch of road is a fairly major 2 lane.  Speed limit 55mph,  but most cars are going 60 or so.   At one point,  I had a couple of them get behind me,  and I thought maybe I should speed up a little.   I looked down at speedo, and already was going 58 mph!    No way,  before changes, would 58 have felt like a relaxing cruising speed !!

So now it is a pleasure to drive on-road,   and it survived Rubicon, Moab, and Ouray.    Old but functional.    Exactly what I was hoping for when I started all this.

* This build still has a ways to go,  several things to finish,  (floor over the SM420,  better radiator,  to name a couple)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 26>