Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delux Harrison Heater W/Defrost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delux Harrison Heater W/Defrost
    Posted: 07 June 2021 at 12:02pm
Hi all,
I just removed my 12 volt standard Harrison heater. I am adding a water valve inline to be able to shut off the water flow to my new heater install. Which line do you install the shut-off valve, the upper or lower one?
Also The new heater i am installing is a Deluxe model Harrison heater, it looks the same as the original except it has a defrost fan on the top. I need to change the motor out on this unit. The old motor is 6volt and shot. I ordered a 12 volt new motor using the old motor as an example and at the time didn't realize that the new heater has two posts one on the bottom for the main heater fan and one on top for the squirrel cage fan for the defrost. So I need to order another motor that has 2 posts. Does anyone know of a part number for this particular heater motor? There is very little information online regarding these heaters, especially a defrost model. Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 1:12pm
No cj’s we’re ever equipped with Jeep approved defrosters prior to model CJ3B.
Do you have pics of your Harrison ?
Sounds to me like it’s a GM heater.
Flatfender CJ’s only used the 669313 Harrison heater prior to 12volt systems in 1958.
The shut off valve is located at rear of head and goes to the lower core nipple.

Edited by oldtime - 07 June 2021 at 1:13pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 2:07pm
There have been others that have adapted the deluxe:

Perhaps one may be able to add to your project.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 2:56pm
Thank you both. I have both types of heaters. but I am still looking for the motor part number to use as a replacement if anyone knows what it might be. Nothing is listed in the forum post provided. I'll post pictures when I figure out how.

Hulagun_51CJ3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hulagun_51CJ3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 12:08am
Ace, Can you share what 12 v motor did u source? I need one for my standard Harrison heater. Thanks
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 3:04am
The NAPA part number for a 12 volt motor to fit the standard heater P/N 655-1022. Not sure what motor would work for the deluxe heater.
Hulagun_51CJ3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hulagun_51CJ3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 6:38am
Thank you
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 10:04pm
Well it has been a while since i posted any progress. I was able to get the Deluxe Heater all torn down, I removed all the rust and cleaned, primed and panted it. I was able to get it all back together and I think it looks pretty good.

ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 10:57pm
These picture are to compare both heaters.
The original one that came with my jeep is the black heater. It is currently 12 volts. The Deluxe heater is 6 volt, so I plan on reducing the voltage to it. 

ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 11:07pm
As you can see the heater core inlet and outlets are at different angles, also the firewall mounts differently.

I plan on actually swapping the bottoms on both heaters and the cores. That way I can just install it without any modifications to the jeep.  The bottoms look to be identical other than the holes for the heater flaps.

r

ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 11:10pm
I had to replace the wire, the brushes and checked the brass bushings. The motor is working great now. This took me several months to complete I wish i took pictures of it before I started.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 4:54pm
Is there a reason that you are not using the "original" 12 volt motor on the freshly rebuilt heater instead of the 6 volt one?

IMHO, It would be easier to swap motors rather than messing with a voltage reducing resister. Heck, you re-bushed the 6 volt motor, you now have experience to re-bush the 12 volt one.
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 7:00pm
Well at first I thought the same as you. I even purchased an additional 12 volt motor identical to the one from my original heater. But after my deluxe heater was purchased and I took it all a part I realized that the motor is totally different. The deluxe heater motor has two shafts on on each end. The jeep heart is on motor does not. It is a single shaft motor. I was unable to source a 12 volt motor with the correct dimensions to replace the six volt one. This is why I rebuilt the motor that came with it and why I am going to just reduce the voltage to it.

Thank you for asking. 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 7:18pm
I feel that a good defroster is a huge plus in an old Jeep. 
You have me considering the install of one of these old GM truck heaters.
How do you plan to reduce voltage to the heater. 
Some kinda ballast resistor ? 
Wonder how many ohms would be required. 
Anyone know ?

Edited by oldtime - 05 Jan. 2022 at 7:20pm
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 7:35pm
I was just going to install a resistor. I am still looking into how exactly 
I have been reading articles similar to this.
I will be hopefully doing this this weekend.
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 7:43pm
I am picking up new grommets from grainger tomorrow to use on the original bottom plate from my jeep Harrison heater. I will be drilling the two 1/2 holes tomorrow that will be used for the heater control flaps. This is the only modification that will be needed to make it work. I already checked the dash clearance, everything should fit tight but still fit.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 7:44pm
Yes but it will have to be large enough to handle the amp draw.
What is the amp rating on your 6 volt motor ?
Zero aftermarket parts

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 8:52pm
My experience back in high school on my CJ 5 that was 12v and a 6 V heater motor was that the heater motor was fine running on high but when you turned the heater to medium or low it would smoke the wire between the resistor and the fan speed switch, I went with a 12v motor after that. Good luck with yours 👍🏽

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>