Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Ron, I watched Jeff's video from Rausch Creek a few days ago now and I was very impressed with Wilson's ability in the rocks. The slow idle of the Dauntless and the SM420 appears to make a really sweat combo. Makes me even more excited about my SM420 swap I'm currently working on. What do you have for a final crawl ratio? I could go back and read through the thread but I guess I'm too lazy.  

I understand about not wanting to look back thru the pages Smile

Currently at 69:1   . .   7.06 x 2.62 x 3.73    tranny x xfer x diff

Edited by JeepFever - 14 June 2019 at 2:08pm
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Ron, I watched Jeff's video from Rausch Creek a few days ago now and I was very impressed with Wilson's ability in the rocks. The slow idle of the Dauntless and the SM420 appears to make a really sweat combo. Makes me even more excited about my SM420 swap I'm currently working on. What do you have for a final crawl ratio? I could go back and read through the thread but I guess I'm too lazy.  

I understand about not wanting to look back thru the pages Smile

Currently at 69:1   . .   7.06 x 2.62 x 3.73    tranny x xfer x diff

I will be just a bit lower with my 4.89 ratio.

7.05 x 2.46 x 4.89 = 84.80 (85:1)

Did you ever get your floor patched back together? I'm thinking I will source a M38 transmission/bell housing cover to modify on mine. That would give a person a lot more room to work on things from up above.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 3:40pm
I asked about the brand because I believe the STA'a make the tallest 7.50 x 16" NDT.
I'm really not surprized at all with NDT grip in the rocks.
I still think they are the coolest tire ever for a Willys rock crawler.
The Nato tires would be way cool too but no 7.50 x 16's to be found.

I've always claimed NDT's are an excellent rock tire and not bad as a forestry service tire either.
About the only rock exception will be moss cover creek boulders.
They are by far the best tire ever on loose creek gravel roads.
They never pick up a stone.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 4:10pm
It's interesting that the STA 750-16s are advertised to be 32.5 diameter and show the smaller lug pattern like the 700-16s. I have even seen old pictures of such a tire but I have searched high and low and made many phone calls. Today, all STA and Firestone 750-16 NDTs have the same tread pattern. Large lugs and 31.6 diameter. I wish I could get a tire with the smaller lugs and 32.5 diameter and I suspect that they made them at one time which would explain the discrepancy in their description at Coker, Universal Tire, and so on but the manufacturers claim that it has always been the same mold from day one

Edited by jpet - 14 June 2019 at 4:12pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 4:15pm
Firestone advertised as 31.6:
https://www.universaltire.com/firestone-tires/firestone-military/750-16-firestone-military-ndt.html

STA advertised at 32.5:
https://www.universaltire.com/750-16-sta-military-ndt.html

but if you buy them, they both have identical tread. Large lugs and 31.6 diameter.

Would love to find the smaller lugs in a 750.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 10:34pm
Jeff that's interesting .
I was definitely planning to get a set of the 7.50 x 16" STA's  for my crawler build.
I have a set of the 7.50 x 16 STA Super Traxions and those definitely measure over 32" tall.
I forget what I measured them at... I think it was 32.7".

Edited by oldtime - 14 June 2019 at 10:39pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 3:59am

Did you ever get your floor patched back together? I'm thinking I will source a M38 transmission/bell housing cover to modify on mine. That would give a person a lot more room to work on things from up above.

85:1 should work really well for "rock crawling",  . . less riding-the-brakes when dropping off rocks, etc. . . . .   55-60mph might be a little "busy".  Wink   If you do not drive far on road much,  then 4.89 should work out good.

No progress on finishing tranny cover Cry    During the build,  I cut out the floor to the same dimensions as M38.  I love the access it gives to drivetrain.   For example,  I kept the stock clutch linkage, (bellcrank and cable).   with the cover removed,  I can adjust the clutch from the driver seat. LOL

For now,  I have a M-38 repo cover,  (cut out to clear the SM420),  then a piece of carpeting to cover the remaining hole .   It is ugly/tacky,  but actually kinda functional.   The carpet keeps heat out when weather is warm,  but is easy to remove if cold outside. LOL  If cold,  it is nice to have that flow of heat coming up.

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 3:45am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

85:1 should work really well for "rock crawling",  . . less riding-the-brakes when dropping off rocks, etc. . . . .   55-60mph might be a little "busy".  Wink   If you do not drive far on road much,  then 4.89 should work out good.

