Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 26>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 4:40am
Making the stinking trans cover was the hardest part of my 4 speed swap! Haha! I don’t like sheet metal work! Lol!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2019 at 1:46am
I finally got a chance to work on floor today.   One of the reasons we all love sheetmetal work is that we can spend hours, and hardly make any progress. LOL  (me at least)

After several attempts of measuring, bending, cutting, grinding, spot welding,  then deciding I didn't like it . .   I ripped it out,  started over, and tried again. Ouch    Making compound bends is not easy. haha

In the final design,  I used the 1/8" thick cross piece, as always planned,  but added a .09 side leg,  Then attached some sheet metal to that.
    I had to cut the cross piece in half.  This was the only way I could get the welded the tool box floor past the transfer case.

Spot welded test fit.

Still need to do some "trim" pieces around the outsides,  finish welding,  and make a seat "perch".  

Edited by JeepFever - 06 Oct. 2019 at 1:49am
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2019 at 2:03am
I feel your pain Ron! I hate sheet metal work. That’s why I did mine right away just so I could be done with it. I did get my shift boots installed today finally so I can officially consider it done.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2019 at 4:51am
Shift boots!  I am a long way from there.  LOL

One thing that I noticed in yours and Millennium Falcon's build is that neither of you had to modify the floor other than where the shift cover was.   As seen above,  I had to cut out the floor behind that.

It had me wondering what the difference was?   One definite reason:

1) in measuring today,  the Dana 300 is "taller" than Dana 18/20 . .  approx. 1"  . .  this is measuring from centerline of output shaft to top of mounting flange.

And a possibility?:

2) is mine stuffed higher?   The lowest point of transmission case (at the drain plug) is a little less than 3" below the frame rails.   This was as high as I felt comfortable,  without risking other issues.  It put my custom crossmember about 3/4" higher than stock.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Shift boots!  I am a long way from there.  LOL

One thing that I noticed in yours and Millennium Falcon's build is that neither of you had to modify the floor other than where the shift cover was.   As seen above,  I had to cut out the floor behind that.

It had me wondering what the difference was?   One definite reason:

1) in measuring today,  the Dana 300 is "taller" than Dana 18/20 . .  approx. 1"  . .  this is measuring from centerline of output shaft to top of mounting flange.

And a possibility?:

2) is mine stuffed higher?   The lowest point of transmission case (at the drain plug) is a little less than 3" below the frame rails.   This was as high as I felt comfortable,  without risking other issues.  It put my custom crossmember about 3/4" higher than stock.

I didn't want to have to get into cutting the floor for the transfer case so I have mine sitting about 1/8" below the floor. I was able to use the stock crossmember bolted direct to the frame without any spacers. Previously my crossmember was spaced down in order to get a better driveline angle which was unnecessary. With my lift and tires I have 15.25" ground clearance to the bottom of my skid plate. Maybe one of these days if I get bored I will try to shove it farther north.... for now it is fine.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2019 at 1:31pm
Ron, yeah yours looks a lot higher up than mine. I lost about 1/2” of ground clearance over stock. Not ideal but it did make my tunnel cover easier to make. 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 2:55am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

With my lift and tires I have 15.25" ground clearance to the bottom of my skid plate.

That sounds darn good . .  just measured Wilson's, and it is 12.5"

Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Ron, yeah yours looks a lot higher up than mine. I lost about 1/2” of ground clearance over stock. Not ideal but it did make my tunnel cover easier to make. 

Only losing 1/2" is not bad at all,  considering how much larger these big 4-speeds are compared to T-90
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 3:15am
Wilson got booted from the garage, because I need to do some work on daily driver.    I did not get nearly as much done as hoped,  but accomplished main goal -> to provide support for the right-front leg of driver seat.    (After all the welding was done,  that cross piece was very sturdy, and provided a mounting point).
Hope to continue the top cover soon  . .  (the even more complicated jigsaw puzzle).  LOL

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2020 at 1:46am
Wilson has never had a rack for gas can or spare tire, until Rubicon a couple years ago.   At the time,  I had to do something quickly,  and re-purposed a homemade rack I pulled off front of Bantam trailer.

Even though is it rough,  I plan to continue to use it.   I thought about trying to modify a swinging rack from CJ-7,  but decided I would rather have one mounted to frame,  rather than tub.   This old thing needed some mods though, to accept a 7.50 x 16 tire.

The tire mount was too close to frame,  a 7.50 tire would hit frame before the lug nuts would poke thru the wheel holes.   The mount was also too close to the gas can,  a 32" tire would hit the can.

Below is "before" photo,  (except that I had already cut off the can mount).   The rectangle is the frame I started with.   I added the tabs at tailgate chains,  and the legs at bottom going to Jeep frame.

Below shows the gas-can bracket moved to the left,  and the new tire mount.  Two vertical angle irons are welded to frame,  Wilson's original tire mount is bolted to the angles.  Everything is just tacked up at this point,  until I decide if I like the placement of everything.

