Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Demotivation & COVID-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demotivation & COVID-19
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 6:25pm
Finding myself procrastinating on wrenching on the Willys, with this COVID-19 stuff, all the rides and car shows are being cancelled, so I currently find myself lacking the motovation to get things done. 

Anyone here in the same motorboat? LOL
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
mrbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 7:08pm
To wrench on it, yes.  But, since I can't go anywhere or do anything else I AM enjoying taking some nice rides on the back roads.  A lot fewer people out driving these days.  I took my 1945 GPW on a 25 mile jaunt last night before it got dark.  Kind of nice to enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

Bill
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 7:22pm
There are several things that need to be done on Ol' Red but I am having too much fun driving her to stop for the stuff that needs to done. Nothing serious, but mostly cosmetic...maybe tomorrow?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 7:38pm
Car shows mean little to me. I get out and drive whenever I want.  So, I'd say the COVID thing has no real impact on enjoying my jeep.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:06pm
I think I do better working in high pressure/ deadline situations, I find motovation in that. I guess I'm just built that way. So this was todays procrastination project. Painted an old metal art piece I picked up at swap meet years ago. 

Edited by IRQVET - 28 May 2020 at 8:16pm
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Squishymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squishymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 4:51pm
For the first few weeks of IL lockdown starting in March, I was very unmotivated to do anything with the jeep project. It took me some time to mentally adjust, and the jeep just didn't seem too important. For me it wasn't really about shows being cancelled and such. Though I am really bummed about swap meets because this would have been prime time for finding parts that I need.

I've pretty much gotten out of that funk though, and I've been making great progress now. But we are all on difference "schedules" so just give it time :)

My one bit of advice that I apply to other projects is to give yourself just 30 minutes a day, or once a week, or whatever you feel is appropriate where you just force yourself to go out and wrench something even when  you don't feel like it. Usually that gets my gears spinning after I'm away and builds motivation. The 30 minutes etc is intentionally small enough that it's just about a useless amount of time, but something you can spare and hopefully easy enough to find.
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Squishymonster Squishymonster wrote:

... just force yourself to go out and wrench something even when  you don't feel like it. Usually that gets my gears spinning after I'm away and builds motivation. ...

"Just wrench something" works for me too.  Just getting into the garage, smelling that oil/old jeep smell puts me in a great mood and triggers memories of fun jeep times with family and friends.

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 2:09pm
I've had more time this year to work in the garage then I have in years. Reassembled my Nova, started it and broke in the cam, and put a locker in the Willys. I'm also not a big car show fan. I was when I was younger, but now if I attend a car show, I'm usually there for 1/2 hour and then I leave. I do like Woodward, though. I can go down there on a Saturday night and be there all night. Cars running and driving are fun.  Haven't been this year. My neighbor went last night. I hear it's already hopping. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 12:31pm
These are troubling times.  Wrenching on old Jeeps is a respite from it all.  Either tackle small projects or break down large ones into simple tasks.  Try to accomplish something each day and finish with a positive result.  Funny how it adds up.
With multiple flat fenders and their way ofvalways needed something will stay busy for a long time.

Then there's this website... A better group of guys I can't imagine - thank you all.
 Post Reply Post Reply