No progress on finishing tranny cover Cry    During the build,  I cut out the floor to the same dimensions as M38.  I love the access it gives to drivetrain.   For example,  I kept the stock clutch linkage, (bellcrank and cable).   with the cover removed,  I can adjust the clutch from the driver seat. LOL

For now,  I have a M-38 repo cover,  (cut out to clear the SM420),  then a piece of carpeting to cover the remaining hole .   It is ugly/tacky,  but actually kinda functional.   The carpet keeps heat out when weather is warm,  but is easy to remove if cold outside. LOL  If cold,  it is nice to have that flow of heat coming up.

Where did you source the M38 cover? I haven't had much luck finding one yet. 

With my 4.89 gears I run roughly 2700rpm at 55 and around 3000 rpm at 60. I must admit that 45-50 mph is much more comfortable only turning a round 2000 rpm.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 4:15am

Where did you source the M38 cover? I haven't had much luck finding one yet. 

With my 4.89 gears I run roughly 2700rpm at 55 and around 3000 rpm at 60. I must admit that 45-50 mph is much more comfortable only turning a round 2000 rpm.

Mine is a repo from Walcks.   I actually bought it for another project,  but stole it for Wilson.

https://walcks4wd.com/lower-bolt-in-transmission-floor-cover-plate-assembly-1950-1971-m38-m38a1-cj5-cj6.html

An interesting note at bottom of page  - >   "does not fit CJ5/6 with 4 speed".   If those can be found,  I wonder if they are high enough to clear a SM420?    I imagine it depends on how high the SM420 is stuffed up into cab.   I doubt it would clear mine,  but might be a better starting point?

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 5:25pm
I was looking for some rock-crawling photos to post in local Jeep group.  My most recent ones would be from Jpet's video,  so I was looking for stills from that.

This is not one of the best looking shots,  but I thought it was interesting to show the tire wrapping around a rock.
edit: running around 12psi

This is a kinda pretty one,   and shows front tire at full stuff.    (It looks in photo like it is rubbing hard,  but there are only very small witness marks on Wilson's inner fenders, on all 4 corners)

Edited by JeepFever - 26 June 2019 at 5:44pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 3:20am
Nice pics Ron.
I’m always trying to get people to air down when they go out with me.
This is just another witness that it works. Still some people are reluctant.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 3:52am
Airing down tubeless radials for terrain like the Rubicon doesn't help if you drop the pressure enough to actually lose axle clearance.

Tube type bias tires improve more when aired down, and don't split like radials due to cross plies. As long as you are prepared to fix a snagged tube, I agree with Stan's observation.
JeepN95YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepN95YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 4:24am
I disagree that airing down radials doesn't help. Even if you do lose a little clearance the extra traction is worth the compromise.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 5:11am
Doing any good trail such as the Rubicon most of us would air down to 10 PSI. What a difference in traction. Huge difference in dune running as well.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 12:03pm
Grandpa’s Jeep and Wilson rock the NDTs!! Stan and Ron are the guys who bring a knife to a gun fight .... and win!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 4:46am
Finally starting to finish the floor.  The tranny has been in place for over a year now,  it seems to work well where it is located,  so not likely to move it.

As mentioned before,  I cut out the floor to dimensions of M38 cover.  Lots of opening to access the tranny etc. from above.   . . .    for the new floor, I made a "bow" out of 11 ga. down the middle . . it will help support the right front corner of driver seat.  From that,  I will add a pieced together cover over the tranny.  To the rear of the bow,  will be solid welded in floor,  with clearance over the D300, and the speedometer cable.

Rear of the bow will be solid.   Forward of the bow will be 3-piece removable cover.   It will be made from a cut-up M38 cover, and other various sections of floor and shaped sheet metal.    Not an easy task,  but hopefully not too bad.

Some of the tentative starting pieces:

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:04am
Jigsaw puzzle time.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Jigsaw puzzle time.  Smile

Perfect description! 

I thought I would make some good progress today,  because I took 1/2 day vacation.  About the point I made some decisions on how to proceed,  I got a call from Father-in-law that a pipe had started leaking badly in crawl-space of house,  and was hoping I could come fix it.    My afternoon was shot.  Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>