The gas-can and tire installed.  That is not full-size spare,  but I did test to make sure the 7.50 would fit.   Maybe one day I will get a 5th matching tire.

Next I am thinking of how to mount a hi-lift jack

Edited by JeepFever - 12 Mar. 2020 at 1:52am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 3:24am
The tire rack is not finished,  but at least will hold a gas can and tire if we ever need it.   I decided to switch projects, and try to get a tranny cover done.    Several months ago I modified the floor from the transfercase back,  and built a solid mount for the right front of seat.

Today I started on the floor and tranny cover . . forward of the transfer case.   Reminder that I cut out the floor to dimensions of M38,  which gives a bunch of access to drive train from the top if needed.

As Ol'Unreliable said a few months ago ->  Jigsaw puzzle time!   LOL

I must have started and stopped a dozen times,  but this is the beginnings of the design I think I am going with.  Some of the front is spot welded up,  and the rear is mocked up with some pieces held together with magnets.

A wider view after tacking up the rear . .  basically building from outside in  . .   and inside out  . . filling in between.     I have rudimentary skills,  but hopefully it will turn out looking decent.     

I am hoping to make it look somewhat like the factory would have done in M38 if it had a SM420 and D300, stuffed up into the floor.

It will be a five piece cover,  that can be removed fairly easily.

Edited by JeepFever - 27 Mar. 2020 at 3:28am
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 11:21pm
It's coming along; not bad so far!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 12:27am
Looking good.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:03am
Hi Ron!  I really appreciated the welcome from you when I first jumped in here.  I looked for your build thread and just finished it from the start.  WOW!  Awesome build!  Plus Wilson is almost exactly what I am hoping to shoot for.  All the information you have shared is really helping me narrow my choices.  Lots of decisions - hoping to get it right the first time!  Also I am really impressed at how easy you make everything look in the videos.  The right combination of man and machine!  Can't wait to meet you and Wilson at the Spring reunion!  
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

Hi Ron!  I really appreciated the welcome from you when I first jumped in here.  I looked for your build thread and just finished it from the start.  WOW!  Awesome build!  Plus Wilson is almost exactly what I am hoping to shoot for.  All the information you have shared is really helping me narrow my choices.  Lots of decisions - hoping to get it right the first time!  Also I am really impressed at how easy you make everything look in the videos.  The right combination of man and machine!  Can't wait to meet you and Wilson at the Spring reunion!  

It is always cool to see new guys come to forum.  Especially with your enthusiasm.   Thanks for compliments on Wilson's build.  I am a little humbled compared to some of the high quality builds on this site. Embarrassed

If you read from beginning to end,  then you saw a lot of indecision and change of direction.  In the end, I went with most of the parts I had collected over the years.  If I was starting totally from scratch I might have done different (not sure what LOL)  but I don't regret how it turned out.  

One thing I would love to be able to click my fingers and try,  (but reverse if I did not like),  would be to change axle gears to maybe 4.10.   I really like the 3.73 when on the open road.  Cruising at 55-60, with the engine just loafing along, is so nice.   But I don't like the big gap between gears.  I think I mentioned in this thread before,  that is unavoidable when going from 7:1 to 1:1 in three shifts.Wink 
I know what 4:10's would feel like on the open road,  because they would be similar to my previous setup with 5:38's and overdrive. (a little too much RPM),  but the gaps might feel a little less severe,  and a lower crawl offroad would be nice!   

Can't wait to meet you also,  hopefully in May,  although that might be doubtful with the way things seem to be going. Confused
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 3:22am
Hush your mouth Ron! 😆 haha.... everything will be back to normal by then and we will all be hanging out and swapping Jeep stories in May! 😊 
Sithinstructor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sithinstructor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 3:25am
Tunnel looks great. I also like your top, and since you don't need the bows, the clever ax placement. Thumbs Up
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Hush your mouth Ron! 😆 haha.... everything will be back to normal by then and we will all be hanging out and swapping Jeep stories in May! 😊 

I hope so!!!   and I think I am one of the most optimistic about the situation,  but I keep getting prove wrong. Confused    I have to work from home until mid-April,  and with today's announcements, I suspect more like end of month . . .   that is getting mighty close to mid-May.

If original date,  I will be there.  Smile
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Sithinstructor Sithinstructor wrote:

Tunnel looks great. I also like your top, and since you don't need the bows, the clever ax placement. Thumbs Up

That top is 25+ years old.  Hope I don't jinx anything,  but I am amazed it is still surviving.  Shocked

I have had Wilson over 30 years,  back before the days of Internet, and so much available info.   Back then, I knew that "Army" Jeeps had tool holders,  and my ax fit,  so I assumed that is what it was for.  LOL   I have used it many times on trails. Smile   

Thank for comments!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 26>