Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deleting post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deleting post
    Posted: 13 Nov. 2020 at 10:19am
Can we add a simple way to delete ads in the classified section after item has sold?

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 7:09pm
Jeff, I agree.
Moderators : is there some reason why we cannot delete our old wtb and fs postings ? If we cannot access for deletions then these postings should have a time limit put on them.
Like a 1 month auto delete.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 7:45pm
If it's your post all you have to do is go to the original post, hit edit and erase the subject line and then erase the body of the post.

For it to take the deletion you will have to put a period (or some other character) in each place.

(I know that's not what you had in mind but it will remove the subject therefore cancelling any questions regarding your post.....that way, in forum maintenance moderators could see the subject vacated and maybe delete the placeholder/ thread)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 8:17pm
Thanks Chad that’s a good idea!
I’m not really even sure who or how many moderaters we have here. Maybe they will read this and comment.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 11:31pm
Ken, I tried it before I posted just to make sure.

Go to page 9 of the WTB (I guess it shows up the same for every body dunno...anyway if not my post was April 13 about halfway down pg. 9 ) and you'll be able to see what I did.

After I edited it I thought it deleted the posted replies too but then I realized I'm not sure whether there were any replies in that thread or not.....so it may even do that too, not sure.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 12:07am
Yeah Chad that’s certainly a lot better than nuttin’.
I can see where your old post was, but I can’t click onto it.
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 12:17am
... ....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 12:23am
There is a delete Post option in the drop down but it goes away after so long
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 12:41am
Thanks Art, I’ll look for it when needed.
If you can get into the moderator control panel, then go into that part of the forum and see if there is an option for “auto delete” after a select given time.
Zero aftermarket parts

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 12:49am
Wish I could - I'm locked to only Moderate the Bantam Trailer Area - not the whole Forum.

I go in and periodically delete old trailer ads and those that link to expired Craigslist/eBay Ads.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 1:43am
Given today’s inability to truly make “anonymous postings”; actual moderation has become nearly a thing of the past.
Name calling, ranting and the like we’re the main reasons to moderate and so thankfully we see very little online bickering these days. At least ever since valid names are required to log in.

I think we are only suggesting here that there seems to be no need for saving all of the outdated wtb and fs postings.
Zero aftermarket parts

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 3:54am
Well, I think I just deleted Chads post...
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 4:16am
I don't know which one you're talking about but looks to still be there to me.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 11:42am
You can delete a post until someone else responds. Once someone else participates, technically it’s no longer “your post”, and the other participants may not want their posts deleted. Make sense? The last poster can delete his post, then the next one, etc, etc, eventually when everyone else had deleted their posts, you can delete the entire thread. There may be a time limit to this, I’m not sure.

I don’t know if it is possible to give users permission to delete entire posts. I doubt it, but as I said, once others have contributed, is it fair for the person who started the thread to decide to delete other people’s posts? True, the for sale section is different than other discussions but I’m not sure the forum can be altered to allow deletions in “for sale” but not others.

Is it necessary to delete a for sale post? Some people, like me, might browse through old for sale posts to get an idea of what people charge for a certain item. I’ve had people contact me about a top after reading an old for sale listing. When I was researching my Spen trailer, I looked at old for sale listings on different forums to find contacts.

Moderators don’t delete posts, they hide them. If you post something and decide later to delete it, the post is still out their. The moderators can see it.

If you want “your” posts removed, you can simply edit your post as has been suggested to just leave one character in the post. If you truly want a particular post removed, you can contact a moderator and he will likely “hide” the post, so long as there is not a lot of banter from other people. That being said, it is a forum rule that you should not comment on for sale threads unless your question or comment is relevant to the sale of the item. As far as allowing users to delete or hide posts, it’s a little more complicated than just giving out-right permission.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply