Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 3:11am
RickG sent some photos today.

Reminder that Rubicon was a decent test!  haha

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2018 at 4:51am
A couple minor updates today.

I welded up the crack in the exhaust.   It sounds so much better now.    Found out though,  the pipe is extremely thin.   The whole thing need replacing.    Probably won't be long before it starts leaking somewhere else.

I put in a new speedometer cable.   I modified the floor under the gas tank so that the cable did not have to make such a tight bend coming out of Dana 300 transfer case.   (the cable on this xfer, exits on driver's side, near rear yoke.)    As mentioned earlier ->    to get ground clearance under the SM420,  I stuffed the Dana 300 up into floor hump, creating a tight fit for the speedo cable.

It works now,  and should last a while.   The tight bend is gone.  
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 6:23pm
Wilson got some new tires.    The Super Traxions need to go back on the Hoover '3A project.   Wilson was borrowing them to look more "vintage" for the Rubicon trip.
I kept going back and forth on what style to go with,  but decided on NDTs

I went with 7.50x16.   They are little large for the stock suspension,  and the fronts rub on upper fender at full stuff.   Wilson has wider '70's axles.  In some quick tests,  they do not rub on inner fender.  Jpet and BobW are running these,  and seemed to do very well with them.

Edited by JeepFever - 09 Sep. 2018 at 4:58am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 5:10am
The photo above was taken literally 1/2 mile into the tires "active" life.   Later in the day, I put some more miles on them ,  and I am very happy so far.

Wilson took a trip to building supply approx. 12 miles away,  pulling the Bantam trailer.   Most of the trip was 45-55mph,  but I did take it up to 60mph for approx. 1 mile.   The tires ride smooth with no vibration.  I have no plans, currently, to take to a shop for balancing.

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 11:28am
Nice!! 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 4:15am
I have noticed a couple advantages of the 7.50 NDTs in past few days.
1) this was somewhat expected ->  but the larger diameter makes the speedometer more accurate.   The D300 xfer in Wilson is expecting 3.54 gears,  but axles are 3.73.   These larger tires get it closer. 
Speedo on Wilson is now only about 1-2mph fast at 55-60
2)  unexpected, but very happy ->  NDTs do not pick up rocks in gravel driveway like the KM2's, and even worse the Super Traxions.   . .    we can go down highway now without rocks coming loose and "tinging" when up to higher speeds. . . . I am guessing that trips down gravel roads will also not be as noisy. Smile

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 1:54pm
Nice tires. Just be careful in the rain.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Nice tires. Just be careful in the rain.

I very rarely drive in the rain,   and when I have to,  it is slow.     

Also,  never on snow-packed roads.

How do these do in fresh snow?    I sometimes like to play in the snow,   or even "work" in snow in woods behind the house.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

...How do these do in fresh snow?    I sometimes like to play in the snow,   or even "work" in snow in woods behind the house.
The only snow I have driven on is snow covered pavement. I do have to go up and down a few hills. I've driven in snow/ice and I have been fine but my tires are siped. I always have it in 4wd and always slower than I would with radials. I assume off-road snow would be better but I have no experience.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

[QUOTE=jpet]

How do these do in fresh snow?    I sometimes like to play in the snow,   or even "work" in snow in woods behind the house.

Playing in the fresh snow is fun but you have to aware of what's underneath. Hard surfaces are slippery.

My uncles tell stories of pushing through bumper high snow. I'm pretty sure they were chained up though.

Deep, crusty snow, not so fun. Skinny tires with big cleats bust through the crust and leave you sitting on the frame with all 4 tires spinning. Ask me how I know.

This picture doesn't look that bad, but I couldn't move. Even with the chains on. That tracked piece of plastic behind me had to pull me out. Very shameful. Angry . 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 3:58pm
You guy's opinions reflect my own sentiments about NDT's.

These tires are positively excellent on gravel roads.
IMHO nothing runs better on loose gravel. Period.!
They never pick up nor throw stones  Never !
We have  many of these old graded roads in certain areas of Mo.

They are nearly as good for forestry work as a logging tread. 
They grip fairly well on stumps and as poor as every other tire on wet mossy creek boulders.
They pull quit well in both directions when in deep mud.

They are doable on wet and oil soaked roadbeds  but only if you brake very gently.
Somewhat noisy at speed yet not excessive.

They perform rather pathetic in unpacked snow and worse yet on packed snow or ice.
They totally lack siping so they are perform nothing like  a snow tire.

In sand they are one of the worst possible tread designs.

All in all I really like them as an off road tire. 
The bias ply tires have puncture resistant sidewalls. 
And the near 100% aspect ratio is  as good as it gets.
Simply can't beat the looks !

Edited by oldtime - 11 Sep. 2018 at 4:09pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 1:30am
Well there's your problem smfulle, your chains are on the wrong axle!

They need to be on the axle with the most weight. Better yet, chain up both axles. That way when you get stuck, you are really STUCK! You will need a D-4 to get out of the snow then. That plastic thing will be of little use.

IME, NDTs are really good on dry blacktop. You know, they are for parades & such. They are not so good in mud, snow, & especially ice. Things can get very exciting with NDTs on ice!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 5:32am
Wilson looks great with those new sneakers!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2018 at 2:28am
   Wilson did Good on the Rubicon it looks !

The photo of Aug 28 looks like the climb on the east side of the little sluice box headed westerly towards Loon Lake. If it is, i seldom climbed it on the first attempt each year running the Rubicon in reverse (on way from Buck Island resivoir back to Loon Lake). I like the climbs going back out, and the climb up the Big Old Sluice. IF that is the hill I am thinking of, there was only one year that I made the climb non-stop on first attempt. dirt covered rocks ...

The SM420 must have been a real "treat" for easing-through the tight-spots.
Nor did I see it hanging down below your jeep. As you mentioned your skid plates took a beating. a beat-up skid plate is better than none. :-)
So overall, what do you think of the 420 shifting and gear-ratios ?

What I found was that with open front diff and worn-out limited-slip rear I was able to ease through lots of tricky spots just because of the super low gearing of the T-18 which is really "easy" on running gear and clutches.

And I guess that re-purposed jerry-can rack worked out ok too ?

Get that firewood in for the winter !    hahahaha

Len
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 6:11pm
I just realized that I did not reply to your post.  Embarrassed

Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

Wilson did Good on the Rubicon it looks !

The photo of Aug 28 looks like the climb on the east side of the little sluice box headed westerly towards Loon Lake. If it is, i seldom climbed it on the first attempt each year running the Rubicon in reverse (on way from Buck Island resivoir back to Loon Lake). I like the climbs going back out, and the climb up the Big Old Sluice. IF that is the hill I am thinking of, there was only one year that I made the climb non-stop on first attempt. dirt covered rocks ...

I am not sure what the names are of the climbs we did.   We started at Loon lake,  went thru Rubicon Springs,  and came out the other side.    I think I do know which one was Big Sluice,  and I did manage that one non-stop.   I think there is video of that in Jpet's and RickG's postings.  
The only time I needed a tug was on 2nd day going toward's Rubicon Springs.  I was in one of those "crossed-up" situations with one front tire, and the opposite rear tire,  stuffed up into fender.   My front E-locker was not engaging,  and could not go forward or back. 

The SM420 must have been a real "treat" for easing-through the tight-spots.
Nor did I see it hanging down below your jeep. As you mentioned your skid plates took a beating. a beat-up skid plate is better than none. :-)
So overall, what do you think of the 420 shifting and gear-ratios ? 

What I found was that with open front diff and worn-out limited-slip rear I was able to ease through lots of tricky spots just because of the super low gearing of the T-18 which is really "easy" on running gear and clutches.
The 69:1 low gear is definitely nice.   A few times,  for comparison I went thru rock piles in 1st gear (#2 on shift knob Wink ), low range. .  With this drivetrain,  that would be 35:1,  close to stock low-low.   It seemed way too fast, bouncing/banging along.  I mentioned to my co-pilot that this is what it would be like, the whole trip, without the granny low. Ouch

Crawling is great,  but higher up - > the spacing between gears seems wide,  both on and off-road.   I guess there is no way around that with a "1st" gear of 3.6 in a "3-speed".     There are big gaps when you can only shift twice between 3.6:1 and 1:1

Overall though,  I don't think I will change anything.   I sometimes think I would like to try 4.10 gears in axles,  but cruising down the road with 3.73's is so nice!

And I guess that re-purposed jerry-can rack worked out ok too ?

The jerry-can never fell off.  LOL   and I did need to use some of the gas,  so glad I had the extra.

Get that firewood in for the winter !    hahahaha

Done !    (partly because it took me so long to reply,  that I had some time since then) LOL

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 2:05am
Weather turned cold,  and exposed 2 issues with Wilson.

First, the choke . .    Long story, but on the replacement engine, I could not easily use the stock (exhaust-heated) choke.   I never really liked it anyway, and wanted to convert to manual.   I did not have much luck searching for a manual conversion,  but in searching, I came across an electric choke conversion.   Installed it a couple days ago,  and it works great!

Second,  mysterious "no-spark".    In past winters,  I have had random times when Wilson would not start if temps got into 20's,  I always assumed that it got flooded or something,  until one time I checked for spark, and there was none.  I got a new module, and it seemed to fix it,  but because it was random and intermittent,  I never really knew for sure.     On a recent cold morning it would not start  . . first thing I did was check for spark,  and there was none.

This past summer,  on the Rubicon Trip,  Wilson mysteriously cut off, and would not start,  no spark.  In BobW's trouble-shooting,  he mentioned that it is somewhat common for the pickup coil to intermittently not function correctly,  due to broken wires,  internal to the insulation.  The wires are flexed when the advance moves back and forth,  and the wires can fatigue and break.     I am thinking the cold weather makes the issue worse.  . .   I ordered a new pickup coil.  

Hoping that Wilson will now consistently start when temps drop to 20's

edit:  as reminder,  Wilson is running Rochester 2GC carburetor and GM HEI distributor.

Edited by JeepFever - 26 Nov. 2018 at 2:19am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 2:29pm
I just remembered another reason I thought about trying the electric choke.    The choke cable on Wilson was stuck.   I could not pull it out at all.   After soaking in penetrating oil,  it has started moving,  but can only get it to pull out about 3/4" so far.   In case I ever do want to go manual one day,  I think I will keep trying to work it loose.   

Should the cable eventually pull all the way out,   or is there a designed stop?   
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 3:11pm
If there's a kink on the end of the cable, and there usually is, you won't be able to pull it past the kink. 
Other than that, it's just a smooth cable, actually more like a thin rod, inside a lumpy sheath. 

If you have extra length, you can cut both the cable and the sheath with some side cut pliers. Cut the cable 1st, then pull it back into the sheath and then cut the sheath. 

Most of your local chain auto parts stores will have a  universal choke cable on their misc widgets wall that are cut to size. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>