Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

. . . Thankfully synthetic  held OK when jpet winched us up at Southington!

Shhh . .  not supposed to publicize that we got winched LOL . .   but then that is what happens when we try to follow jPet. Wink     

Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I think you'll really the synthetic line.  It would be a really good idea to spool the line under a pretty fair load - especially the first couple of courses.  I hook to the telephone pole at the end of my driveway and pull it uphill.  Couple clicks on the E-brake works too.  You just can't get enough resistance by hand for those first rows.

Today walked into my woods to see what pull might be the best for this task.   The steeper ones are not 100ft  . . .   but like you mention ->  50-60ft should get the first couple wraps tight.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2020 at 5:04am
I did a little searching on how to install/pre-tension synthetic line.   After reading thru several opinions,  my current thoughts are to start the wrap under moderate load the first 10 revolutions or so,  then apply higher load to complete the first layer.   One suggestion I saw said that synthetic rope should be installed in a criss/cross fashion at approx 30 degrees.  That seems to make sense to me, to virtually eliminate burying outer layers into lower ones.  That is my plan,  unless someone can say that is bad idea.  

ie.  first course will be left to right, tight against each other,   the second and following courses will be criss/crossed at approx 30 degrees, under fairly high load.  
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I did a little searching on how to install/pre-tension synthetic line.   After reading thru several opinions,  my current thoughts are to start the wrap under moderate load the first 10 revolutions or so,  then apply higher load to complete the first layer.   One suggestion I saw said that synthetic rope should be installed in a criss/cross fashion at approx 30 degrees.  That seems to make sense to me, to virtually eliminate burying outer layers into lower ones.  That is my plan,  unless someone can say that is bad idea.  

ie.  first course will be left to right, tight against each other,   the second and following courses will be criss/crossed at approx 30 degrees, under fairly high load.  

I've never heard of the criss cross method. But it certainly makes sense and seems like a solid idea. As mentioned prior - the weight of the Jeep up an incline has always worked for me. 

My first synthetic line was installed in 07. I broke it once. But that was really user error. We spliced it together and continued on. I just replaced that line last year. I split it and made two extensions. I'd say I got my money's worth. 

I'm a huge fan of the synthetic line! You're going to love it! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:02am
It has been a while since posting in this thread,  not a lot of changes to Wilson until now.

Back when I was in crunch time with drivetrain upgrades for Rubicon Trip,  I ordered a front driveshaft from Tom Woods.    When it arrived,  I could see that it was too large of diameter to work in Wilson.   When installed that collar is adjacent to starter.   Wilson already had rubbing issues with modified CJ-7 shaft.

It did not dawn on me, until now,  that some mods made to Wilson over past couple years increased that clearance.

1) new springs
2) shims to increase caster in front axle (which also lowered the pinion)
3) new motor mounts that raised engine

In a test fit,  there appears to be enough clearance now.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:58am
Good deal! Smile

My luck does not run that way. I am glad that yours does at least this time.Approve
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 2:28pm
Turn the shaft around. Doesn't hurt a thing.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

Turn the shaft around. Doesn't hurt a thing.

That was one of the first things I was considering,  years ago,   but the clearance with SM420 hump was even worse on that end.  Ouch
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 5:20pm
Installed the driveshaft took for test spin.   Did fine on road,  even ran it as Front wheel drive with twin stick up to 60 mph.    Then took in on some twisty trails at my son's property,  and ended up on this rock pile.

No rubbing at all !

Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:52pm
Hi Ron!  Glad to see Wilson is in fine form with the new drive shaft.  I too have been slow to post progress on my thread - of course there's all those wasted hours between midnight and 6am... LOL.  I need to get caught up.  Hope to see you in action at Southington this week!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2022 at 10:10pm
I would rather just drive,  and not work on vehicles,   but Wilson got to the point I had to do something recently.   Most of the time it ran fine,  but occasionally,  with no real pattern . . it would run poorly, mostly at idle,  or slightly above.  A couple weeks ago, it got really bad.  (occasionally)

Time for a "tune up" . . but more than that,  building spares.  In 2018 on Rubicon,  Wilson suddenly died while twisted up on rocks.  It is a SCARY feeling to be in middle of nowhere and your Jeep does not run!!  BobW had diagnosed that it most likely was the pickup-coil in distributor.  (for those not familiar,  Wilson is running 225 Dauntless with HEI) . . oddly when we winched it off the rocks,  it started up fine, and had no issues for months. 

