Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delux Harrison Heater W/Defrost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 10:00pm
I used my multimeter and checked the amperage draw for the motor. It draws 9.32 amps so it must be a 10 amp motor.  
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 9:11am
Nice job restoring the heater! it looks great. 
V=IR
R =6/10 = 3/5 ohm
I believe to halve the voltage you will want a 3/5 ohm resistor in series. I would buy a 1 ohm to slow it down a bit more so it's quieter. Plus 1 ohm resistors are cheap. P=VI so 12V x 5 amps = 60 watts. You'll want a 1 ohm resistor that will handle 60 watts. To spin faster, look for something closer to 3/5 ohms.
You have to figure out a spot to mount it. It will get very hot in operation. 
Hope this helps. 
Regards,
Dean 

Edited by drm101 - 06 Jan. 2022 at 9:13am
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Craig1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 12:36pm
Please continue with updates - I have the same heater, and would like to install it in my jeep.  I was thinking of plumbing the defrost into a roll bar/cross bar with a few slits in front of the driver and passenger.
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 2:08pm
This is the Deluxe heater with the original Jeep Harrison core installed.

This is the bottom of the original Harrison heater that will be installed onto the Deluxe heater when it is cleaned up, rust removed, primed, and painted. The Red dots are where I will be drilling the hole for the heater control flaps. I am waiting to pick up my grommets from Grainger before the holes are drilled. The red area is a 1/4 inch dot representing the 1/4 shaft for the vent that will come through.
This is the original Harrison heater internals.

Edited by ace32107 - 06 Jan. 2022 at 2:09pm
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 2:58pm
So I have been looking into the voltage reduction. I am looking at purchasing either 3 Echlin vt6187 voltage reducers and running them in parallel. These are common items that most Napa parts stores carry.
Or running a VT6187 and a Cole Hersee 68028 Off-Hi-Lo Heater Switch

I am still going back and forth on this.
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 3:03pm
I plan on using the deluxe heater, when installed, on my M38 arctic top. Here are some pictures of the vent setup currently installed on my hardtop.

Edited by ace32107 - 06 Jan. 2022 at 3:28pm
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 3:24pm
This is a picture that I was able to find regarding the Echlin VT6187 Voltage reducer.

If you magnify it, you can see how they can be placed in series and parallel to achieve different amp rating and ohms.
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 3:42pm
DMR101
Thank you for this great input what do you think about using the Cole Hersee Heater switch.

This switch adds 3 OHM coil resistance.  This coupled with a VT6187 I am thinking might just do the trick. What are your thoughts?

Edited by ace32107 - 06 Jan. 2022 at 3:43pm
RamblinCJ3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinCJ3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 10:55am
Is the vent system something you made or sourced from another vehicle?
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 11:32am
Made. 
The vent system is just ABS pipe and some older GM dash vents cut and glued into the ABS the end is just an old round RV vent glued into the end. It is one of type that twists close and open. I need to add a reducer on the down pipe to match the rubber flex hose that will come from the heater. I am also going to make a defrost for my summer windshield. The Arctic top is real easy due to the vertical windshield.

I am working on rust removal sanding and painting the new bottom. I have the part soaking in evaporust. It works fun just have to let it soak for a few days even takes the paint off. Then I his it with a light wire wheel wash it dry it and paint it with self etching primer. For my top coat I spray on the hammer forge rustolium. Seems to look nice, to me at least. 

I was reading Shadows post yesterday. He has the same heater setup and his says Willys and not Chevy. I am thinking of painting it onto the front aluminum plate so it looks like his heater. I like his setup and would love to see more pictures.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 2:18pm
For your install I would use the back plate and heater core out of the standard Harrison heater and transfer it over to the Delux heater, this way the tubing and mounting would just bolt right up, not saying to do this but this is what i would try.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by ace32107 ace32107 wrote:

Made. 
The vent system is just ABS pipe and some older GM dash vents cut and glued into the ABS the end is just an old round RV vent glued into the end. It is one of type that twists close and open. I need to add a reducer on the down pipe to match the rubber flex hose that will come from the heater. I am also going to make a defrost for my summer windshield. The Arctic top is real easy due to the vertical windshield.

I am working on rust removal sanding and painting the new bottom. I have the part soaking in evaporust. It works fun just have to let it soak for a few days even takes the paint off. Then I his it with a light wire wheel wash it dry it and paint it with self etching primer. For my top coat I spray on the hammer forge rustolium. Seems to look nice, to me at least. 

I was reading Shadows post yesterday. He has the same heater setup and his says Willys and not Chevy. I am thinking of painting it onto the front aluminum plate so it looks like his heater. I like his setup and would love to see more pictures.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 2:21pm
I had my daughter make a vinal willys logo and then I painted out the chev logo
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 2:57pm
Love to see a real up close picture of it
RamblinCJ3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinCJ3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2022 at 10:36am
Originally posted by ace32107 ace32107 wrote:

Made. 

Thanks! Looks great! I just got my Harrison heater installed and modified it for a defroster duct. SO I was looking for ideas on doing the windshield end of the defroster.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2022 at 11:02am
Here’s an aluminum defrost duct o designed and made back in the 70’s to fit a 3A w/s.
It works much better than the 3B factory defroster.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2022 at 1:34am
The Willys logo was copied from this data plate
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 7:03pm
Some updates on my progress. I removed all the old paint and rust from my original Willys Harrison heater bottom. I have primed it and need to put the final coat of hammer forged paint.
it looks really good so far.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>