Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

day trip to the ranch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: day trip to the ranch
    Posted: 10 Nov. 2019 at 1:35am
I took a little day trip to the ranch today; no serious hunting just piddlin around. Burned a brush pile, filled a feeder and made a loop around the place in the jeep. I got to the far back corner and started experiencing an intermittant miss. Not just a miss really, cutting on and off. I limped back and managed to get it on the trailer. Once back home, and after a real pain getting it off the trailer and in the garage, I did some investigating. Ultimately I found a small half circle of black plastic by the terminal screw that passes through the distributor body. I suspect it's part of an insulating washer that must have broken and is letting the terminal short out intermittantly. I'll pull it out and investigate asap. Wish me luck, if I'm on the right track it should be a simple fix.

James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2019 at 1:49am
A good looking red Jeep.  Feeding turkeys, deer or cows?  That would be doing work with your Jeep and having a good time while you are out.  

Proverbs 3: 5,6 is one of my favorites. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2019 at 1:57am
White tail deer, the regular season started a week ago here. Occasionally and unintentially it's cows; the naughty ones will break into the feed pens and of course we're overrun with feral pigs.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 8:53am
“...overrun with feral pigs.”

<————Have gun (and jeeps), will travel.

😉
Rick
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 2:27pm
Ha - You'd be welcome Rick, I'd love to get a look at your famous jeep, but I'm afraid you'd be in for a big disapointment driving all the way from Amarillo when you saw what we call "the ranch". It's really just a small property we use for a recreational get away, a 100 acres that you can drive around in 15 minutes. I had the jeep out there yesterday though, and my nephew shot a small sow late in the afternoon.

Point of interest maybe, we're only a few miles down the road from the YO ranch. They used to host some pretty big, organized off roading events. I don't know if they do anymore, the family in recent years has suffered some significant set backs.

Edited by oldscot3 - 17 Nov. 2019 at 2:29pm
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 5:16pm
YO Ranch, guess that would put you somewhere south of Junction, nice country. You don't need a lot of acreage If you are next to a big ranch with low fences. You just have to feed better than they do. Up here at Midland we have to go south for the decent hunting.   
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 12:13am
Yep deuce, you're right. We've had our place getting close to forty years now. We use to have so many deer they were practically stunted. We used all the tags we had and got all our boys to use all theirs to try to thin the numbers. We killed a lot of deer and ate a lot of venison in every way you could fix it. Then some of nearby properties begin to sell and it seemed like every new owner put up new high fence. Now, years later, we're really starting to see the effect. Much fewer deer, however the ones we have do look better to me. 

I still love to go out there just to get away from town. It's quiet and at night dark and starry. We shoot a few does and cull the puny looking bucks but I definetly eat more beef these days.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 6:40am
Ahh, ‘tis true that’s a long ways for me to shoot a pig, but maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere and find a place to go Jeeping.  I tried out the Northwest OHV Park at Bridgeport, Tx. this summer and it was fun.  All different types of trails and levels of difficulty.  Will probably try to organize something there again next year.  Keep an eye out for a posting on it next year.

My Videos
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 2:22pm
Someone has apparently opened up an offroad park near Marble Falls. My cousin was there two weeks ago for some big event. I'll have to ask him for details and post it here.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 2:31pm
PS looked it up, they have a website. 2100 acres, $25.00 to drive it, $15 a passenger. It's called Hidden Falls. They say they have varying levels of challenge. I'll ask my cousin what he thought about the place.
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 3:06pm
Jason and I would be up for the drive at Bridgeport if it comes together. Hidden Falls also looks like it might have great possibilities. You might even be able to interest Tumbleweed showing up!
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 1:15am
Hey, I have a question about carrying my five year old grandson. Do these offroad venues have rules about roll bars and child seats, etc. Of course I wouldn't take a trail with him aboard if there was the least bit of roll over danger. But if child seats are a requirement for any trail, I'm going to have to fabricate some kind of back seat that will hold one. Ya'll know anything about that?
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 1:58am
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Hey, I have a question about carrying my five year old grandson. Do these offroad venues have rules about roll bars and child seats, etc. Of course I wouldn't take a trail with him aboard if there was the least bit of roll over danger. But if child seats are a requirement for any trail, I'm going to have to fabricate some kind of back seat that will hold one. Ya'll know anything about that?

The rules on safety equipment seem to vary every park I go to. I will say I have never seen any rules about child’s car seats but I’m not saying there isn’t a park that doesn’t have a rule about it. All a guy can do is call the park ahead of time and check. I have found you can’t rely on what they have for rules on their website being up to date.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 2:56am
Back in my younger days I ran around with a crowd of jet boat enthusiasts. All those boats had seating made of plywood that was foam padded and upholstered over. They looked good and were reasonably comfy. I may use that construction style and build a back seat that custom fits the rear area but can be easily removed when not needed.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 5:36am
I have strapped my grandson’s car seat in with ratchet straps before I had the rear seat belts installed.  The car seat was sitting on the rear seat, however, and not just in the back.  It was plenty safe and secure.  Like Alan said, every park is different and they are all slowly requiring more and more safety items.  You would just have to call the individual park and see what their requirements are.  

My Videos
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 5:58pm
That's a definite will do... I don't want to travel only to be turned away. 
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Ha - You'd be welcome Rick, I'd love to get a look at your famous jeep, but I'm afraid you'd be in for a big disapointment driving all the way from Amarillo when you saw what we call "the ranch". It's really just a small property we use for a recreational get away, a 100 acres that you can drive around in 15 minutes. I had the jeep out there yesterday though, and my nephew shot a small sow late in the afternoon.

Point of interest maybe, we're only a few miles down the road from the YO ranch. They used to host some pretty big, organized off roading events. I don't know if they do anymore, the family in recent years has suffered some significant set backs.

LOL "a small 100 acre property".  Here in So. Cal. we call 100 acres a HOUSING TRACT for  500 homes!  (costing 50-100 MILLION)

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2019 at 12:04am
LOL "a small 100 acre property".  Here in So. Cal. we call 100 acres a HOUSING TRACT for  500 homes!  (costing 50-100 MILLION)

Wink  And here in NE Colo. we call a 100 acre fire “not really started yet “. BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>