Still, I did not trust that distributer after that,  and rather than just replace the pickup,  I decided to get a spare distributor, and installed that.

So now 4 years later,  it am finally putting my "spare" plan into effect, while trying to solve the recent random poor running.    I disassembled the former "Rubicon" distributor and put a new pickup coil in it.  It is now in Wilson,  along with new spark plug wires.   That did not fix the occasional rough running.  So I rebuilt a spare 2GC carb, that I acquired years ago, and installed that.

ie. Wilson now has "rebuilt" distributor and "rebuilt" carb.  Seems to be running fine for now,  but we will see if it solves the random rough running.

edit: the former fully complete distributor and carb,  will be available in future, as spares to carry during long distance trips.

Edited by JeepFever - 21 Nov. 2022 at 12:10am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2022 at 10:36pm
Concerning the carb,  I probably should just do a 2150 conversion,  but will continue with 2GC for now.  

I never tried to tune a carb with jets and power-valves before.  How can we tell what is ideal?   I recently purchased a vacuum gauge.  Currently Wilson reads 18 at low idle and 21-22 at higher rpm.   (That is all in the "green" range on this gauge).    I have not tried turning the idle mix screws yet,  but from what little I read,  I should adjust those for highest vacuum?
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2022 at 11:08pm
I did not want to complicate the "spare" post,  but I am thinking that some of the random craziness may have had something to do with a random leak from the cross-over exhaust flow into the intake bores in the intake manifold.

Wilson has a transplanted 225 Dauntless from '68 Jeep Commando.  This engine had a choke that was heated from exhaust that crossed thru the intake.   It never seemed to work that well for me,  so a few years ago, I removed all of the valve components from exhaust manifold,  and replaced the choke actuator on carb with an electric one.   That worked great,  but at that time I did not do anything to limit the exhaust from entering intake manifold crossover port.     Hard to describe,  but I am wondering if there could have been some kind of leak,  especially after warming up.  The crossover gases were very close to intake bores.

Recently, I blocked the passages,  so now there is no way there can be any leaks from exhaust, into intake flow.

Edited by JeepFever - 20 Nov. 2022 at 11:18pm
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2023 at 7:52pm
Hey JeepFever    Question about your Jeep top.  What brand name is it and how do you have it fastened to the windshield?   I can send you a PM if you would like me to. 

Thank, Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2023 at 10:20pm
Unfortunately, I don't think this top is available today,   I got it over 30 years ago.

It has a tag ->   Kayline,  Denver CO

It fastens to the windshield frame with the stock "twist-turn" fasteners.   This thing is AMAZING that it has survived all these years.   It was obviously made from quality materials!

If it ever fails,  I plan to duplicate the pattern in a homemade top,  but luckily for me it never seems to wear out.  Smile
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 11:31am
Good morning JeepFever.  Do you think that top is the same size as a Cj5 top? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2023 at 9:33pm
I recently bought a '42 MB that somebody long ago modified with parts very similar to Wilson.  It's been sitting in a barn for 20 years though, and I need to wake it back up.

Question:  Are you happy with the 3.73 axle ratio?   Any further thoughts on going a little deeper?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2023 at 9:17am
It does not seem that long,  but looks like it has been approx 5 years running this combination.

Yes,  I am happy with the 3.73 axle ratio.   I do drive on the road frequently,  and ratio seems just about ideal for that.    For off-roading,  particularly rock crawling,  it would be nice to have lower than 69:1,  but the Dauntless can idle over almost anything,  so ground speed is not that bad.  Many times I will actually apply the brakes, while idling in the rocks,  and it does not stall.

I sometimes think that if I could click my fingers and change to 4:10,   it would be interesting to try,   but doubtful that I will ever put the time and money into that.    (if changing back to 3.73 was another click,  then maybe) LOL     I would not go any deeper than 4:10,   because of the amount of time that Wilson spends going 55 mph
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2023 at 10:25am
IMHO 3.73 FDR is ideal for jeep road use if you have enough horse power and you don’t have the option of installing an overdrive.
Example:Dauntless with a Dana 20.

Edited by oldtime - 10 Oct. 2023 at 10:26am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>